Bush fires still raging near home

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Bush fires still raging near home

Postby Kody » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:13 am

Once again we have endured a terrible day from the intense and abnormal heat of summer and mixed into the equation has been the horrific smoke from a bush fire not too far from here. The smoke is a mixture of bush land, car tires, plastic and other junk that has been dumped in the bush. The acrid thick smoke makes it very hard to breathe, it has made our eyes and sinus's burn and sting. The smoke is now so high and spread out so widely across the sky that our solar panels are only working at about 25% efficiency. This is not good for the Air/Con as we will have to dig into the hip pocket when the bill comes. The heat is relentless and working on the TD in the garage is a joke. I do manage to get 2 hours work done from 5:00 am but that's all until 8:00 pm. By this time I'm too exhausted just staying cool throughout the day to work at night. Kody is suffering from being inside all day and barks at the slightest thing that moves outside. We have games in the morning and evening but she wants so much more. She will go outside for a few minutes but comes running back to the door very quickly. The dry ground is now so hot that it burns her feet so she tries to stay in the shade of what's left of the gum trees. I am making her a set of booties, four of, so she can walk on the footpath and especially use them in the car to protect the interior. The official announcement has been that 2013 has been the hottest year on record. The cattle are now being shot as there is no water and no feed available on many of the farms out west. The "lucky" ones are being trucked off to the meatworks.

The worst thing is that the police are now looking for an arsonist who lit the fires near us. I hope he suffers when he/she is caught! The fires decimate our native animals and they suffer the worst of all. Arsonists are the most disgusting of all lowlife vermin. If the people who have suffered because of him were to catch him, he would curse the day he was born.

Kody :x
Never be afraid to ask questions here, Prov. 11:14
Kody
The 300 Club

Re: Bush fires still raging near home

Postby Mary C » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:16 am

When I hear of your troubles I am thinking in terms of global warming but it is hard to think of it when we are going to hit with the lowest temperatures in 30 years. I am just hoping that I make it through the cold snap . Take care of those feet /paws. put a piece of foam in them it will block the heat somewhat. let us know how it goes..........

Mary C. :lady:
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:28 pm

I am concerned that fires will be bad, here, in California next summer as 2013 finished out as the driest year in recorded history (119 years). We could still get some rain; but the officials say that it would not be possible to get enough during the remaining winter season to make up for all that we have missed.

Take good care of your beautiful dog and yourselves too!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby PKCSPT » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:38 am

I am with Mary, it is hard to imagine global warming today,,, Brrrrrr Though it really is more climate change I think

Anyway good luck catching the arsonist, this is why in general I don't much like people..
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:14 am

We have snow drifts in the driveway like we have never seen in 34 years so yes it is hard to believe that a few degrees C can make this much difference. My understanding is that the immediate effect is unpredictability and we certainly have that. I have invested in air filters/purifiers for the teardrop and have a number of gas masks I use when working on various projects i.e. de rusting the 72 Sonett frame. Sucking rubber is no fun but if it means being able to breath, no contest.
Sharon, I was just reading an article on the very low snow pack in the Sierras and thinking this may have a real impact on food prices and availability later this year.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:23 pm

Shadow Catcher wrote:Sharon, I was just reading an article on the very low snow pack in the Sierras and thinking this may have a real impact on food prices and availability later this year.

I can't say for certain, yet, Tom. There is talk of limiting some of the water that is sent down to Southern California so that the farmers will have enough to irrigate with. Presently, Northern California fills around 96% of Los Angeles' water needs, or I should say "wants". There is growing contention over that. Northern California provides a large amount of the food that the nation eats. We also ship food to other countries.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:32 pm

Sharon, and the mid west, we on the other hand for the most part, produce corn, soybeans, and winter wheat. We live in Fulton County and the school which is in the middle of farm fields has a drive your tractor to school day. Of course the big concern is that you will be seeing brush and forest fires to rival what Kody is seeing.
We are seeing 14" of snow an -18 tonight and with wind in excess of -40 wind chill.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:21 pm

The whole world should be concerned. This may be the future that we have dreaded coming.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Return to Off Topic