band saw break down

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

band saw break down

Postby 123jay » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:44 pm

band saw break down. There so many that have wood shops here may be some one know a good fix
Here what happened .Got some pressure treated plywood it had a bad spot in it so got a deal had them cut it for me to be the floor. I though the sides wall of the trailer where 1/4 " thick by bad should have got the tape out. The trailer is 40 & 1/2" wide had them cut at 39 & 1/2"" .well a tight fit then it rains. Well ply wood swells. try to cut it down on the band saw . The webbing on the UPPER WHEEL SHAFT HINGE ASSY broke in to pieces call Grizzly. was told that I should buy 2 of them that is there week point. Has any found a low cost way to make stronger.
401/2"X 48" open tailgate bolt together army kit around $450.00
If the world did not suck ,you fall off!
123jay
Teardrop Master

Re: band saw break down

Postby eamarquardt » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:41 pm

Here is (I think) the part no. and price: http://www.grizzly.com/parts/P0555035

Depending upon the quality of the metal in the casting you might be able to add some additional material to the casting by using a TIG welder to reinforce the part before it gets broken.

Or....... you might try using fiberglass to reinforce it and bolt the fiberglass to the original casting.

Maybe a part from a Delta saw might fit.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby 123jay » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:59 pm

eamarquardt thank you I have order 2 of them (I did not know that you could weld pot metal.I will look in to it It was the shipping that got to me and it took out the blade. again thanks
123jay
Teardrop Master

Postby eamarquardt » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:28 am

Hi,

I don't think it's "pot metal" (zinc alloy). More likely it's aluminum. Depending upon the quality of the al you may or may not be able to weld it.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:43 am

It looks to me that you could fill up the top of the replacement part with JB weld epoxy and seriously reinforce it.
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby jstrubberg » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:49 am

JB Weld would be my first try at a repair. Coat the broken surfaces and clamp lightly. Once it sets, mix a second batch and coat both sides of that piece and let it set up.
The more stuff I take along, the more time I spend taking care of my stuff!
jstrubberg
500 Club

Postby Kevin A » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:59 am

I would try to get it welded before contaminating the material with epoxy or JB weld.
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby 123jay » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:41 am

Thank you for everyone for the fast reply I order 2 new ones. So when the new ones get here will reinforce them .
Going on .If I have 2 bad luck will pass me by . Again thank you
123jay
Teardrop Master

Postby ctstaas » Sat May 17, 2014 12:34 am

I would make a replacement part out of mild steel. First, take it apart so you can measure, ect, for your new part. 1/2" plate should work. If you cant drill a hole that big have a machine shop do it. $20 cash off the clock and books sounds about right. Then make the rest of the part yourself. Sometimes you cant get replacement parts and have to improvise and make you own out of different materials. Necessity is a mother of an invention.
ctstaas
Teardrop Master

Postby 123jay » Fri May 23, 2014 5:35 pm

I got two new parts. JB Weld a 1/16 plate on one. Will take the other one and see if i can get one made of steel
123jay
Teardrop Master

Return to Off Topic