The new campfire thread...ooooh purrrrty!!!!!!

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Re: The new campfire thread...ooooh purrrrty!!!!!!

Postby Fenlason » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:06 am

I have been waking up grouchy.. but get better through the day.. that's been the last few days. :roll: I did get out and work on the barn.. I was sweating buckets.. just staining in the shade. Laurie did her first ride without me last night.. My neck and wrist were rather painful.. and I was pretty tired from our recent rides. I did get on the bkool for an easy ride.

We are supposed to get less humid later today... showery tomorrow. Laurie is taking the afternoon off.. to help me get that next wall done.

Hopefully work tomorrow. Then my appointment Friday.. It will be good that least get some news.. and to know what we are doing.. etc.
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey

Postby Fenlason » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:27 am

A few weeks ago we had the 6 hour race. I was sort of supposed to do it. While I didn't know I was as bad as I am [neck stuff] I felt it wasn't in my best interest to do it. A co-worker had been saying all along he couldn't do the race for he had to work. For the race team.. for him.. I offered to work for him so he could race. An important part of that.. we would have "had" to go to a baby shower.. if I wasn't racing.. or working.

Laurie would go to the race with our manager.. for support etc.. and I work for Paul. Paul says he doesn't want to do the race.. He didn't want to do the race.. but didn't want others to know.. using the have to work as an excuse.

Well another co-worker.. wanted to race..soooo I worked for him.

Well there is another race this weekend.. and the first co-worker wants to do that.. and is asking if I will work for him.

I don't work weekends... one of the reasons I haven't offered.. for you do it once.. and then... more and more :NC :NC :roll:

Paul asked.. I said no.. and he just asked again this morning....
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby toypusher » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:03 am

Yeah, working weekends is one of the biggest reasons that I don't work at the golf course anymore. I still work some Saturdays when we have weather issues during the week, but it is not every Saturday or Sunday like at the golf course. Gonna be another hot and very humid day today. Hoping to get enough done today to make tomorrow a very short day.
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby toypusher » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:49 pm

Man it is miserable outside today. Humidity is through the roof and it is hot too. Upper 80s now. Only worked 3.5 hours today and most likely will only work about 4 hours tomorrow. At least I should not have to work this weekend. :)
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Fenlason » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:53 pm

We had quite a bit of rain today.. heavy this morning.. I did stop later in the day.. and semi cleared this evening.

We are supposed to be cooler tonight..

I did work today... :D I think only my second time this month.. :roll:

Oh.. they changed my appointment yesterday.. I wasn't happy. I don't go until Monday now.

We did get a bit of work done on the wall yesterday. We have a little bit more to do.. but not a lot [on that section] I was debating what to work on next. I have two bigger projects on this end.. and I don't want to get into it this weekend. I do have other work to do on the other end yet. I have staining and trim yet to do on the porch also...
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:14 pm

I almost quit today... :o

Dave my manager and team manger was "hinting" that Jamie really wanted to Paul to race with him tomorrow.. could I work. He's giving me all this team crap... in the past.. our previous boss would let Paul go... and David [another dave.. would work alone.. ] well Dave and Paul have been feuding.. so I guess Paul won't ask.. or David doesn't want to or the new manager doesn't like it... I don't know. At the moment I would probably be a detriment to Dave working tomorrow anyways. We generally don't do repairs on Saturdays.. I am horrid on the sales floor..a nd I can't lift more than 25 pounds.. so I can't even retrieve repaired bikes for people.

I came... that close to giving my notice... it's not over yet.. so it still may happen. :roll:

On the plus side.. we have gotten a bit of work done on the barn..
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:27 pm

I am still not in a great mood.. :( :x :R Face book isn't working for me.. or not completely.. I have tried everybody's suggestions.. and all I can come up with after some searching.. I am being "punished" by FB for something... it could be a few hours to a few days... :thinking: :roll:

We woke to a cloudy and drizzly day. We started working on the barn.. I did have a few pertained pieces we could put up.

Laurie then suggested we go do some trail work... I wasn't sure what I could do... that I should be doing.. but headed out. We were heading to a certain trail and missed the turn for that area.. so we were going around in a longer , but easier, direction. On our new route.. we went by a place we had talked of putting in a trail. We have on and off wanted a trail in this area.. and have walked the area a bit.. and we always ended up unsure.

We have polished a trail leading to this area.. so it is a new favorite.. and faster trail. Walking, flagging and pruning... would be fairly easy.. so... we went for it. We also cross another trail doing this. Heading south from where we cross was fairly easy and direct. It will be fast and fun.. heading south [it's also downhill in that direction. On the North said.. it was more work. More work to choose the route.. and more work to clear it. Again we wanted it faster and more open... BUT.. we found some rock mounds and and separate big rocks.. I was looking and wondering about utilizing them.. but Laurie was the first to say something aloud. The middle twist and turns a bit.. and heads over a bit of interesting terrain. We might choose to build some easier B lines around or though that area. We got the whole trail roughed out quite well.. and it was a bit past lunch.. so we headed back.

We have puttered on the barn some... since.

I am still thinking of giving my notice Tuesday... :o
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby toypusher » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:16 am

Sorry to hear you are having problems at work. I sure have been there - done that a few times. Hope it gets better so you don't have to leave.

We should be a lot busier this week. Had lots of rain Friday night that should make most everything pop again. Have two pretty good sized bush trimming and small tree removal jobs for Monday plus we plan to start mowing Monday too vs starting on Tuesday.
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Fenlason » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:23 am

We got a bit done on the barn this weekend... without killing ourselves. We also did more trail work.

My appointment is this morning. It's an hour or so away.. I think we are heading out around 7:30.

Work... I work there because I love it.. and if it becomes more hassle than love.. I leave. I don't make all that much a year.. and it really only helps support our habit. It is nice for that... but freedom would be nice also.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:07 pm

Well we are back from the appointment. I was first told that we would be seeing a PA [vs the surgeon] and I was apprehensive about that. although I didn't need to be. The PA.. we liked very much. He was very personable.. and knowledgeable... and thorough. We were pleased to learn.. that most of the neck.. at least from their perspective.. was in in pretty good shape. The bad area how ever was VERY bad. Looking at the MRI was pretty scary. The area between C5 and C6.. the spinal cord is quite compressed. The nerves leaving the cord.. out the the arms etc.. are of course impacted also.. but the spinal cord itself is off course quite serious. The nice thing about it's severity.. is it makes the decision to do surgery an easy one. The PA has received the same surgery... from the same Doctor.. so he could tell me first hand... not just what he has learned or seen of other patients. They will remove some bone.. I will also get some screws and rods installed.. I will loose some range of motion but he said minimal. I will have the surgery in just over 2 weeks. hmm I don't recall the recovery time.. he said being active that will be my hardest part of this. I won't be able to do anything for 2 weeks... but then I can start.. some therapy and some stuff. It sounds like the worse.. will be recovering from the muscles they have to cut. Although it sounds like this Dr. does not need a very big incision. about an inch.

Barring things go ok at work tomorrow.. I will be on light duty for 2 weeks.. then out for at least 2 weeks.. so I might be done for the season at that point.. so that will buy us some time..
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby toypusher » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:18 am

Sounds like you neck problem is very much like my back was. Hopefully you will get great results and be better than before.
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Nobody » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:37 pm

Glenn, best of luck with your surgery. Hope it turns out to only a minor inconvenience & you recover quickly & thoroughly! We wish you the best. :)
Harvey -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Doing the right thing ain't always easy but, . . . it's always right!
Nobody
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Fenlason » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:13 pm

Thank you Kerry, Harvey and Mrs Harvey.

Kerry I just learned I am done work for the season. :D I figured I would wait out the situation and if Dave didn't bring it up.. I wouldn't. The owner was meeting with the manager when I left.. and part of their discussion was the workload. Perhaps my light duty.. and or up coming surgery might have influenced "things" maybe not. I suspected that by the time I was recovered enough from the surgery to work.. my season would be probably over. So it's only a matter of 4 days.. but 4 days here vs at work.. will be good.

I think I will plan to try to get that next wall section done. I have old corrugated fiberglass glazing I need to replace. I will use a bit less of it than what is there now. It will be framed in better.. and that whole wall will get a new layer of shiplapped board installed.

I guess I will be making a trip to the lumber yard in the morning. :)
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby toypusher » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:55 am

Done for the season - sounds like that is a good thing at this point. Too bad you will have some down time soon too.

I am definitely not done for the season. It is almost too hot and humid to work past noon or 1 this week. We are starting an hour early this morning, but the grass is wet so we can not start too early. Should not be too bad this morning, but will have to see. Hope to get caught up today - we are about 2 hours behind in our mowing schedule and have extra to do this week.
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Fenlason » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:51 am

Yes.. done for the season sounds great. It sort of caught me off guard. In the more recent past.. I have worked way past their real need for me.. and past my desire to work. With a lot of work to do here.. and back then.. not all that much at work to.. I would always get stir crazy.

The new owners and manager.. won't be doing that. When they think they can handle the work themselves.. I am done... which will be better for all of us.

Laurie is taking the next 2 afternoons off. So between that and the weekend.. we hope to get this next wall done. I have been out early to strip the old glazing off the wall.

I still want to get the trim on the upper wall we did. We will play it safe and fill the wood shed. We will still have lawns to mow.. and a few other things to do.. but I think we will be fine. If we have more time.. there is wall stuff we can do on the back side of the barn.. that can be done piece meal.

It is supposed to be another hot and steamy one again today.. so it will be hard to keep at it.. hopefully we can keep at it.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic