Extreme Off Roading

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Extreme Off Roading

Postby lrrowe » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:53 pm

Boy what a test this clip demonstrates. I am amazed with the power of the Toyota and the fact that they are submerging the TT and TV doors below the water. That has got to cause some problems with water damage somewhere, sometime. I would never see myself doing this.

But watching this clip gave me another idea for my CT build. It seems every time I sign on and read members ideas and comments, it makes me think of something for mine.
Do not ask me why I thought of my latest idea with this clip, I just did. I am thinking of designing a rear hitch swing arm to mount a spare tire to. I will be using barn doors and I do not want the weight of the spare on the barn doors themselves. I have already designed a swing away for my F150 which will hold a cooler and tackle box on the back of the truck for when I drive the beaches of the Cape Hatters, NC area. So for the CT, it should be a no brainer to convert to a trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk6KJXeOM0k

Bob
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Re: Extreme Off Roading

Postby citylights » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:36 pm

Great video!

The truck has a snorkel to get the air intake above the water. All the carpet has probably been removed from the floorboards so they don't get mold. Long term... Water will soak into the differentials and transmission through their breather vents causing damage. That can be mitigated with a complete tear down, re-grease and re seal every couple of years. That is a maintenance item for people in those environments constantly. Mostly that is just tourism expedition vehicles... As long as the water doesn't get into the upper half of the engine and all the wiring and electronics there!

As for the trailer? I hope it is waterproofed like a boat!
citylights
500 Club

Postby Captain Monkeyshines » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:05 pm

The secret is to extend all the breathers (diffs, trans, transfer case) up into the engine bay or passenger compartment. Then regularly check/change your fluids...
“When You're Alone”
When you're in the kitchen, you've got to behave
You don't put metal in the microwave
The knobs on the stove are “hands off” no doubt
And when you make toast, don't use a knife to fish it out!
When you're alone, when you're alone
You got to stay safe when you're home all alone.
When you're alone, when you're home all alone
You got to make sure not to die, or choke or burn the house down.
Captain Monkeyshines
Teardrop Advisor

Postby CAPT KIDD » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:38 pm

Pretty cool off roading. The secret to it is full lockers front and rear and really low gears. As for the depth of fording that is really not all that deep I have forded a lot deeper in my FJ40 Land Cruiser. Still in all that is quite a job towing that size trailer.
CAPT KIDD
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Kody » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:27 pm

To do this kind of trip you need an absolute minimum 3 vehicles, 4 would be much better. This tripping can never be done on your own, you will die out there with no-one there to help you. I still don't see the fun of doing this when you get stuck in the mud and have to attach a winch or try to slip lug boards under the wheels. If you break something you can be in big time trouble even with other vehicles there to help you. There is outback camping and driving and there is this extreme stuff. It's not for novice drivers and definitely not for people who don't know or understand the propensity and danger of our land. As for crossing the Jardine River and getting out to fit a winch rope, the guy has rocks for brains. If you MUST get out in this river, you need a fella standing on top of the rig (and well supported) with a high power rifle. There are as many crocs there are there are mozzies. This river is one of the most dangerous rivers in Australia. Because 99% of our tripping will be by ourselves, such extreme touring is definitely not on. The wear and tear of such driving is very costly in maintenance and parts. Up in the North where this film was made, forget about finding parts unless you take them with you.

Kody
Never be afraid to ask questions here, Prov. 11:14
Kody
The 300 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:05 am

The trailer is water proof up the sides so is designed for fording rivers. Note that all the heater vent etc, are high up on the sides.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby lrrowe » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:16 am

That must be some serious waterproofing on the trailer. Even some hatches were underwater.

I am a victim of water getting to the wood base plate boards so my eyes tend to go straight towards that area of photos like this. My trailer was caught in a flash flood many years ago and about 3 years later the body ripped right off the trailer frame during an accident. I explain the failure to the base wood getting wet, then rotting over time and then giving up when the G forces of the accident hit while swinging the trailer to the side. And I never knew anything was wrong for those three years.

Bob
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Return to Off Topic