Rail road car

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Rail road car

Postby coyote » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:12 am

Well, it is off topic ... wife watched a show the other day. A couple bought a railroad car, remodeled the inside ( giant conversion trailer?) they pay the r.r. co. a couple hundred a month for parking on the siding somewhere. I guess, for a fee, you contact the r.r. and they will hook up and pull you to another part of the country! T.T. on rails? Coyote
coyote
Titanium Donating Member

Re: Rail road car

Postby rebapuck » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:56 pm

That sounds neat. Except you are stuck on a rail. Sleep would be hard to come by if you are next to a busy stretch.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby coyote » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:41 am

That, and around here, some of those sidings are not in the safest areas.
coyote
Titanium Donating Member

Postby tdprice54 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:30 pm

In 2007 I was on a 42" pipeline lay across Georgia. The line ran from Point Wentworth ,Georgia to Anderson South Carolina. Somewhere around Washington or Thomson Georgia we were passing through some virgin timber and we came across a small stretch of railroad. My curosity got the best of me one day and after work I started walking the line. About a mile from where I started I came across an abandonded luxury rail car. You could tell at one time this was the berries. It had very ornate wood carving and tin ceiling in it. Probably belonged to some rich railroader. Looked to be late 1800's. I have pictures of it somewhere and I'll get the kids to post. I have ran across lots of oddities laying lines across the U.S. I love anything old and historic. I have thousands of pictures of old abandoned homes, service stations,general stores ,movie theaters, firehouses, old school houses,walk in movie theaters,battlefields and just old homesteds. I love "Americana". I was on the east coast for 5 years straight and loved the country and the people. Only place I have ever been people didn't laugh at how I talked, they talked just like me! The United States is a beautiful country get out and see it!
tdprice54
Teardrop Builder

Postby tac422 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:04 am

tdprice,
I would really like to see some of your pictures. :)

Regarding railroad cars, my wifes family lived in a house in North Dakota that was made from an old railroad car.
The house is still standing.

They also have one that was converted to a chicken coop. It's made from wood and the walls are stuffed with sawdust for insulation.
tac422
500 Club

Return to Off Topic