Grizzly Bear Kills Campers in Alaska

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Grizzly Bear Kills Campers in Alaska

Postby Michael W » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:17 am

This is a scary story. From the details given in the article reported by CNN, this couple was doing everything right. Their food was properly stored. They were found dead in their tent with a loaded, but unused firearm. Were they attached in their sleep? We will never know.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/06/27/bear.attack.ap/index.html
Michael W
Teardrop Master

Postby Sarge » Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:09 pm

This kind of news scares me!

With two little kids and God knows how many cheerios and cheddar fish crackers lost somewhere in my car, camping in bear country is frightening. I know a couple that had their car ripped to shreds by a bear in the pursuit of junk food wrappers. To be honest, I've avoided camping in the mountains and have planned trips to the coast to avoid bears.

Just goes to show that even if you prepare, if STUFF starts to go downhill, it can go fast! My philiosophy to date is if I can avoid it, that's the best plan.

-Sarge
-Sarge

Don't "should" on yourself, there are plenty of others who will "should" on you for no reason. Accept what you did and move on. Life is too short.

2011 Three Feathers, Pinecone
2005 Hunter HU-4, Fat Shadow - SOLD
1961 Body
Sarge
Teardrop Master

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:18 pm

Being that the brown bear no longer exists in California, I'm not worried about a bear encounter here in Northern California.
I've only had a handful of bear (Black bear) encounters my whole life, mostly while backpacking.
Most of them, the bear took off on a dead gallop away from me as soon as my pressence was detected.
Only twice have I had to bang some pots together, to shoo them away from a campsite.

Postby Michael W » Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:00 pm

It's important to note that the couple in the news were attacked and killed by a brown bear (commonally called a grizzly bear) and they were camping in the Arctic National Wildlife Reserve in Alaska. Grizzly bears can be found in the Canadian provinces of British Columbia, Alberta, Yukon, and the Northwest Territories;. Here in the us they live in Alaska, Idaho, Wyoming, Washington, and Montana.

The smaller, more common, and less dangerous Black Bears can be found throughout North America.

The best way to avoid a dangerous encounter with a bear is by learning about them before camping in bear country. Here are a couple of links to good information about how to live in harmony with bears and minimize the chances of a dangerous situation.

http://www.bebearawaresw.org/

http://www.bear.org/
Michael W
Teardrop Master

Postby Chris C » Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:00 pm

--OFFICIAL NOTICE--

The California State Department of Fish and Game is advising hikers, hunters, fishermen and golfers to take extra precautions and keep alert for grizzly bears while in the Yosemite and Mammoth areas. They advise people to wear noise-producing devices such as little bells on their clothing to alert but not startle the bear unexpectedly. They also advise carrying pepper spray in case of an encounter with a grizzly bear. It is also a good idea to watch for fresh signs of bear activity and know the difference between black bear and grizzly bear droppings. Black bear droppings are smaller and contain berries and possibly squirrel fur. Grizzly bear droppings have little bells in them and smell like pepper spray.
:lol: :? :crazy: :rofl2: :laughter:
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby cguardsman » Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:17 pm

Chris C wrote:--OFFICIAL NOTICE--

The California State Department of Fish and Game is advising hikers, hunters, fishermen and golfers to take extra precautions and keep alert for grizzly bears while in the Yosemite and Mammoth areas. They advise people to wear noise-producing devices such as little bells on their clothing to alert but not startle the bear unexpectedly. They also advise carrying pepper spray in case of an encounter with a grizzly bear. It is also a good idea to watch for fresh signs of bear activity and know the difference between black bear and grizzly bear droppings. Black bear droppings are smaller and contain berries and possibly squirrel fur. Grizzly bear droppings have little bells in them and smell like pepper spray.
:lol: :? :crazy: :rofl2: :laughter:

:rofl2:
Craig
cguardsman
Teardrop Master

Shame On You!

Postby OkieSailor » Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:40 pm

You know that pepper spray is digested and no odor is present in the bear poop. The bells on the other hand can be reused. The bells make you easy to find and the pepper spray is the spice. :D
Yes OkieSailor is an Oxymoron!!
OkieSailor
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Off Topic