Windows8

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Windows8

Postby rebapuck » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:06 pm

I hate it. I hate it. I hate it. I HATE IT!!

Is there anyway to buy a new, fast computer with Windows XP?
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Re: Windows8

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:43 pm

I dont think WinXP is available in new computers any longer, but I was just pricing a new Dell laptop and Win7 was still option. Its not TOTALLY different from XP.

Only option to get XP would be to find a local computer store (not Staples or other big box stores) and have them build you a new computer to suit your needs.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby MtnDon » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:19 pm

Stardock (google them) makes software that permits you to emulate Win7 .

XP will no longer have any MS updates made for it as of march 2014. (I think that's the month?) As such security holes will develop unless you buy a service plan than third party software vendors will have available for a price. IMO it is not worth doing that unless you are a big business with thousands of XP machines that still work fine for your business. But a Win 8, get used to it or buy the Stardock app. It is cheap and works fine.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Bigwoods » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:21 pm

WOW you sound just like me. The fun has just begun for you. I lost so many documents and pictures are very difficult to work with. Windows 8 took all the fun out of my computer.

I was just in Best Buy cause my computer is screwed up and of course I blame Windows 8. I asked the guy if he had a bumper sticker that said,"I Hate Windows 8" He said no and laughed. Then I said do have one that says, "Windows 8 ruined my life." He laughed again and agreed it was complicated.

I have had it 1 year and now parts of it expired and I did not renew so I spose I will lose more stuff. I have no idea was Doxillion is but I got so many reminders to send money I said good riddance.. I know I lost all my Church documents, so now I just save on paper.

In fact, I can not write on this forum since I got Windows 8. To do this I have to write it in the form of and e mail and copy and paste. Windows 8 makes the forum crash for me if I try to write.

How I long for good old XP myself. It worked.
Greg in Northern Minnesota

Bigwoods
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:07 pm

Just get start8. It'll make windows 8 look just like windows 7. Worth every penny! And Windows 7 is pretty easy for an XP user to get used to...

http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

I have it on all my computers except my windows tablet. (And I refuse to use my windows tablet! :x ) I only keep it around to remind me how bad windows 8 is...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby PaulC » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:50 pm

Apple? Mac? iPad? Don't have any operating issues since I was converted by my kids :roll:

Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:48 pm

I have Windows 7 on both of our computers, more stable than XP.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Windows8

Postby hafley » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:45 pm

One more vote here for Mac OS X. I used to be a Windows guy back when Win XP was king. Never really experienced Windows 7 or 8 in-depth except the Windows 7 Starter version that came with a notebook one of my buddies bought at the base exchange–wtf was that joke of a teaser OS? Anyways, Windows 8 is a cool concept, the tiles thing is interesting but I don't think it's practical. I'm a Mac guy now and never have been happier. It's a whole world of options for Mac only software that you never really realize you're missing out on when you're Windows only. I emulate Windows XP for an old AutoDesk app that is Windows only using Virtual Box which you can download for free at virtualbox.org

I vote go on newegg and build your own computer and install XP or switch to a Mac and enjoy your computer again
hafley
Teardrop Inspector

Postby rebapuck » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:05 am

I suppose I wouldn't hate it so much if it didn't make me feel so stupid. After a week of it, I had to go back to Staples and ask them how to turn the damn thing off. I couldn't figure it out. I'd been unplugging it every night. Just last week I wanted to print a document. Had to pull out the Dummies book. What's wrong with a "print" button? Why five steps?
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby PKCSPT » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:45 am

My mom has it and we all HATE windows 8. I think my daughter said there is a way to make it operate like good old windows. It is too complicated and not senior citizen friendly (my mom) at all. I am hoping they will go back a step and rethink this.
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby jss06 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:31 am

Get the 8.1 upgrade. It will allow you to go back to the desktop view natively. I hate the metro interface as well. 8.1 with the desktop enabled is not quite Windows 7 but it is much beter than metro.
jss06
Palladium Donating Member

Postby jonw » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:06 am

Shadow Catcher wrote:I have Windows 7 on both of our computers, more stable than XP.

Same here. Win 7 is much improved and more stable than XP.

I've tried to help people who were having problems with Win 8 - it is terrible. I have no intention of "upgrading" to it...
jonw
Titanium Donating Member

Postby legojenn » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:32 pm

Another recommendation for OSX. My house was broken into while I was away camping in August. They got my computers. I was not looking forward to replacing the main computer with one running Windows 8 and couldn't be arsed downgrading it to 7 even though I have an unused licence lying around. Running a version of Linux is not something that interests me now because iTunes doesn't play nice with it yet and I don't feel like dealing with all the shenanigans with boot loaders and drivers, so I got a Mac instead. Best purchase ever. It's cute, small and for what I do on the computer, it's perfect. Depending on what you need to do with your computer, it's something worth considering.
Jenn
legojenn
The 300 Club

Postby jdarkoregon » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:52 pm

Go to youtube and search for windows 8 tutorials, there are a few that will help.
Innovation is essential
The world can be better
ImageImage
jdarkoregon
Donating Member

Postby Martiangod » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:37 am

Did consider myself tech savy or above...now I'm a retard, thanks Windows 8.1. Oh well, at least they havn't ruined beer yet
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is

Chris

Deep in the Heart of Nowhere
The topper viewtopic.php?f=50&t=58140, gone to a new home to be converted
into an ice fishing shack...FREEBIE !!! for a nice young family
The trailer viewtopic.php?f=50&t=48156
Martiangod
500 Club

Next

Return to Off Topic