spark plug and old v 8 motor.

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Re: spark plug and old v 8 motor.

Postby PaulC » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:21 pm

If it didn't strip the thread then it was loose and worked it's way out until the compression finally blew it out. Simple preventative maintenance would have prevented it. If it overheats then I would suggest a bigger radiator. It probably runs on high revs at slow speed. That will do it every time with those old v8's.
Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby Treeview » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:29 pm

From running wood chippers for years I've learned a lot about keeping stationary engines cool.

My guess is that the radiator on a bailer might have a LOT of fines clogging the fins. Start with a hose and blast out the crud from both sides of the radiator. After that it might need a pressure washer smack-down.

One chipper radiator developed leaks in the fins so I pulled it and headed to the radiator shop. As I walked in the door The Man looked at my radiator and said, 'Brush chipper?!' He knew! It needed to be recored because the sawdust had been trapped in the fins and corroded too many tubes. The core that he used had more space between the fins so that the sawdust would pass through and not clog. After that it was Cool Running!

The next chipper I bought had a 'pusher fan' where the air would be pushed from the engine out through the radiator instead of sucking in the dusty air.

I don't know enough about cooling configurations to suggest that the fan be put on backwards. That might lead to the fan breaking...be careful!

Tom
Treeview
The 300 Club

Postby Kody » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:37 pm

If you take the fan off and turn it over, it will still move the air in the original direction. It just wont be as efficient in doing so. The only way to reverse the air flow is to use a fan with the pitch of the blades reversed. If you try and bend the blades to achieve the opposite pitch, you wont be able to bend them uniformly and the fan will wobble and vibrate itself to self destruction. It's the same for airplanes, they have either a "tractor" prop or a "pusher" prop. A tractor prop has the engine in front of the pilot and a pusher prop has the engine behind the pilot. They are two very different types of prop or "fan".

Kody
Never be afraid to ask questions here, Prov. 11:14
Kody
The 300 Club

Postby dguff » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:17 pm

I think it would be impossible to blow a spark plug out of an engine block. :thumbdown: The plugs are mounted in the cylinder heads, not the block, and could come out if one was loose or it did strip the plug threads in the cylinder head. No way for a whole plug to get into the actual combustion chamber and blow a hole in the block.

Jerome
Jerome

2008 Guffman
dguff
Platinum Donating Member

Postby eamarquardt » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:26 pm

dguff wrote:I think it would be impossible to blow a spark plug out of an engine block. :thumbdown: The plugs are mounted in the cylinder heads, not the block, and could come out if one was loose or it did strip the plug threads in the cylinder head. No way for a whole plug to get into the actual combustion chamber and blow a hole in the block.

Jerome

Understanding Slow's communications takes considerable interpretation, understanding the topic he's discussing, and patience.

Just sayin.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby dguff » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:10 pm

Hi Gus,

I understand your point but I have fiddled with engines for about 55 years and it bothers me when someone makes a claim or statement which is so obviously wrong.
I love the quote from Klaatu in your signature line. Just my opinion. :thumbsup:

Jerome
Jerome

2008 Guffman
dguff
Platinum Donating Member

Return to Off Topic