The worst drought ever recorded

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

The worst drought ever recorded

Postby Kody » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:44 am

Things have never looked so grim and so desperate as they are here in Australia at the moment. The East coast and far north are enjoying beautiful rain in the wet season but the wet has not gone inland as hoped. We now have the worst drought ever recorded. The land affected covers over 45% of the interior and it starts just 200 miles in from the coast. The farmers are now shooting their breeding stock and suffering horrific depression, many of these great men are committing suicide. They have borrowed over $500K to feed there stock in hope of rain to begin growing pasture but none has come. To give you some perspective of the area involved, Australia is the same size as the US. There is no water, no feed, no rivers, no lakes. It costs from $1000 to $2000 per day for each farmer to have feed trucked in for what animals are still able to stand. The Government has just begun to give handouts but it is too little too late. To see these heroic people continuing to struggle to keep going reduces us to tears. Without the farmers, there is no food, Period! None of us (Australians) want to see meat and wheat imported from China or South America. No-one knows or can offer any info as to when the drought will break. By the time is does, many men and women will be lost. To transport the animals to the sale yards costs more than what they are worth. It's a vicious cycle of no returns. This is enough said, it's too saddening to continue. If you are a man or woman of prayer, please pray for Australia.

Kody :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Never be afraid to ask questions here, Prov. 11:14
Kody
The 300 Club

Re: The worst drought ever recorded

Postby 48Rob » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:32 am

I feel for you, and the countless people that will suffer.

That said, you post of disaster after disaster...Perhaps consideration should be given to moving to a different place, or country before it gets to the point of no return, and you become another number on a casualty list?

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:06 am

And we are now having record cold and snow and have a furnace that has let us know it is coming to an end, 13 years past its 20year life expectancy.
115507 Snow is now to the point where you can not see the top of the propane tank or tongue box. I am concerned that this could repeat next year as it is driven by warm current in the arctic with lots of open water. All while California is in similar drought conditions as to Kody's location.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby The Teardrop Nanny » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:49 pm

:angel: Praying for those in the Land Down Under :worship:
Joanie
The Teardrop Nanny
Life's uncertain...eat dessert first. Check out our cooking channel for cast iron:
www.youtube.com/outdoorcastironcook Dean & Joanie, your hosts
The Teardrop Nanny
Teardrop Muse

Postby PKCSPT » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:38 pm

Sounds terrible, Texas went through a similar thing a few years back. I hope it breaks sooner than later.
:worship:
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:19 pm

We're still in a drought here. I guess I'd rather have that than the white stuff though.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby working on it » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:31 pm

Texas had a really severe drought (at least here in North Texas) in the mid to late 50's, that I still remember well. Hot and dry and dusty summers, with an occasional dust storm rolling in (my Grandparents said it was reminiscent of the 30's, when they left behind their roots and relatives in the Panhandle). Nothing so life-changing as the Dust Bowl scenes though; but the fear of it repeating was plainly reflected in their eyes. It must've scared the regional government, too, because measures were taken to build many more reservoirs and "lakes" (man-made; the only natural lake in North Texas is Caddo Lake, pretty small, and to the east) to store water. If those reservoirs hadn't been constructed thereafter, and sporadically added to since then, then our present drought would have been catastrophic, given the incredible population growth of the area since then.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby rowerwet » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:43 am

it is amazing the difference a few degrees change in the temp of the ocean surface can have on weather. Hopefully they can learn much more about the huge effect ocean currents have and plan for it better. (not too likely we could change what happens)
praying for all involved
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby Catherine+twins » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:49 pm

:(
I just want some significant rain.
I know you do, too.
Catherine
Build Thread Penguino II: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=54919
Build Thread Penguino I: viewtopic.php?t=44431
"Oh, let's just stay here and sing camp songs for a while." 1966, My mom in Isle Royale, MN, in a women's bath house with a momma bear and two cubs outside the door, and three tired kids trapped inside
"Dad! Dad! There's a bear outside!" 1967, Lolo Hot Springs, MT, in a tent-top trailer
"Oh, no, there it goes!!" Nov 10, 2012 as Penguino I blew over in high winds
Catherine+twins
The 300 Club

Return to Off Topic