Any Cedar Strip Boat Builders?

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Re: Any Cedar Strip Boat Builders?

Postby Larry C » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:59 pm

tac422 wrote:[quote="Corwin C] They're made from cedar fence boards that were ripped into strips 1/4" thick and then glued together over a set of forms that gave the canoe its shape."

I like this idea... it'd be easy to cut the strips. Do they have to be routered ? and to what shape ?
Thanks ![/quote][/quote][/quote]

Cove and bead strips are one method. the other is cut the strips square, and bevel each strip with a block plane. I have done it both ways.

"If its worth doing it's worth doing Light"

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=35852
Larry C
500 Club

Postby Corwin C » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:47 pm

tac4422 wrote:
Corwin C wrote: They're made from cedar fence boards that were ripped into strips 1/4" thick and then glued together over a set of forms that gave the canoe its shape."

I like this idea... it'd be easy to cut the strips. Do they have to be routered ? and to what shape ?
Thanks !

I used a small hand block plane (very sharp and set very thin) to help ease the angle on areas where the curve was pronounced. One quick pass makes a big difference, but most of it I left the strip edges square. When I carry mine over my head, I can see spots/streaks where little peeks of light come through, but most of the time it's not noticeable.

pchast wrote:...
He used a slightly different method of building. We used bungee cords.

It was a ticklish technique. A wrap every 6-8 inches avoided the use of all but a few tacks to the form. Too tight and the strips would 'fold' away from the form. TB2 for glue...

We used little binder clamps from the office supply, some string, and old milk jugs of water for clamps. You put the binder clip over the new strip and adjust the string from the jug to the clip "handle" to pull them together. Adjustable by using varying weight in the jugs and the length of string. Also the string passing along the outside surface helped hold the strips against the form without resorting to nails or staples. In tricky situations, you could use both "handles" on the clip to hold in more than one direction.
Corwin
Image Image Image
If I am unwilling to stand up straight before the world and admit what I have accomplished during the day, without excuses, in complete and honest detail, then I can do better ...
and no one should be expected to accept anything less.
-- myself
Corwin C
500 Club

Postby angib » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:01 pm

What would look really nice as a strip-plank build would be a Bowlus Papoose.

papoose02s.jpg
papoose02s.jpg (50.99 KiB) Viewed 982 times

It can't be built any smaller, since the entry has to be at the front over the tongue, in case anyone is thinking of that. And I do have a set of plans mostly drawn.
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Larry C » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:22 pm

Andrew,
It would be a good candidate for strip building :thumbsup: . The skin fairing would require a 2 man fairing board though :lol: The axle looks like its pretty far back?

Larry C

Larry C
500 Club

Postby Larry C » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:32 pm

pchast wrote:Becky,

John Michne was the instructor for our class. his web site is http://michneboat.com/Web%20site%20home.htm

He used a slightly different method of building. We used bungee cords.

It was a ticklish technique. A wrap every 6-8 inches avoided the use of all but a few tacks to the form. Too tight and the strips would 'fold' away from the form. TB2 for glue...

Mixing and applying the epoxy was not difficult using a clear measured disposable cup with the mixing cup inserted into it. We never mixed a batch larger than 6-8 oz total. It was normally less than 1/2 that unless there were 3-4 of us to spread it. We used Nitrile gloves.

Glad to see John Michne is still building boats. I know John from years ago. He has built some really beautiful boats, especially ADK Guide Boats.

Larry C

Larry C
500 Club

Postby fire on water » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:58 pm

Hello I am new to this site and have built several strip built kayaks and canoes. The re are many sites on the subject but the most informative to me are guillomot kayaks. Laughing loon kayaks and one ocean kayak. There are also many books on it. I took a class in Maine at the wood boat school but there are others. Building a stripper is very enjoyable and I recommend it they are very light also the boat in this picture weighs 22 pounds
fire on water
Teardrop Inspector

Postby pchast » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:39 pm

Glad to see John Michne is still building boats. I know John from years ago. He has built some really beautiful boats, especially ADK Guide Boats.

Larry C

Yes Larry that's his specialty. We were invited to his shop and saw one he was completing, Beautiful work. :D
Its amazing what he accomplishes in his garage.
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby grantstew8 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:38 am

angib wrote:What would look really nice as a strip-plank build would be a Bowlus Papoose.

papoose02s.jpg

It can't be built any smaller, since the entry has to be at the front over the tongue, in case anyone is thinking of that. And I do have a set of plans mostly drawn.

I'm really interested in your idea. I've tried to work out how to dimension aluminum sheet from a cad drawing and having read up online it looks complex with lots of importing and exporting.
Using strip plank you're only interested in the overall shape and the shape of the sections that hold the strip plank in position. I can do all of that in sketchup.

If you're happy to share the drawing please PM with the details. I've been looking at this model for a while and trying to get to point where I can draw it in sketchup.

I'm almost finished my first TD and I can sense this will be my second project! :twisted:
grantstew8
The 300 Club

Postby Larry C » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:51 am

It looks like the design might also be a candidate for stitch and glue construction using thin plywood panels. Or maybe a hybrid of strips where there is a tight radius, and plywood panels everywhere else. :thinking:

Larry C
500 Club

Postby angib » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:47 pm

Larry C wrote:It looks like the design might also be a candidate for stitch and glue construction using thin plywood panels.

Well, here is exactly this idea, but at scale size only. I took the Papoose sections and input them into some (free) boat software to generate the strakes shown below. The 'customer' for this job then made a card model by stitch-and-glue (well, sticky-tape) method.

papoose-upper-strakes.JPG
papoose-upper-strakes.JPG (70.49 KiB) Viewed 898 times

papoose-model-1.jpg
papoose-model-1.jpg (41.2 KiB) Viewed 898 times

papoose-model-2.jpg
papoose-model-2.jpg (42.46 KiB) Viewed 898 times
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby tac422 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:00 pm

Other than what I'm reading on the interweb, I don't know a whole lot about this, but:
I found somebody who can provide "Southern Red" cedar in probably any size I want.
He made note that it is not "Western" cedar. I think this means more knots, softer, and more color.
Anybody know if this is a problem ?

I'm thinking a 12' canoe, is that too small ?
Thanks in advance !
tac422
500 Club

Postby Larry C » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:20 pm

tac422 wrote:Other than what I'm reading on the interweb, I don't know a whole lot about this, but:
I found somebody who can provide "Southern Red" cedar in probably any size I want.
He made note that it is not "Western" cedar. I think this means more knots, softer, and more color.
Anybody know if this is a problem ?

I'm thinking a 12' canoe, is that too small ?
Thanks in advance !

I believe that's Aromatic cedar like they line closets with. If it is, it's pretty brittle and full of knots. There are lots of fairly light weight woods other than Western Red Cedar that can be used for boat building.

Larry C
500 Club

Previous

Return to Off Topic