How do you maintain your BBQ grill?

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

How do you maintain your BBQ grill?

Postby len19070 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:53 pm

First off I don't consider my self a "Trash Picker" or a "Dumpster Diver"

I prefer the term "Aggressive Re-Cycler"

I've recently restored this BBQ grill that I resurrected from the curb.

It was a 2 year old Stainless Steel Kenmore 4 burner w/side burner, electronic ignition and a timer.....with a full bottle of Propane!

It was thrown away because it was dirty :(

How I maintain my Grill.

After using the grill I leave it on for a while to totally burn any residual grease/food. Then I wire brush it every time.

In summer, every 2-3 weeks, depending on use I remove the burners, scrape the Flame shields, run the Grates through the Dish washer and blow out the lower area.

What do you do to maintain your BBQ Grill?

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Re: How do you maintain your BBQ grill?

Postby wagondude » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:56 pm

I do pretty much the same as you except my grill has cast iron grates, so I leave the coating on until the next heat up. Then brush the grates before I start cooking. Nice save on that grill. I rebuilt my old Kenmore at least 4 times over the 10 years I owned it. I'll get at least that long out of the replacement.
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby rowerwet » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:05 am

I have a webber Q, the cast iron grate is the secret to perfect cooking every time. at the end of the season I replace the grease tray and clean the inside of the bottom. Otherwise unless the burner bar is getting plugged (easy to tell by watching the flame pattern) it needs no maintenance. Before I got the webber I went through cheap grills almost every year, the webber is going on 5 years now with no issues. It has also gone canoe camping and teardrop camping.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby jstrubberg » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:16 am

Twice a year, I pull the grills and deflectors. Put them in a black plastic trash bag, add a cup of ammonia and set out in the yard to catch the sun all day.

Pull them out when I get home and rinse off. They sparkle like I had scrubbed them.

I haven't cleaned the body in a couple years. Will have to add that to my spring to do list.
Last edited by jstrubberg on Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
The more stuff I take along, the more time I spend taking care of my stuff!
jstrubberg
500 Club

Postby Bantam » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:33 am

I have three webers, all brought second hand! I do catering with my Weber Q, cooking 40 to 50 steaks a night. I always use a wire brush dipped in water to clean before, during, and after cooking. Use a food industry decrease and hot water to clean body.
Bantam
Teardrop Advisor

Postby rebapuck » Sun May 04, 2014 11:32 pm

rowerwet, how do you clean the bottom?
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby rowerwet » Tue May 06, 2014 8:51 am

brush all the gunk off the grate, remove the grate, remove the burner loop, clean it with the brush as needed, clean the plugged holes with a pin as needed, using a brush that doesn't ruin the aluminum finish, brush all the gunk and grease out of the bottom, remove the ignitor and clean it as well, once all of the gunk is swept into the grease pan, take it out and throw it away, put a new drip pan in, reassemble and fire the grill up. there are instructions in the book that came with the grill also.
clean the inside of the top lid also, it is designed to reflect the heat down into the food, making cooking with a Qgrill easy as you put things in set the timer and walk away. when the timer goes off your food is done and tasty.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Return to Off Topic