Random Thought

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Postby TonyCooper » Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:27 am

Laredo wrote:Ordinarily I would adhere to Mike's rules and not go into politics, but that last paragraph you quoted -- that the government only has one purpose, which is to protect people -- is so very, very wrong that I just wanted to throw up.

Ummm....

Please take a moment and reread the statement...

"The same forces that have caused the deterioration of performance across the public sector, from shameful public schools to the slow ruin of New Orleans, are now eroding government's ability to perform its one, undisputed function--providing for the citizenry's personal security. I can think of one thing that shouldn't be part of the solution: more of the same."

Mr. Henninger is NOT saying that the government's only function is to protect people... He is saying it is the ONLY FUNCTION that everyone agrees on no matter what their political ilk. And it is being eroded because of government inefficiency and red tape.
Tony

My Tear Build Site

"No comment"
TonyCooper
Official Pot Stirrer

Postby madjack » Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:27 am

...I must disagree most strongly...the last thing I wish to do and one of the things wrong with this country is people relying on the government to take care of our PERSONAL SECURITY....they may take care of the countries(as a whole) security, as in "provide for a common defense" but leave me the responsibility to take care of my own personal security.
If all of the people in New Orleans who were screaming for the government to come and help them had taken PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY for their own security, they wouldn't have been crying on TV for someone to come and take care of them

madjack(armed, dangerous and well supplied) 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Nitetimes » Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:30 am

Very well put madjack, I believe we should have to be responsible for ourselves and less dependent on the government, wouldn't that give people something to whine about.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby TonyCooper » Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:58 am

Madjack, my own personal opinion is right on target with your observations.
Tony

My Tear Build Site

"No comment"
TonyCooper
Official Pot Stirrer

Postby cracker39 » Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:15 am

madjack wrote:...I must disagree most strongly...the last thing I wish to do and one of the things wrong with this country is people relying on the government to take care of our PERSONAL SECURITY....they may take care of the countries(as a whole) security, as in "provide for a common defense" but leave me the responsibility to take care of my own personal security.

madjack(armed, dangerous and well supplied) 8)

Florida has taken a bold move in the area of personal security. Florida has had a pretty easy procedure to obtain concealed weopons permits, but now made a law that empowers people (quoting from our local newspaper Oct 2) "who feel threatened in the street or anywhere else to use force, including a firearm, to protect themselves". This law can, and probably will, have a down side, as "it also empowers people who are on edge and have violent tendacies to presume a situation is dangerous to them that may not be". The law that was passed 94 to 20, has raised serious questions as to the risks it poses. Will it make life here safer or riskier? Will traffic brawls turn into shootouts?

People have long been held to have the right to stand their ground if attcked in their home (if he's outside your house and trying to kill you or your family, shoot him and drag him inside before you call the cops). That was based on a legal concept derived from English Common Law known as the "castle doctrine". Now, the concept of a person's "castle" has been expanded to include a person's "personal space in a car, or anywhere else he or she is entitled to be". Good or bad, this law does give us the right to defend ourselves wherever we are. When you come to Florida, watch out for the piston packing geezers down here.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby SteveH » Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:24 am

Dale,

Texas has recently passed a simular law. We've had the right to licensed concealed carry for a few years and it has been a major success with very few crimes committed by licensed people, and it seems to have reduced some types of crime.

However, this year it has become legal for anyone over the age of 18, I believe but not sure of the age, to carry a concealed hand gun in a vehicle. I'm in full support of licesened concealed carry as it has been proven that law abiding citizens do not commit crimes. BUT, to give the right to carry to all citizens without background checks or training is cause for concern, IMHO.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Laredo » Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:55 pm

An armed society, somebody said a long time ago, is a polite society.

Might've been Dumas. Might've been before him. Was apropos in the days of the Musketeers, and again in the days of Bat Masterson.

You are all perfectly entitled to disagree with me.
I quoted the passage from the Constitution to show the intent of the founders. I don't for a minute believe a one of them from Ben Franklin to James Madison would put up with the crooked pile of crap that passes for a government in this country today, and that's my last word on the subject.
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Off Topic