The new campfire thread...ooooh purrrrty!!!!!!

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Re: The new campfire thread...ooooh purrrrty!!!!!!

Postby toypusher » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:58 am

62 degrees now and will be about the same all day and into early tomorrow morning. Rainy off an on today and tonight. By mid morning tomorrow the temps are to drop into the 20s. Just plain weird weather.

Mark and I did get the screened building out back done with new screening yesterday and we spent some time at the range too. But, all that really put a hurting on my back. Still feeling that this morning and my knee of course is bad too. Just falling apart lately. :lol:
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Fenlason » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:26 pm

Agreed weird weather. We will generally have a January thaw about this time of year.. hmm maybe generally closer to the beginning of the month. We just drove home.. 9:30-10:00 at night and we have 53 degrees... and we have had a bit of rain. It was quite foggy driving home. We have lost a lot of snow.

I did more house work.. did some more work outside. We are supposed to quickly go back down to zero degrees.. so after all the rain.. any snow will become a solid mass. So I moved more snow while I could.. I used the roof rake and 2 of my instant garages.

I also went out with the snowdog again.. just the drive way this time. I was trying to tight turns.. seeing how tight I could turn it. I was able to do a full 360 degree turn in a less than 5 foot circle.
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey

Postby Fenlason » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:31 am

I am glad I did not bother to shovel the barn roof or my porch.. most of it has melted. We lost a lot of snow... there has also been a bit of flooding.. our trails right down back was the worst we have ever seen. We had 3 big bridges completely underwater, but thankfully they stayed in place.. or were when we checked on them. There were plenty of others.. that has water flowing around them. I will have some earth work to do come spring.

I got a call from our sales person.. on the van. We weren't really sure how much they would help us out.. in getting into a new one [financially] They did some, but not as much as I had hoped.. We hopefully have a new one on the way. They are getting it from another dealer, and that depends on that dealer's willingness. [they have been cooperative before].

We chose a few things different.... 2 bucket seats vs the 3 seated option. This way we can walk through to the back, without getting out. We also chose a slightly longer van, and a different color.
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby crttaz » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:40 am

Silly trail work.....didn't touch the trail I maintained in 2015-2016 due to Mom's health and travel obligations, but someone did keep the falls cleared and even marked the trail a little with blue spray paint dots.

Got word last night the Civitan Club sold part of their property which the bike trail uses, with permission but that might be lost. This would be a major reroute but the park commission is also planning a crushed limestone walking trail, so nothing is to be done until we know what is going on.

The good news about this is the low area that takes until June to dry out we can bypass rather than figuring out a way to make it drain better.
crttaz
Teardrop Master

Postby toypusher » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:02 am

We had a couple of inches of snow to deal with yesterday morning, but not too bad for cleanup. Got down to 6 degrees last night and has only recovered to about 20 now. It is sunny and bright. Had an electrician over to replace a circuit breaker, but might still need to run a whole new circuit for our microwave. Hope not.
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Fenlason » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:49 pm

Things have been pretty weird here. The van we had picked out.. had been sold... the second choice also isn't available right now.. We aren't really finding anything ..

I am sort of leaning toward staying with one the same size as we have now. I don't think we have been all that fussy about what we want, but there hasn't been anything close. 2 current possible options.. one our dealer has in stock.. and others at a dealership North of here by about an hour [our dealer would work out a swap] They have quite a few 2017 left overs.. { I am unsure of wanting a 2017}

And things are NOT going well at work. I knew things were a little weird.. then Angela hinted at something to Laurie in an email.. Dave did say something today.. and I stayed later to talk with Paul. I won't bother with all the details...

We did have a good snowshoe tonight. I myself haven't been snowshoeing.. because it really hurts my worse knee. Well the worse knee is getting worse.. but snowshoeing doesn't seem as painful on it. :?

Today is the 8 year anniversary of Laurie's mother's passing.. We did have a special snowshoe that night.. just before she passed.. and we had been repeating that hike each year. I was able to the last couple of years. We did get out tonight.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby toypusher » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:00 pm

Good luck with the Van situation.

Sunny and about 40 degrees here today. Really tired, but going to try to do some work out in the detached garage.
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Fenlason » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:21 pm

We did purchase a van today. We won't take delivery until next week. I wanted some time to take some of the insides out of our old one, and they are going to install a trailer hitch which needs to be ordered. I was thinking of getting one and installing it myself.. but Laurie and the sales person talked me into taking theirs installed.

We ended up with one they had on the lot.. one of two. It is the same size as our current one.. gas vs diesel.. It is a nice bright fire red. Another plus for us is it has two bucket seats vs a bucket and a 2 person bench. [we hated that bench. It was not comfortable.. and you had to get out of the vehicle to move to the back.

This are not good at work. Dave the manager is looking to leave. He's currently looking at other options. With him gone.. I think a few might get fired.. I know others will leave on their own.. and I am not sure if I am considered employed or not.. at the moment I am back to thinking not. Which feels kind of weird.. although with the ways things are going... I would not want to work there anyways.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby toypusher » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:58 am

Workplace strife/friction in NOT a good thing. I have been there - done that a few times and it never worked out well for anyone involved.

Congrats on the new van!
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Fenlason » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:53 pm

Thanks.. Yeah.. I and one of the Dave's have been working at this shop since 94...Dave when it opened.. me a few months after... Paul not long after.. hmm maybe in 98. There aren't even any close by shops to try and get into. It would sort of mean retirement for me.. which in someways is ok.. but... :roll:

We had a warmish day today. Although we worked inside the old mill today.. and it was a bit colder in there.. than outside. I don't recall if I have said that "we" are hosting a bike race inside an old woolen mill. It's going to be a blast.. we haven't gotten our lumber delivery yet.. so no real building.. but we did some stuff with pallets.. and have marked part of the course with barrier tape.. and taping marks on the floor. We need to build some more ramps.. banked turns.. and bigger ride over .. going over an open stairway. We will have maybe 1/2 mile loop thought he mill.. including an interesting office area.. in an out of smaller rooms.. narrow hallways etc.

We were supposed to work tomorrow... but there isn't much we can do right now.. so we get to work on the van tomorrow.. and it is supposed to be warmer than today.. so that will be good. :D
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:09 am

A couple inches of snow overnight. It is supposed to switch over to rain.. maybe an inch.

We haven't received our lumber delivery yet, so we were limited what we could do at the mill. We worked Saturday, but had Sunday off. Sunday we had temps above freezing and were able to get everything taken out of the van. We did leave the floor.. and of course the sprayed in foam insulation was left.

We will take delivery of the new van Friday. They will install the trailer hitch, and switch tires around. I want the new tires put on current alloy wheels, and our snow tires swapped over to the new van.

I have puttered around the house, but have not worked on any major projects.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:49 am

Rain and freezing rain.. No serious flooding here.. although there is a problem on some local rivers. We have a bit of bent over stuff from the ice.. some branches down. So far it's not bad here. There have been people with out power. I did use the bucket on the tractor to try and move some of this. It wasn't deep enough for the snowblower to do much. I was able to scrap some off the top, and what's left shouldn't be too bad... being rough and white vs a skating rink.

We finally heard from the lumber company on our materials for the race.. they sent Dave a bill for $1,000 dollars. :? I don't know what he's going to do now. They were going to support us... he sent a list.. weeks ago. He was expecting a maybe " we can't do that, but we can do this" type of thing... they did nothing for weeks.. and say they will give us $300 worth.. and we owe them $1,000 we are now .. what 2 and a half weeks away.. :? :x

I did get out for a little trail work this morning. We came across a tree down Monday on hour hike. I also new of 3 other dead trees leaning over into the trail.. I cleaned those up.. but it's tough going out there.. It's a weird snow.. and it's raining off the trees.. the stuff I cut was very wet.. and there is a lot of stuff leaning over in the trails now. We are supposed to get fairly cold for a couple of days.. then warm again. So I will probably wait before I got back out.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby toypusher » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:23 pm

It has been in the 50s since Saturday, but today only about 40 and windy. tomorrow only in 30s then back to about 50 for Friday and Saturday.
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Fenlason » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:02 pm

We were down around zero this morning.. and warmed up to the upper teens.. with a breeze.. and while it is a bit colder than what we just had.. it still felt semi balmy compared to what we had not long ago. I am not sure what tomorrow will bring.. but it is supposed to warm up again this weekend.

I was going to help Dave pick up lumber for our mill race... and now I guess they are delivering it in the morning. So I hung out at the shop for a bit.. waiting to find that out [not a big deal]. Later afternoon he came and picked up the cable spools that Dan dropped off the other day. I did go with him to help and unload them at the mill.

Our shop Bkool ride in a few.. we just did a little warm up ride.

I am supposed to take delivery of our new van tomorrow. I am to drop off the old one.. so they can switch tires around... they will also install the hitch. Depending on when the lumber is delivered.. I will go help take care of that.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:56 pm

I did quite well in the main ride last night. My computer froze up right at the start.. Doing that It's like riding blind, for I can't see what's going on. So I had to chase fairly hard from the start.. I worked to 3rd place.. but 2 started real hard. One of them always starts hard, but we eventually catch him and pass him.

I ended up in No man's land.. those 2 out front.. and some strong riders a bit behind me.. riding together in a group.. taking turns pulling for each other.. and I all alone. I do like that I can just put my head down.. and ride at my pace, but I was real worried about that chase group. Also for some reason my pulse monitor wasn't working. I worked hard...quite hard.. but I did hold back just a little.. to help pace myself. Of the 2 up front.. one of them started dropping from the other.. and I was slowly catching him. I have hoping to work with him.. to re-catch the lead... well I dropped him. I did slowly gain on first place.. but I never caught him.. and I did slowly gain more time on my chase group. It was a pretty strong chase group and I felt pretty good about my ride. [I do feel it today though] [it's a good hurt though] ;)

This morning to the dealer.. for the van swap.. they gave me a loaner while they did the work. I was there for 9:00.. our lumber delivery was supposed to be between 8:00 and 9:00. Dave and Dick were there to meet it. I called after I left the dealer.. and it wasn't there yet.. so I "ran" out. Come 10:00 still nothing.. so Dave calls.. and they say they will be there at 11:00. They didn't get there till noon. We were all pretty steamed.. until we saw the truck.. a BIG truck and it was loaded. Most of it was pallets [we had asked for them also] but there was a lot of lumber also.

Once unloaded.. I had to leave for the dealer again.. I returned the loaner.. picked up the new van.. grabbed lunch... Laurie left work early and we went back to the mill.. to get to work.

Bruce [who was there today also] Laurie and I will be there tomorrow.. Dave and Angela later in the day.. and then some of us will be back Sunday.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic