What wood is this

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

What wood is this

Postby Forrest747 » Wed May 07, 2014 11:58 am

I know i am asking the impossible here and I really dont have much to go on other than this photo but does anyone have an idea of what wood species of the frame is? I have been asked to do another larger one and its going into a house about 4 hours away and they didnt know what it was make out of

"All the success on the trail can not compensate for having square headlights"

"I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell!"
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=37701 Build Journal
Forrest747
Cowbell Donating Member

Re: What wood is this

Postby Mojave Bob » Wed May 07, 2014 1:43 pm

Can't see the grain very well in the photo, but it looks like it may be maple.
Mojave Bob
Teardrop Master

Postby Fenlason » Wed May 07, 2014 1:43 pm

My first guess would be pine.
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey

Postby wagondude » Wed May 07, 2014 6:31 pm

I'll go out on a limb( :R ) and guess most likely pine, but maybe poplar.
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Wed May 07, 2014 8:01 pm

Looking as closely as I can, and, having worked with the three above named woods, my first guess is poplar because there seems to be little heavily-defined grain and only a couple small knot-like areas. With poplar, you can get pre-cut wood at either the orange or the blue box stores and can pick your pieces so that you have little to no knots. You can use the scraps left from cutting the wood to experiment with stains and finishes to be certain that you can match the coloring of the original item before to work on the new one. Of course, it's really hard to be certain because not only am I a layman but also the picture is small. It could be some sort of foreign wood, as well. If you can find a "made in" label or stamp on the back, that may be telling. Others may chime in as the guessing game is fun.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Tom Kurth » Wed May 07, 2014 8:19 pm

Are there cups bored on the backside for hinges? If so, show the bare wood in the cup or if stained in the cup try to remove some of the stain to find the natural color of the wood. If you have bare wood scratch it and smell to determine if it is some kind of conifer. To me the color and the knot look like a stained alder but the grain is unuasually straight. Pine is a possibility because of the appearance of the knot, but this wood has taken the stain much more evenly than typical of pine unless it has been sealed prior to staining. Birch and maple also take stain in blotches (unless pre-treated) and likewise the grain seems straighter than either of those. Gel stain may have accounted for that, but I have no experience with gel stains. Also, the knot is atypical of either birch or maple.

Just on the basis of appearance, I can tell you with some certainty that it is not oak, hickory, beech or walnut and probably not cherry.

Good luck,
Tom
Tom Kurth
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Tom Kurth » Wed May 07, 2014 8:21 pm

Oops, forgot about poplar--grain is awfully straight for poplar but I can envision poplar taking a stain like that.

Tom
Tom Kurth
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Fenlason » Wed May 07, 2014 8:26 pm

It is my "understanding" that trying to stain poplar will result in a blotchy finish also. I did just read that the poplar wood that is sold at the box stores is actually tulip wood, which I know nothing about.
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Wed May 07, 2014 8:48 pm

hmm what we call poplar here.. is quaking aspen.

Populus tremuloides vs Liriodendron tulipifera
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby dustboy » Wed May 07, 2014 8:58 pm

My first guess is Maple, but you could use Maple, Poplar or Birch as long as you match the stain color. Without the door in front of you, you will never get a perfect match.

Maple doesn't take stain well, but it's the hardest and machines the best of the bunch. Birch stains okay with a stain controller applied before the stain. Poplar is most typically used for paint-grade work.
dustboy
Teardrop Master

Postby Tom Kurth » Thu May 08, 2014 7:12 pm

Glenn, the wood commonly used as a secondary wood in the cabinet industry (at least out here in the Midwest) is indeed from the 'tulip' tree, also known as 'tulip poplar.' I think the quaking aspen is often referred to as poplar or 'popple' in a band across the northern US and extending south in the mountain states. Further south 'poplar' is usually the tulip tree, I believe. Lots of local names and frequent variations in the lumber industry. I think its even worse amongst the tropical hardwoods. And yes, (tulip) poplar does tend to blotch when stained. While there are great variations of color in poplar (red, pink, brown, black, white, cream, green and probably others I haven't seen), most of it is a very light green to cream color that when stained with some brown stains ends up a color very close to the sample before us.

Best,
Tom
Tom Kurth
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Fenlason » Thu May 08, 2014 7:55 pm

Tom Kurth wrote:Glenn, the wood commonly used as a secondary wood in the cabinet industry (at least out here in the Midwest) is indeed from the 'tulip' tree, also known as 'tulip poplar.' I think the quaking aspen is often referred to as poplar or 'popple' in a band across the northern US and extending south in the mountain states. Further south 'poplar' is usually the tulip tree, I believe. Lots of local names and frequent variations in the lumber industry. I think its even worse amongst the tropical hardwoods. And yes, (tulip) poplar does tend to blotch when stained. While there are great variations of color in poplar (red, pink, brown, black, white, cream, green and probably others I haven't seen), most of it is a very light green to cream color that when stained with some brown stains ends up a color very close to the sample before us.

Best,
Tom

:thumbsup:
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby halfdome, Danny » Thu May 08, 2014 8:00 pm

My guess would be Alder for the frame and Birch for the panel.
We made a ton of cabinets in the 70's with that combination.
Alder is too expensive in a veneer panel.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Catherine+twins » Fri May 09, 2014 9:33 am

Maple was my Grandpa's favorite wood until he used alder to build my loom for me. (The treadles are maple, though, for longevity.) After that, he used alder in most of his projects. (OMG, that's 25 years ago!)

OTOH, I'm looking at the loom right now, and it shows a lot more grain than that frame. Just saying. :lol:

BTW, here in the mountain states, Aspen is often labeled as Aspen in the lumber yards. HD has wood bins for both aspen and poplar in nearby towns.

Catherine
Build Thread Penguino II: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=54919
Build Thread Penguino I: viewtopic.php?t=44431
"Oh, let's just stay here and sing camp songs for a while." 1966, My mom in Isle Royale, MN, in a women's bath house with a momma bear and two cubs outside the door, and three tired kids trapped inside
"Dad! Dad! There's a bear outside!" 1967, Lolo Hot Springs, MT, in a tent-top trailer
"Oh, no, there it goes!!" Nov 10, 2012 as Penguino I blew over in high winds
Catherine+twins
The 300 Club

Postby Forrest747 » Mon May 12, 2014 1:31 pm

well i went with pine to make its larger cousin and it turned out great. just a giant magnetic board with a 1x3 frame. Rabbet a slot for the 5mm plywood and steel and then put everything together. It was for a mothers day gift and i am told they are very happy with it and in fact i will have a few more orders im sure. 3 feet by 6 feet.
"All the success on the trail can not compensate for having square headlights"

"I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell!"
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=37701 Build Journal
Forrest747
Cowbell Donating Member

Next

Return to Off Topic