Suggestions on a metal detector

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Suggestions on a metal detector

Postby Aaron Coffee » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:03 pm

I would like to use my safety bonus from work to buy a metal detector and am looking for suggestions. I have $70 dollars I can get in a gift card(Cabella's, Bass Pro, Dicks, Gander Mountain are some of the outdoor stores on the list). The metal detector would mostly be used in the yard and around the farm place, just to play around with. I am thinking around $150 to $170 total cost. Any suggestions on what to look for and what to watch out for?
Thanks
Aaron
If I could shut my brain off, I could save myself alot of time, money and effort.
Aaron Coffee
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Suggestions on a metal detector

Postby SmokeyBob » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:48 pm

Hey Aaron
I purchased a Bounty Hunter about 40 years ago and it is still working. It is the only one I have used so I can't comment on other brands. I've had fun with mine. Here is a link to the Bounter Hunter web site.

http://www.metaldetector.com/brands/bounty-hunter?gclid=CL-D0tKcq7sCFUho7AodwWsApQ
Pics for Building the Alegria I
To view video click Here

Bob & Judith
SmokeyBob
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby eamarquardt » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:34 pm

Thinkin about something is sometimes more fun than doing it. Google "metal detector forums" and a bazillion things pop up.

I'd spend some time poking around the forums and learn a bunch before leaping. There are also folks that are never satisfied unless they have the "latest and greatest" so maybe there are classifieds where you can pick up a far better detector than you could afford by buying new.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby TPMcGinty » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:00 am

I have a Garrett Ace 350. It is the least expensive Garrett but it still costs $300. Duke, one of our fellow Teardroppers, belongs to a Metal Detecting Club in Green Bay and recommended that I not go cheaper than that. He knows what he is doing. He financed most of his new Camp Inn Ultra using the stuff he has found with his metal detector. Maybe he will chime in on this one.
Tim

TPMcGinty
Gold Donating Member

Postby LDK » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:12 pm

I use to metal detect on and off for years and I've used several brands. The latest one (which I sold last year), was a whites dfx. It's a high end detector. If you're looking for something inexpensive I believe I would go for a garrett detector.
LDK
Gold Donating Member

Postby 48Rob » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:47 am

I use to metal detect on and off for years and I've used several brands. The latest one (which I sold last year), was a whites dfx. It's a high end detector. If you're looking for something inexpensive I believe I would go for a garrett detector.

Larry,

Is metal detecting like most other hobbies as in they cost a lot and while some may find something valuable, most do not?

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby LDK » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:41 pm

48Rob wrote:

Larry,

Is metal detecting like most other hobbies as in they cost a lot and while some may find something valuable, most do not?

Rob

Yep Rob, that about sums it up.

I think most old valuable things have already been found. Although I have found silver coins and the occasional ring, most
of the things I found were trash.
LDK
Gold Donating Member

Return to Off Topic