Foodie tour of the coastal Southeast

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Foodie tour of the coastal Southeast

Postby eggsalad » Mon May 12, 2014 1:31 am

Flying in to SE Florida to see pops for a few days. Then follow I-95 up the coast. Stopping at Savannah, Hilton Head, etc, all the way up to the Outer Banks. Then heading inland, eventually winding up in ATL, where I'll drop the car and fly home.

Looking for foodie recommendations along that route.
eggsalad
Teardrop Master

Re: Foodie tour of the coastal Southeast

Postby mary and bob » Mon May 12, 2014 7:26 pm

Willies Weenie Wagon in Brunswick GA, Southern Soul in St Simons GA, Cafe Soltera on Jekyll Island GA, Paula Deens in Savannah, or supposedly even better in Savannah is Mrs Wilkes but it's lunch only. Paula's brother closed his restaurant, Uncle Bubbas. Never been to Hilton Head so no info there. Outer Banks; Pigmans Barbecue, and don't miss Duck Donuts.
mary and bob
500 Club

Postby robfisher » Tue May 13, 2014 10:57 pm

I would say do not miss Mrs Wilkes in Savannah. Really. Don't miss it.Lunch only as mary and bob mentioned.

If you happen to need something to eat say 3:00AM or any other time for that matter because it's open 24-7 Tacos al Carbon at 4420 Lake Worth Road, Lake Worth FL are the best tacos anywhere on the East coast. Check it out on yelp

http://www.yelp.com/biz/tacos-al-carbon-lake-worth
robfisher
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mary and bob » Wed May 14, 2014 6:38 am

better than East Coast Tacos in Niantic CT ??
mary and bob
500 Club

Postby robfisher » Wed May 14, 2014 9:46 am

I'm sorry. I should have said the best I've eaten. Connecticut is one of the few states in which I've never had a taco. I'll surely have to correct that as soon as I can. But I will say Tacos al Carbon are actually my favorite east coast, west coast and all places in between. And I've enjoyed a LOT of tacos. The yelp reviews are about a point higher for Carbon. Don't know how that might translate in real taco goodness.
robfisher
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mary and bob » Wed May 14, 2014 10:04 am

Rob, we haven't eaten at the taco place you mentioned, so no way to compare. Our daughter lives near Niantic CT so we know that place. We have been unable to get to Mrs Wilkes the several times we have been in Savannah. Locals all say if you eat there you won't go back to Paula's. Understand there is usually a line at Mrs Wilkes so get there early, and it's family style pass the food around. We've camped out on Tybee Island and been to Uncle Bubba's several times but just heard it closed. Between Paula and her brother Bubba they've had some legal issues that surely has hurt business. My guess is that's the reason for Uncle Bubba's closing, although the public claim is it's to make other use of the property. We'll see, condos maybe??
mary and bob
500 Club

Postby robfisher » Thu May 15, 2014 10:38 pm

It's been several years since I've been to Mrs. Wilkes. But it was un unforgetful experience. People line up outside about starting sometime around 10:30 for the 11:00 meal. At 11:00 the doors open and you enter a room full of huge tables. There were a dozen or more at our table, from all over the world. Back in the day Mrs' Wilkes came into the room and said a blessing and out came the food. Piles of meat loaf, fried chicken, sausage and beef stew. Maybe 8 or 10 different vegetables, peas, potatoes, corn, yams, beans and being from Idaho I was unaware the Mac and cheese is a veggie.

The fun is meeting the people at your table. One person was a regular,eats there 3-4 times a month. The place was so friendly that within minutes the ice was broken and it seemed like we were just family.

I can't possibly over-recommend this place.

Here's a link to their web page http://mrswilkes.com/
robfisher
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Off Topic