Don’t buy peaches at Wal mart !!!

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Re: Don’t buy peaches at Wal mart !!!

Postby Fenlason » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:43 pm

Mojave Bob wrote:Rob -- an excellent point, and the answer is, "yes, it does". That is the short answer. WalMart was requiring the matching part/model numbers in the supply contract, for the specific purpose of running the ma & pa stores out of business. They would post pictures of our item and price next to theirs, and flat-out claim that they were selling the same item for less. I had more than one very pointed conversation with my suppliers, and dropped a couple of them from my line-up. That is the part that makes WalMart dishonest.

By the way, no, this isn't just a grudge because WalMart ran my store out of business. They didn't. My store thrived, because I chose do do battle with them on something other than price. I started purchasing select items at WalMart, and putting them on display next to my display item, and highlighting the differences. I made sure my sales staff could clearly articulate those differences, and I made sure they were knowledgeable about our products. I made customer service much more than just easy returns. We did just fine.

But, yes, the manufacturers are also complicit, with the caveat that they are under duress. If I am Black & Decker, and WalMart wants 100,000 drills under their terms, the right thing to do is to say no, since the terms stink. However, I also know that if I don't do it, they will go to Skil, and I can't afford to have my competitor in WalMart and not be there myself -- it becomes a market share problem. If I lose market share, my credit rating goes down, and my costs of doing business go up. So, it isn't an easy problem to answer. Most companies end up selling their souls over it.

There was a day when I could stock several drills at various price-points, and simply sell them according to what they offered -- you only want a couple of holes at low cost? I have that. You want a tool that will hold up well for the weekend warrior? I have that. You want a professional-grade tool? I have that. The customer could come in, seek advice from a knowledgeable salesperson, and leave with a tool that met their needs at the price that also met their needs. The WalMart Syndrome has caused an across-the-board drop in quality -both product and service quality - in all but the most high-end products.

:thumbsup: I would easily be a customer of your's :D

As I have said above.. I chose a place of business and stay loyal to them. A place that sells quality.. and a place that has knowledge and service. I find I easily win in the long run.
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey

Postby Woodbutcher » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:07 pm

Sears did it to them selves they cheapened their own tools.. and didn't have several versions of the same tool. That is a very different situation. What happened to you with the unfinished furniture is unfortunate… but I don't see it the same as what Walmart does.[/quote]

My point with Sears was they bought the majority of a manufacturers production. Then they would stop ordering once they had the bulk of their business. This in effect crippled the manufacturer. They would then either buy the manufacturer or demand concessions. Neither was a good solution for the manufacturer. My furniture example was similar, in that both manufacturers grabbed for the big order without looking at the down side.
Manufacturers that sell a cheaper version of their own products with the same model numbers are damaging their own brands. To me they are at greater fault then the company that coerces them to do so. It's like if I asked you to steal something with me. Is the greater fault, mine for asking you to steal, or yours for going through with it?
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby 48Rob » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:32 am

Bob,

Thank you for your honest reply, I understand clearly now. :shake hands:

I too seek out stores that offer me choices, but more importantly know how to balance the need for their profit, with the desire to treat me well enough that I will come back.
I don't mind paying a little more so a shopkeeper can have a good life, it is when I feel that price gouging is going on, and they haven't a care about return business that I seek other sources.
Your store would have been on my good list.

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby GPW » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:53 am

QUOTE: “ you got to shop now days as money doest go very far. “ ... True dat’ !!! Being retired is no fun !!! The pittance SS gives you , which is taxed as income :NC , and then they deduct for Medicare , and by the time you pay your other Part “X”, there’s hardly enough left for a tin of fish for the cat ... Wise shopping is Very important !!! ;)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Previous

Return to Off Topic