auto mechanic help for slowcowboy!

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Re: auto mechanic help for slowcowboy!

Postby MtnDon » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:49 am

Could be the thermostat is going wide open and staying there. Was it ever changed from the factory one? Did the vehicle overheat at all recently?

I ask that as there are aftermarket thermostats that have a "fail safe" where they lock wide open if the engine gets too hot. Then they need to be replaced.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Redneck Teepee » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:25 am

Process of elimination Slow, I'm sure living where you do it's got anti-freeze in it, start with a cold engine and radiator and pull the radiator cap, look and see if you are getting immediate circulation thru the radiator, if so the stat is stuck open. Do you have a shutoff valve in the heater hose return line? if so those are a needle valve type usually and can plug, or could be a vacuum controlled switch valve in A/C equipped cars, shut it and reopen it if needle type, that may do the trick. Pull the heater hose between the valve and radiator return port, crimp the hose shut on the engine side, shut the valve or turn heater control off, start the motor and slowly open the valve or turn heater on to see if you have flow coming out of the heater core, heater cores do also plug. If your engine is not overheating this is where I would start....Just my 2 cents worth. :)
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction, the world will have a generation of idiot's.
Redneck Teepee
Silver Donating Member

Postby Juneaudave » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:51 am

I'm not an auto mechanic, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn last night! Sounds like you might just be low on antifreeze to me. I would check the level, and if that's not it, change the thermostat.
Good luck... :thumbsup:
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby 48Rob » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:01 pm

I'm with Dave.

Low on coolant.

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby working on it » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:12 pm

MtnDon wrote:Could be the thermostat is going wide open and staying there. Was it ever changed from the factory one? Did the vehicle overheat at all recently?

I ask that as there are aftermarket thermostats that have a "fail safe" where they lock wide open if the engine gets too hot. Then they need to be replaced.
Though my experience with Fords is limited, and I have never seen a working temp gauge show stone cold (even with thermostat completely removed- I drove my Chevelle to work like that once, heater still worked, before I turned it into a race-only car), I have a couple of thoughts here. If you are driving the '95 FORD EXPLORER, as shown in your signature, it is known to have two heater faults that are common. The heater control valve on the hoses to the heater core or its' actuator,
valve.jpg
valve.jpg (7.84 KiB) Viewed 1437 times
or the "blend door"
dorman door.jpg
dorman door.jpg (11.89 KiB) Viewed 1437 times
or its' actuator.
blenddooractuator.jpg
blenddooractuator.jpg (17.79 KiB) Viewed 1437 times
Or the blend door could be sticking closed because it is cracked ('95 doors were ABS plastic, known for cracking). Here's a link to a forum with a fix http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=294140 or there are several on YOU-TUBE. I have had the opposite problem with my '04 Chevy 2500HD pickup....blows hot in summer! The blend door actuator has opened the heat door 3 or 4 times, but not a big problem...I just pull over, turn the ignition off for 15 seconds, and restart. The blend door resets to normal. Hasn't happened for the last 5 years, so I never replaced the part. See, even Chevies have (some) problems too.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby doug hodder » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:53 pm

having gone through this in Dec....It was the thermostat on my Ford Ranger 4.0L V6. If you're full on fluid and can't get any heat showing on the gauge it's stuck open, better than stuck shut...chances are that's it, easy change out and under 9$ in parts. If it shows plenty of heat on the gauge and no heat in the heater, plugged core. Just what I experienced. It would heat up at an idle, not like it normally did, but as soon as I started to drive, the cold air would hit the radiator and temp dropped to nothing on the gauge. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby rowerwet » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:17 pm

quick test, block most of the radiator with a cardboard box, if you have heat while driving, it is the thermostat. Had the same issue with my second ranger after the wax pellet melted.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby Redneck Teepee » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:25 pm

slowcowboy wrote:thankyou very much guys! I apperciate it. yes cold air hiting the radator. called wyoming wind and wind chill and way below zero in temps!

thanks a lot guys and I am going to get a look at that coolent leval and proply swap thermostats this weekend!

slow

Just wondering if you ever resolved your problem Slow? Hope all is fixed. :)
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction, the world will have a generation of idiot's.
Redneck Teepee
Silver Donating Member

Postby craig113 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:44 pm

Sounds like low coolant. If it looks full start it while cold with the rad cap off, might be a big air bubble in the lines or block. I have also found one ford where the fins in the water pump were missing and it had poor circulation and no heat. If changing the water pump always change the thermostat at the same time.
craig113
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Lesbest » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:30 pm

I might be late to the party, but here goes. The clue is the guage starts to move-you start to get heat, the guage goes cold, and you get no heat. Low on coolant-if the tip of the temp sender is not wet ( in coolant) it won't read accurately. If the sender is not wet you will not have coolant in the heater core either. Fill the system with it running so you can burp any air pockets out of it, watch the thermostat open and top off the radiator. Feel the upper hose as the thermostat opens, the hose should be uncomfortable to hold when fully open. When your satisfied the system is full, put the cap on tight, and start looking to see where the coolant leaked to.

It won't evaporate so it has to be a leak, or it's going out the tailpipe (head gasket). Pull the dipstick for the transmission, if it looks like a strawberry milkshake the trans cooler is leaking, and if that happens you usually have trans fluid in the radiator too. The coolant hoses will be soft and slimy.

Hopefully it's a loose hose clamp and your back in business.

Hope this helps, Les
Music is like chocolate.......you can't really enjoy it unless the rappers are gone.
Lesbest
The 300 Club

Return to Off Topic