Olympic National Park suggestions

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Olympic National Park suggestions

Postby Juli n Bill » Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:51 am

Hi,
Bill and I will be heading up to Port Townsend, WA the first week in August. We plan on spending 4-5 days in Port Townsend at the Wooden Kayak Rendezvous then spending a couple of days in Olympic National Park before heading back home to LA. Anyone have any suggestions on camping sites, hiking trails, must sees in the park? This will be our teardrops maiden voyage.
Thanks,
Juli n Bill
Juli n Bill
Teardrop Master

Postby vinoscooter » Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:53 pm

I allways tell folks to go to the Olympic Game Farm,Sequim wa.360-6834295..Has a driving tour,everything from Rhinoceros to polar bear,kodiak bear....you might like that...Olmpic National Park is great also...On the West end of Cresant lk is a fairly good camp ground...Nice lake,amimals running around everywhere...Elwa has a couple of camp grounds also...on the river...If you want the ocean type view go up to Lyre River Park...it's been over 10 years now since iv'e been up that way...Hiway 101 goes clear around & comes out near oregon..A great scenic drive...Heck you could spend your whole trip near port townsend & port angeles...There's a masive amount to see up that way...Myself being a long time eagle ( the club) The port angeles eagles is excellent....They'll give you all the info you need to go allmost anywhere..Remember...there can be alot of traffic up that way.Alot of those roads are still 2 lanes..Alot of info on where you want to travel can be picked uo in Townsend...Take camera,take lots of phot's...Take care..vinoscooter PS...Pick up a copy of the Washington Atlas & Gazetteer..Detailed topographic maps...Printed by DELORME There actually so good Backers, Hikers, can use them....about 10 to 15 bucks & well worth it :)
" You have enemies? Good! It means you've stood up for something at least once in your life."
WINSTON CHURCHILL
vinoscooter
Teardrop Master

Postby Juli n Bill » Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:39 pm

Thanks, I didn't know about the game park, that sounds like a neat side trip.

Juli n Bill
Juli n Bill
Teardrop Master

Postby AmyH » Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:01 pm

Juli n Bill, if you have the time here are some suggestions:
-Hurricane Ridge is a great place to check out
-if you like hot springs you can check out Olympic Hot Springs or Sol Duc Hot Springs
-the coastline is incredible, you can check out Rialto Beach and stay at Mora Campground, Kalaloch is really gorgeous as well and has a great campground
-If you work your way south down the coast you'll come to the Hoh Rainforest, which is amazing. It's near Rialto Beach, but more inland.

There are also some other nice places further south, including Ocean Shores. Anyhow, I hope that give you some good ideas. The Peninsula really is outstanding.

Have a great trip, and fill us all in afterword,
Amy
Amy
"...follow humbly whereever and to whatever abyss Nature leads, or else you shall learn nothing." T.H. Huxley

Photo Log
Camping Trips with the Tear
AmyH
*The 300 Club

Return to Off Topic