Lookey loos

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Re: Lookey loos

Postby Wolfgang92025 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:47 pm

To my point of few, most of us knew that we would have people asking question.
Yes, I had folks ask question while I was cocking dinner. I just did the best I could.
If the shoe was on the other foot, I would maybe forget to be polite in my excitement to learn and see something new.
So I try to be patient and except the question and compliments that come with owning my trailer.
When it is all said and done, it is a great way to meet a diverse group of people you would otherwise maybe never get a chance to interact with. :R 8)
Wolfgang

Wolfgang92025
Lifetime member

Postby Woodbutcher » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:33 pm

The last night of our trip, we were sitting at the table, eating dinner. A couple walks past and says" permission to come aboard? " I said sure. He walked up, his wife hung back a little. It appeared she did not want to disturb our dinner. I answered the mans questions, but did not get up and open the doors and give a look inside which I normally would do. But I figured he invaded my space so I just gave the condensed version of a tour.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby GerryS » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:32 am

exminnesotaboy wrote:I have never had a bad experience with looky-loos in almost 9 years of camping. Some that don't know when to quit talking, but that isn't too bad.

I had a camp host actually tell me "Bu115h1t" and walk away when I told him I built my teardrop. He came back later in the day firing off build questions that only someone who built it would know; he was clearly trying to catch me in a lie. I answered all the questions in extremely detailed fashion until he actually admitted I probably did build it.

It's have politely told him to bugger off. I haven't had the need to pass an exam In years. Any calling BS is the same as calling me a liar. That's fightin' time. Secondly, he used profanity in front of my wife, he would have apologized.

Coming back was strike 3. I don't have a lot of tolerance for rude people, which tells me in humility I am probably a lot more rude than I think I am. That guy was itching for a fight and seriousy could easily find himself in heap big trouble if he did that to the wrong person.

At the very least, I'd have told him to his face and had a conversation with the state park. As camp host.... No.

Still...all that said. When I'm camping, it's MY time and my outdoor recroom. I'll talk the day away, but it's on my terms.. If I chose to talk to you is because I want to.

II have had a few people just walk up at gatherings...my dog usually tells me and once took on the task of security guard. But in nearly every case it starts with a hi from the road. I've never had a. Issue...except at gatherings. And I consider that an exhibit show....just part of the deal.
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Nobody » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:14 am

I too, generally tend to give short shrift to 'rude' folks but learned very early on that lotsa folks are curious & totally 'ignorant' of teardrops in general. My TD wasn't actually finished (but campable) on my first outing in Sep 2006. I'd stopped at a local liquor store to stock up on beer & while I was 'icing down' the brews, a lady in a passing car stopped & asked, "Sir, Sir, where'd you buy your trailer?" Of course I had to stop what I was doing & explain that I'd built it & give a short dissertation on TD's in general. Since then we've been approached (accosted??) many, many times, at campgrounds, gas stations, convenience stores, & yes, even in Wal Mart parking lots. One I remember best was at a rest area near Sweetwater Jct in Wyoming. We'd stopped to have a quick lunch & raised the hatch to make sandwiches. Had at least 3-4 passers by stop & ask ?? about the rig in less than a half hour. I've come to expect it & generally make allowances. Depends on the area of the country you're in. TDs are becoming more 'common' in some areas & thus the curiosity factor may be less...
Harvey -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Doing the right thing ain't always easy but, . . . it's always right!
Nobody
1000 Club
1000 Club

Lookey loos

Postby nevadatear » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:55 pm

Should be an interesting weekend in the lookiloos department. We are taking our woody to a small northern CA campground this weekend where we will be joined by desertmoose and their off road canvas covered tall tear and dmcam and their aluminum art deco small tear. No doubt 3 very different tears will garner some interest.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406753659.118571.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406753659.118571.jpg (233.15 KiB) Viewed 374 times

Pic taken at IRG this year
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Previous

Return to Off Topic