Worst cyclone ever is almost here

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Worst cyclone ever is almost here

Postby Kody » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:31 pm

The northern area (1/3) of Queensland is about to be hit with the worst cyclone, rated as 5, to hit the shore for over 65 years or more. The intensity is expected to increase as the cyclone comes in. The winds in the core are now 300 kph (187 mph) and rising. There is no more time left to be able to evacuate the area. The electric power will be destroyed soon and will remain out for at least 4 weeks. We are hoping that the rain wont come down as far as our area. The rain that fell 2 weeks ago here combined with the rain last January has cut a trench in our property that is now 5 feet deep and over 5 feet wide. It is 150 feet in length. There is nothing I can do to fill in this hole. Any more heavy rain will be a disaster for our property. At least I am now able to start work on the TD once more as my back has improved enough to allow me to work on it again. More happy news later.

Kody :worship:
Never be afraid to ask questions here, Prov. 11:14
Kody
The 300 Club

Re: Worst cyclone ever is almost here

Postby Fenlason » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:32 pm

:worship:
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey

Postby Shadow Catcher » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:45 pm

Keep us posted as you are able, and I will remember you in prayer.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby deleted » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:56 am

I hope you and your property are spared :worship:
deleted
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Mary C » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:56 pm

Kody I see they have downgraded the cyclone to a 2 , I understand how that is significant but I know when the winds are 130+ that is still bad and it doesn't change the amount of rain that falls. I understand about the holes and river ditches made by the rain. Please keep us posted on how you manage. Where, what city or sorta pin point where you live so I will have a reference for your area and can put it on my weather map of weather updates. Thanks and good luck hope :worship: your power stays on!!!

Mary C. :lady:
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby PaulC » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:21 pm

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/quee ... 6880411248

And , Kody, I fail to see how a storm in Far North Queensland could ever affect someone living in the diagonally opposite corner of our country. Nothing like hyping a situation up

Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby Kody » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:44 am

Sunday 13/04/14
The cyclone has destroyed a huge area in the far north of Queensland. The only great news is that no one has been killed or badly injured. The storm is now a Cat. 1 and is now moving South East along the coast. A warning has been issued that indicates the winds and rain will be here in Yeppoon (where we live) sometime tomorrow. The winds are still blowing at 105 to 110 kph. Yeppoon is on the edge Coral Sea, 30 klm's from Rockhampton. You can find R'ton on any map as R'ton is just 4 miles north of the Tropic of Capricorn.

The rain is expected to dump 12 inches or more on Yeppoon and R'ton. as it continues to move along the coastline. The highway that runs from the far north to the southern States has been cut in many places and the road/s will be impassable for as much as 3 weeks. The last thing we need here at home, is another 12 inches of rain. The last rain two weeks ago destroyed even more of our driveway and the humidity made the walls of the TD buckle and bulge. I have been waiting for the sun to appear and dry the air out and shrink the walls back to the original shape but it looks like it will fail. No matter, I will push on and sand the walls back so they are flat. I can then fiberglass the entire walls and continue on regardless.

I have not seen any info about the cyclone having any influence on the South Western areas of Aust. I have read the entire report from the newspaper but have not found any references. The cyclones in the East have no affect on the far West unless they are so big, they are able to cross over the center. This virtually never happens. We are just so thankful that the storm has become a Cat. 1 and the high winds have calmed down to the degree they are now.
Unfortunately, there will be the usual idiots that insist on coming out and racing up and down the flooded streets and also some who defy the laws and signage and try to drive through the flooded roads.

I don't expect as things are at the moment, that we will lose the electric power. All systems are go without any probs. Our driveway had become so bad that the only way out was in the 4x4. My wife's car was unable to manage the washouts and rocks. I have started to collect rocks and road metal and have begun to fill in the worst of it. We still love our property and will wont consider selling it. The peace and quiet here can't be replaced.
Thank you to everyone for your thoughts and prayers. They are always deeply appreciated.

Kody :applause: :applause:
Never be afraid to ask questions here, Prov. 11:14
Kody
The 300 Club

Postby PaulC » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:50 pm

My apologies for assuming you lived in WA Kody. Yeah, the "cyclone" was bad but not unusual for the tropics.

Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Return to Off Topic