Yellowmeat Watermelon

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Yellowmeat Watermelon

Postby Todah Tear » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:16 pm

What is the best time to plant yellowmeat watermelon seeds? I have been thinking about getting a plot or two in the community garden, so I'm trying to figure out how much time I have to prepare the soil....or is it too late in the season.

Thanks,

Todahs
"It is not good to have zeal without knowledge, nor to be hasty and miss the way." Proverbs 19:2 Image
Todah Tear
Platinum Donating Member

Re: Yellowmeat Watermelon

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:44 pm

It differs by area; but, it would be roughly the same time as regular watermelon. If you want to be certain, go to the local hardware or nursery store and look at the map on the back of the seed packet for watermelon or simply ask the local nursery person. To me, it seems kind of late to be planting seeds for this year's crop.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Nobody » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:54 pm

Todah, they're already pickin' ripe watermelons in Hope, AR so I expect it's waaaay too late to plant this year in Texas. We always planted melons here in central AR in usually early April. My dad always planted by 'the signs' (Zodiac) & he raised fine melons. He said if ya plant 'em when dogwood leaves are the size of a squirrel's ear you'll have melons to eat by July 4th ;) I doubt if the color of the 'meat' makes much difference in growth period. Good luck!
Last edited by Nobody on Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harvey -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Doing the right thing ain't always easy but, . . . it's always right!
Nobody
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Todah Tear » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:25 pm

Thanks S. Heisly

Thanks Harvey. This is the kind of info that I was looking for. I was looking for someone who has actually planted some. Arkansas and Texas climates are similar. This southern climate is so different that what is on the package may not apply. My folks have all kinds of fruit trees and they have planted watermelons...but not yellowmeat. I had heard a long time ago that the yellowmeat melons get ripe in August. I wasn't sure how true that was. I guess I'll try next year :cry: .
"It is not good to have zeal without knowledge, nor to be hasty and miss the way." Proverbs 19:2 Image
Todah Tear
Platinum Donating Member

Yellowmeat Watermelon

Postby T&CLongmire » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:21 pm

I grow "Desert Kings" every year. Latest I have ever planted was mid may. I live 15 miles south of the Red River. Desert Kings are beyond a doubt the best yellow meater I have ever tasted. They get big, I've gotten some 60 pounders. Best part about em, drought resistant. And in Texas, that's a good thing. I have harvested as late as October. Look em up on the web.
T&CLongmire
Teardrop Builder

Postby Tumbleweed_Tex » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:48 am

Considering the cost of a packet of seeds, what would it hurt planting them right now?
I’m on the upper coast, and I’ve known it to be past Thanksgiving before a killing frost came visiting. You might get lucky. If not, what did you lose?

Depends, of course, on your location in the great state…it’s a big place.

Go for it…
Tumbleweed_Tex
cowboy storyteller extraordinaire

Postby Todah Tear » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:32 pm

* T&CLongmire, IMHO, yellowmeat watermelon tastes so much better than red meat; it is a different kind of sweet too! :R Sherman is not that far from where I am either.

** Tumbleweed_Tex, you make a good case. The potential benefits far outway the cost of a new pack of seeds...besides that I have some seeds from a melon that I had a few years ago. I'll plant those too and tag them.

Thanks guys. If this plan goes through, there may just be chilled yellowmeat watermelon served at the SouthCentral Loyd Park gathering this fall! :worship:

Stay tuned!

Todah
Todah Tear
Platinum Donating Member

Yellowmeat Watermelon

Postby T&CLongmire » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:26 pm

Todah Tear wrote:* T&CLongmire, IMHO, yellowmeat watermelon tastes so much better than red meat; it is a different kind of sweet too! :R Sherman is not that far from where I am either.

** Tumbleweed_Tex, you make a good case. The potential benefits far outway the cost of a new pack of seeds...besides that I have some seeds from a melon that I had a few years ago. I'll plant those too and tag them.

Thanks guys. If this plan goes through, there may just be chilled yellowmeat watermelon served at the SouthCentral Loyd Park gathering this fall! :worship:

Stay tuned!

Todah

My family loves the yellow meters, but you never see them in the store or at farmers markets anymore. So I have grown my own most times. You might be able to get a few melons if you plant soon, and a few are worth the effort. You will need to pour the water to them having missed the spring rains. Lay down some wheat straw or hay heavy to keep the bottoms cool. I would put some soaker hoses on timers. And some shade for the afternoon sun or the melons will over heat and pop on you. I get my seeds from Gurneys, they may not ship this late. One other thing Desert Kings are 85 day melons. Oh one other thing, the prospect of yellow meaters, cold ones at that, make the prospect of the SouthCentral Lloyd Park gathering a sweet proposition.

Tim
T&CLongmire
Teardrop Builder

Postby Todah Tear » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:09 pm

I went out to Lowes yesterday and they had put all of their seeds up, but there are some independent nursery and feed stores around here that may still have some seeds out. I agree, even 1 or 2 melons are worth the effort!

You are right about the availability of the yellow meat melons. You don't normally find them in the grocery store. When I was interning up at Lake Murray Chapel, there was an elderly couple that set up shop on the side of the road on one of those back FMs. Throughout that summer, they were my melon "pushers" :twisted: . I was able to get at least 2 or 3 yellow meat from them...but that was over 8 years ago.

UPDATE: I just purchased some seeds on Amazon.com, $2.75 for a pack of 40 seeds + $1.99 shipping. I'll need to get at least 1 1/2 melons to get a good ROI (return on investment) 8) .

Todah
Todah Tear
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Todah Tear » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:51 pm

Well its 2014 and I finally got those Yellowmeat watermelon seeds planted in the right season; I also planted some Crimson Sweet. I know the vines will run. I am going to wind whichever ones grow in a circle. I'll need to get some straw before the melons come so they won't overheat, as was suggested.

I used an above ground planters sold by Home Depot -

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION: Raised Garden bed made of breathable fabric, easy to set up, just fill with potting soil mix and plant your garden. Great for veggies or flowers in your yard or on your deck or patio. No tools needed to install.
22"H x 45" Diameter

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Root-Pouch-150-Gal-Planter-Breathable-Fabric-Planting-Containers-and-Pots-1-Pack-RR800-150/203426361#.UckVcJzRmRM

My humble garden

Todah Tear
Platinum Donating Member

Postby HMK » Thu May 08, 2014 11:56 am

Todah Tear wrote:I went out to Lowes yesterday and they had put all of their seeds up, but there are some independent nursery and feed stores around here that may still have some seeds out. I agree, even 1 or 2 melons are worth the effort!

You are right about the availability of the yellow meat melons. You don't normally find them in the grocery store. When I was interning up at Lake Murray Chapel, there was an elderly couple that set up shop on the side of the road on one of those back FMs. Throughout that summer, they were my melon "pushers" :twisted: . I was able to get at least 2 or 3 yellow meat from them...but that was over 8 years ago.

UPDATE: I just purchased some seeds on Amazon.com, $2.75 for a pack of 40 seeds + $1.99 shipping. I'll need to get at least 1 1/2 melons to get a good ROI (return on investment) 8) .

Todah

Sorry,

I just noticed your post. How are they looking? Back when I lived on a farm, I grew a few melons. Try Baker Creek for seeds. I've bought lots of seeds from them and they are a good company in my opinion. I've even done a few "grow outs" for them.
HMK
Teardrop Master

Postby Todah Tear » Tue May 13, 2014 9:40 pm

The shoots are at 4 to 5 inches now! I plan on running the vines in a circle for starters as they get longer and longer as opposed to letting them run all around the yard. This is an experiment with potentially long vines and small space 8) .

Todah
Todah Tear
Platinum Donating Member

Return to Off Topic