TracFone pre-paid cell phone

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Re: TracFone pre-paid cell phone

Postby rowerwet » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:33 pm

it actually isn't that bad now, I just did the whole transfer a few weeks ago, the people spoke english for a change. Just make sure you have the amount of units and your old phone serial number when you call.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby Catherine+twins » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:53 pm

Those of us in the bad-AT&T-reception West don't have as many choices as the rest of you, as so many of the pre-paid phones ride on AT&T's network. But this topic got me looking for something that rides on Verizon's network. I found one (a second one went belly up in December, as I understand it, or maybe it was bought by the survivor). Anyway, it's called Page Plus (https://www.pagepluscellular.com/plans/). It's only G3, but I don't see that as a problem. I've told the kids they can have phones when they are 13, seven months from now, and it's good to know that after I buy them basic phones ($50 each, it looks like) I'll still be able to afford the plan. In fact, it'll be less than my share-everything plan now!!! (But I'm committed for another 1.5 years for my Jetpack on Verizon, although by itself it costs less than a phone.)

Now I just need to get off my butt and see if my old phone can be moved straight across, or if I need a newer phone myself.

Catherine
Build Thread Penguino II: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=54919
Build Thread Penguino I: viewtopic.php?t=44431
"Oh, let's just stay here and sing camp songs for a while." 1966, My mom in Isle Royale, MN, in a women's bath house with a momma bear and two cubs outside the door, and three tired kids trapped inside
"Dad! Dad! There's a bear outside!" 1967, Lolo Hot Springs, MT, in a tent-top trailer
"Oh, no, there it goes!!" Nov 10, 2012 as Penguino I blew over in high winds
Catherine+twins
The 300 Club

Postby mustangcats » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:05 pm

rowerwet wrote:it actually isn't that bad now, I just did the whole transfer a few weeks ago, the people spoke english for a change. Just make sure you have the amount of units and your old phone serial number when you call.

Can the minutes be transferred without me having to press buttons on my keypad? The problem with my phone is that some of the number buttons enter 2 numbers when pressed and the back button doesn't work at all so I can't erase any mistakes. All I can do is turn the phone off and try again.
mustangcats
Silver Donating Member

Postby rowerwet » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:52 am

mustangcats wrote:
rowerwet wrote:it actually isn't that bad now, I just did the whole transfer a few weeks ago, the people spoke english for a change. Just make sure you have the amount of units and your old phone serial number when you call.

Can the minutes be transferred without me having to press buttons on my keypad? The problem with my phone is that some of the number buttons enter 2 numbers when pressed and the back button doesn't work at all so I can't erase any mistakes. All I can do is turn the phone off and try again.

yes is is entirely painless, after you give them all the info, they will tell you to turn the new phone off and back on, when the phone is done booting the units and service date will be updated. :thumbsup: got to love it when tech gets better instead of more complicated.
you may even be able to do this using only the website, I couldn't because their registration process failed for me somehow
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby mustangcats » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:31 pm

rowerwet wrote:
mustangcats wrote:

yes is is entirely painless, after you give them all the info, they will tell you to turn the new phone off and back on, when the phone is done booting the units and service date will be updated. :thumbsup: got to love it when tech gets better instead of more complicated.
you may even be able to do this using only the website, I couldn't because their registration process failed for me somehow

Great! I just ordered a new smartphone from the Tracfone website. I hope the activation and transfer of minutes goes well.
mustangcats
Silver Donating Member

Postby Esteban » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:22 pm

Catherine+twins wrote:Those of us in the bad-AT&T-reception West don't have as many choices as the rest of you, as so many of the pre-paid phones ride on AT&T's network. But this topic got me looking for something that rides on Verizon's network. I found one (a second one went belly up in December, as I understand it, or maybe it was bought by the survivor). Anyway, it's called Page Plus (https://www.pagepluscellular.com/plans/). It's only G3, but I don't see that as a problem. I've told the kids they can have phones when they are 13, seven months from now, and it's good to know that after I buy them basic phones ($50 each, it looks like) I'll still be able to afford the plan. In fact, it'll be less than my share-everything plan now!!! (But I'm committed for another 1.5 years for my Jetpack on Verizon, although by itself it costs less than a phone.)

Now I just need to get off my butt and see if my old phone can be moved straight across, or if I need a newer phone myself.

Catherine

Catherine, You might be able to use a Tracfone that does not use the ATT network by choosing a cdma phone instead of a gsm phone. (I think )Tracfone has both types of phones.
CDMA vs. GSM: What's the Difference? explains more about the two phone technologies.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Off Topic