Pet camping secrets

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Re: Pet camping secrets

Postby atahoekid » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:05 am

interesting bit of information. I saw part of an episode of "Dog Whisperer" where Caesar Milan put a sign around a dog. The sign said something like "Dog in Training", Don't touch, Don't Look, Don't Talk to the dog... Maybe that would work on my Mollie... I don't remember why they put the sign on the dog but it was a shop dog and the dog did eventually accept people. HMMMMM
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby samblam » Sat May 16, 2015 10:34 pm

Resurrecting this old thread because I wanted to share my recent adventures with my pup and my methods.*

I've been lucky to camp mostly solo in some NF campgrounds this past winter. The last two trips have allowed my pup to show-off a new skill: catching rodents. I have brought a tie out and a harness for a while now, but when alone I like to let him roam- as long as no deer/elk are nearby. I'm thinking of loaning him out as a mouser. Any takers? In all seriousness, it just reaffirms the need for the tie out, no matter the situation. I would like to prevent any issues rather than react to them!

The tie-out isn't always the best solution for him, though. He really really wants to play with squirrels and birds (not eat them, of course) and gets quite upset when they won't get in his mouth, I mean, play. When he gets really riled up and lets out these squeaky barks he gets crated. When he chews on one too many sticks, he gets crated. When he won't leave my friends alone when they are trying to eat their food, he gets crated. Needless to say, the crate is a wonderful contraption!

He sleeps next to me in the tent (trailer is getting picked up in the next week or two!) and my biggest concern with that is his comfort/warmth and cleanliness. I pack a blanket and his backpacking doggy bed for his sleeping arrangements. He probably found a fish carcass to roll in while we walking along the lakeshore, so doggy wipes are excellent. I get the Burt's Bees wipes from Petstoreofchoice and it keeps him fresh and so clean. For wet days-I just invested in an additional pack towel, for his exclusive use (he will carry it in his Ruffwear pack), so hopefully that will lighten my car load down from a full-sized towel. I've thought about a doggy rain jacket, but he's a large Heinz 57 and I wouldn't want to lead to overheating.

One thing that has been difficult for him is intestinal issues/food sensitivity. I finally tried out the Honest Kitchen because the dehydrated approach greatly intrigued me. To be able to cut down on weight and size, as long as water is available, is a great advantage! I keep feeding him half kibble/half HK so it could be a quick transition to either one in a pinch.

New things added to the thread, in summary: make them carry their own stuff when hiking/backpacking,
-doggy wipes save your nose,
-dehydrated food is great!

*My methods are constantly under construction
samblam
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Mary C » Sun May 17, 2015 12:07 am

I'm glad you bumped this thread. I am just getting to camp with my little 11 pound squirrel dog. He is not fast enough to catch the poor animal but has provided many enjoyable minutes watching him go after and watch the top of the tree for a long time after the squirrel has left the tree. He will sit ever so still with just his tail wagging. He will not take his eyes off the last place he saw that varmit. He loves to cuddle and is very sweet. I have no trouble leaving him in the camper ,front seat of the truck, or anywhere on a tie out. I have been very lucky to have had him arrive at my house. This reminds me that I have to get his papers copied, pictures and a made up lost dog papers made up.

Mary C.
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby troubleScottie » Sun May 17, 2015 6:10 am

Although I have never camped with a dog, I have traveled around the world with dogs -- car trips, planes, etc. We attend a lot of dog shows. Depending on the show, we have a various setups indoors and outdoors with easy-up(s), pens, generators, etc. One might consider this a form of day camping. We travel with anywhere from 1 to 5 dogs.

As to where the dog rides, a size appropriate crate is the best place. Safe and contained. Yes, I have ridden with them on my lap. But much safer in a crate. Crates can be plastic, aluminum, wood and metal grate. The crate provides a reasonable secure place to put the dog when you are away from your setup. At least our experience is the dog are less active when in their crates.

Most dogs do not enjoy the first road trips especially puppies. But they do get used to it. Especially if the destination is enjoyable. The big issue is stopping every 3-6 hours to allow them some leg stretching time. Given very long flights, the dogs have done well even on trans-Atlantic and trans-Pacific flights (6 -18 hr). I sometimes think they get a better ride in their crates than I do in the cabin.

Foods as stated numerous times before should be same as at home and preferably the same time of day. We generally take 1 gallon zip-lock bags of kibble. In a pinch, go for similar quality food where you are at. Turkey patties (cooked) [low fat] as well as cooked chicken are a good replacements if nothing else is available. Our dogs are not picky eaters -- generally only concerned with getting feed. I have never seen issues with the local municipal water. Obviously they do not drink from streams or lakes. We do carry bottled water most of the time.

For when you are "camped", dog pens are really great. They come in different lengths (usually 16', so a 4' x 4' box ) and heights ( 24",30",36",48"). They can be combined to make bigger area. They fold reasonably flat. There are fabric covers for the sides and straw(?) mats for the base. You can get tops and elevated floors for the pens ( look for cocker pens ) to keep the escape artists in and the dogs off the ground. Pens do offer a potty area especially on rainy days. They are available in most national chains or via mail order or at a dog shows. There is generally a vendor or two with most of this.

The biggest concern is heat. Dogs need to be keep cool. We often bring box fans to cool them on hot days. There are battery powered crate fans. You can also use various covers to shade the dog(s). Easyup with side panels are a good starting point. There are vented and reflective covers which provide a better shade. You might look at dog shows for custom covers. Cars are generally the worst place as they overheat quickly in hot weather. Most dogs do well down to freezing if they can be off the ground and out of the wind.

We have Scottish Terriers who would eat the local critters and generally defend us (read bark at ) any dog that approaches. Generally we have to remind the other dog owners that although their dogs may not bite, ours can. One should always presume a strange dog will not behave. Since our dogs are not necessarily under voice command, they are always on a leash when walking. The flexi-leads are the best idea. Allows for some ranging yet can be retracted to at your side. I have heard other rave about the harnesses rather than a collar. I personally have never tried a harness.
Michael Krolewski
Scottish Terrier Fancier
troubleScottie
Donating Member

Postby PKCSPT » Sun May 17, 2015 6:23 am

a leash
the commands leave it and no bark are probably my first secrets.
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby samblam » Sun May 17, 2015 5:43 pm

Harnesses are wonderful if you're worried about the dog close-lining themselves. But the biggest advantage of a harness over a collar for my 70lb bud? The front ring. It prevents him from dragging me around because if he tries to take off after something it pulls him around. Love it.
samblam
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Off Topic