9/11

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Re: 9/11

Postby Woodbutcher » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:31 am

I was installing a microwave in our kitchen.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby jss06 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:26 am

I was working for a cable television company. I was watching coverage of tower 1 when tower 2 was hit.
jss06
Palladium Donating Member

Postby wagondude » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:57 pm

I was laying the tile in my entry. My wife called from work and told me to turn on the TV. I asked which channel, she said "it doesn't matter". I didn't get much work done after that. Being on vacation from delivering air freight, I was the only one that took home a full week's pay that week.
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:26 pm

Here, on the West Coast, I was getting dressed when I got a call from my boss who told me not to come to work until I got a call back that it was okay. (...standard procedure for this type of thing). It's all a blur after that...Can't remember if I ever finally went in that day or not....Don't think I did.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Redneck Teepee » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:32 pm

I was on my way to the shop when I turned on the truck radio and caught an interview with a pilot who was talking about how the tower should have and could have been missed by a plane in trouble, since I had been to NY and knew how close the towers were to the water I thought the same thing.

I don't believe at this point everyone had comprehended was was actually happening, I think everyone thought like me that a plane flew into it trying to get to safety. Once I got to the shop another fellow had the TV in the break room on watching it all, then the second plane hit and we all knew then we were under attack.

It broke my heart to see those towers collapse with all those innocent people in them. I will never forget those images. :( :( :(
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction, the world will have a generation of idiot's.
Redneck Teepee
Silver Donating Member

Postby rowerwet » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:27 am

I slept through most of it, I was working nights so got up around 9 am. When I did get up I got on the computer, saw a story, airplane hits WTC, clicked on it, no story ever came up, weird, didn't think much more about it. I left to eat lunch with my wife at her school and the radio was just reporting the first counter strike to the terrorists, flight 93.
I worked for an airline, our hangar was on an air national guard base, we had police with shotguns and AR-15s in the parking lot. And MPs on the roof with rifles.
I never saw the TV coverage until many years later on YouTube.
That evening my wife called to let me know we would be parents for the first time.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby Bigwoods » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:25 pm

That was the day of my mothers funeral. First time my brothers and sis were together in many years. My brother worked for the government in a special area and we met for breakfast. Both his phones went off and her said he had to leave but told us to watch the newscast. He headed to the near by base and was caught up in its lock down as the President was it fly there later that day.

He barely made it back to the funeral in time. We all sat around a motel room and watch the tv. It was interesting. My brother had been in Saudi Arabia for a few years the previous year training troops. He had to be flown home because he was poisoned and it messed up his kidneys. He added a unique insight to all the drama and attack and was back in the Mid East within a few weeks. He is gone now, but served his country well.
Greg in Northern Minnesota

Bigwoods
500 Club

Postby Corwin C » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:25 pm

I was hauling asphalt between Panguitch and Big Water. Unfortunately the AM/FM radio in my truck wasn't working, so I didn't hear any real news until late in the evening. It took several days to separate the BS that I heard on the CB from the real occurances that happened that day.

We must never forget. We must remember the lessons that we learned so dearly that day. We must use that knowledge to stop terrorism wherever it lurks.
Corwin
Image Image Image
If I am unwilling to stand up straight before the world and admit what I have accomplished during the day, without excuses, in complete and honest detail, then I can do better ...
and no one should be expected to accept anything less.
-- myself
Corwin C
500 Club

Postby rowerwet » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:03 pm

We didn't learn anything, instead we get groped at the airport, train, bus station, have our privacy invaded every way possible, and the very kind of people who did the attack get to fly without ID, and everybody is worried about profiling.
Will anybody learn the next time!?
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby Roly Nelson » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:18 am

The sweet wife and I were camped in our motorhome in my highschool buddy's backyard. We were fulltimers and 25000 miles from our home in So Calif. He came out and got us and we spent the rest of the day watching the unbelieveable events in his house. Lets hope that it doesn't happen again.
:( :thumbdown: Roly ~~
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Postby Corwin C » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:46 am

rowerwet wrote:We didn't learn anything, instead we get groped at the airport, train, bus station, have our privacy invaded every way possible, and the very kind of people who did the attack get to fly without ID, and everybody is worried about profiling.
Will anybody learn the next time!?

I think that the majority of people learned many lessons that day ... terrorism is real and we are not immune ... a handful of people can sucker-punch a great nation ... the public must be able to protect ourselves (yes, even in airplanes) ... national pride and love for your neighbor exists everywhere ... and so on. However, I agree, too many of the solutions that were put in place were poorly thought out, knee-jerk reactions, which ended up reducing freedom rather than preventing terrorism. Current leadership (on both sides of the aisle) seem to be content with trying to build a "world made out of NERF" rather than proactively seeking and stopping those who would harm us. God willing, my prayer is that we learn to choose better leaders, those leaders come up with more liberating and effective policies while increasing freedom, and that there will NEVER be a "next time."
Corwin
Image Image Image
If I am unwilling to stand up straight before the world and admit what I have accomplished during the day, without excuses, in complete and honest detail, then I can do better ...
and no one should be expected to accept anything less.
-- myself
Corwin C
500 Club

Return to Off Topic