Diabeties

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Re: Diabeties

Postby Phooey » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:06 pm

A great deal can be done with eating a good diet which pretty much could be said of a lot of issues. Do what your doctor recommends and ask him to refer you to a Diabetic Instructor or Dietician. This website can also get you started in the right direction.

http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitnes ... can-i-eat/

Good luck :thumbsup:
Phooey
Teardrop Master

Postby mrwall1 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:34 pm

Good Luck! Follow peoples advise! it is worth it!! I was diagnosed in 2005... I lost 90 lbs... and got it under control with just diet....after 3 years I quit smoking and then developed a don't give a sh...t attitude... and I gained weight again... bad numbers came back... I went too long about 3 years uncontrolled... ended up on insulin.. which makes it impossible to lose weight... developed neuropathy.. in both my feet.. life really sucked... finally I got it together.. started loosing weight... watched what I ate.. and now I stick to a strict diet and exercise regiment... although for some reason I gained 30 lbs this winter and I noticed my blood sugar was a little high the other morning.. so back to being strict...

But I am off all medication.... but will have the neuropathy... for the rest of my life... I limit my alcohol to 1 or 2 beers a week...

Best thing to do is to Lose 20 pounds.... that helps tremendously! walk 1 to 2 miles everyday... No Potatoes, No white Rice, No White Bread.. and really try to give up alcohol... I heard Rum or Vodka.. is not as hard on your system... but best to avoid... if you smoke... quit... it increased the risk of Heart attack.... check your sugar levels 4 times a day... but morning is the most important.... if you are doing things right and number is still high in the morning... try eating a small bit of protein before you go to sleep... I use cottage cheese.. but a chees slice.. or some good quality deli meat is good also...

and most of all to keep from going to low....which is very dangerous... eat very small amount of food every 2 to 3 hours...

just don't ignore it... you want to enjoy camping for years to come!!
my Old Teardrop build journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=59792
My New 7x16 Continental V Nose Build
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=67734
My Photobucket Link to 7x16 V nose build
http://s20.photobucket.com/user/mrwall/ ... %20Trailer
Mike
mrwall1
Teardrop Master

Postby dales133 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:46 pm

Thanks again for good advice.
I hardly eat carbs anyway so that won't be an issue...can you have carbs though?
Like would a good quality burger..nothing to huge or dripping in fat be ok?
As for meat ect what's the rules?
I realy will have the biggest problem with scotch and beer!
I could do with cutting down but I'd rather be able to have a couple of beers a day and sacrifice something else when it's under control
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:28 pm

I have been able to keep mine under control by diet alone. Just finished an appointment with my GP, blood test came back good for the last three month, which included the holidays.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby mrwall1 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:01 pm

Everything in moderation... You will find what's comfortable as time goes on.... The biggest problem with alcohol is you are only suppose to have 30 to 45 carbs per meal and 10 to 15 for snacks even the lowest carb beer micolob 64 has 64 carbs.... With the scotch the fear is alcohol doesn't effect you til later so you can end up being too low of level which is more dangerous.... Eat protein if you drink.... Keeps you from going up or down too fast... As far as hamburgers eat extra lean meats... Chicken turkey ny steak not rib eye 93% lean hamburger fatty meats are usually part of the reason people get diabetes.. Fast food is horrible for diabetics.... If I must I have taco times taco salad or their natural soft taco... Jack in the box pita fajita...the buns are very high in carbs... Stay away from most cerials or bagels... Scrambled eggs are a lot healthier
Mike
mrwall1
Teardrop Master

Postby pchast » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:35 pm

Hey,

I found out I had it about 5 yrs ago... It takes a little time to get used to counting carbs. I was testing 3 times a day for a while to figure it out. Its worked out pretty well. I find I can have almost anything I want if I just watch the portion control. Its not real difficult to keep to that 60-70 carbs a meal, 30 in between for snacks.

Buck up. You should be fine. :thumbsup:
You may need to pass on some of that beer though.
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Phooey » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:10 pm

Beer is a big no-no. White wine is off the table too. At least I can still have red wine but only one glass in the evening. All things in moderation. Try to stay away from white flour, white sugar, rice, potatoes, bananas, orange juice and yogurt. It will all work itself out. Good luck :applause:
Phooey
Teardrop Master

Postby dales133 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:59 am

I found some zero carb 1 gram of sugar beer today.any reason that wouldn't be ok to have a couple after work?
I also got my results today and it's confirmed but I did drop from 26 to 17 since I saw him yesterday but my cholesterol high to!
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby mrwall1 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:16 am

Wow cool what brand... I was going to tell you too move to Washington!! Pot is legal here and it has no carbs!!! LoL!! Although the munchies might!!!
Mike
mrwall1
Teardrop Master

Postby DrCrash » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:20 am

mrwall1 wrote:fatty meats are usually part of the reason people get diabetes..

Where did you get this info?
I have never heard this before and did a google search and found nothing on it .
Post links please
DrCrash
The 300 Club

Postby coyote » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:13 am

Smart a$$ dr said I had won the trifecta, high b.p., cholesterol and diabetics! ( I love her, by the way) but, I paid attention to her. Some meds, weight, and the hated exersize word! Even if it was only buying a pedometer and getting the reccomended 10,000 steps a day. It's been 13 years, I still watch everything, but all three are down. It did not miraculously fix anything overnight, just kept trudging. Modertion ( had to look that word up, I only ever saw that was when I swung by it going from one extreme to the other) life's not over, just changed some. Gosh, I remember being 25 and bulletproof, but I would never go back, even if I could! Hang in there! Coyote
coyote
Titanium Donating Member

Postby bobhav » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:25 am

coyote,

This thread reminds me of one of the quotes that I have heard. "If I had known I was going to live this long, I'd played harder. I sure as sh__ can't play hard now." I know we are all old folks. We're sitting here typing on the net for all to read, about our declining health. When I was younger, and vinegar was still vinegar, I never thought about becoming an old _art.

Bob H.

and quote="coyote"]Smart a$$ dr said I had won the trifecta, high b.p., cholesterol and diabetics! ( I love her, by the way) but, I paid attention to her. Some meds, weight, and the hated exersize word! Even if it was only buying a pedometer and getting the reccomended 10,000 steps a day. It's been 13 years, I still watch everything, but all three are down. It did not miraculously fix anything overnight, just kept trudging. Modertion ( had to look that word up, I only ever saw that was when I swung by it going from one extreme to the other) life's not over, just changed some. Gosh, I remember being 25 and bulletproof, but I would never go back, even if I could! Hang in there! Coyote[/quote]
bobhav
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mrwall1 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:57 pm

DrCrash wrote:
mrwall1 wrote:fatty meats are usually part of the reason people get diabetes..

Where did you get this info?
I have never heard this before and did a google search and found nothing on it .
Post links please

I don't have any links... off hand... I saw a few references under a google search.. but nothing concrete... But during my diabetes education and a Bariatric seminar I went to.. both places explained how obesity is the leading cause of Diabetes as a direct result from eating especially Fast food which is high in fatty meats... and corn syrup... and one theory is that eating fatty meats causes a fatty liver... and most people who get type II diabetes have a fatty liver.... there are always some exceptions... such as Hereditary...
Mike
mrwall1
Teardrop Master

Postby Bill n Robi » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:19 pm

I always had high blood pressure and cholesterol, woke up in the ER with Type II diabetes one day... Had the diabetes under control with diet and moderate exercise but a few years ago it started to get a bit worse. Started on a medication that has it under control.

BUT there is some good news on the horizon, I have been participating in a Type II Diabetes study, under control with one shot a month, also seems to help with high blood pressure and the cholesterol is way down without medication. You usually have to have been diagnosed for a year before you can participate but you might check into a study in you area.

Plus $18,000 over last year and a half bought me a teardrop.

Bill
2015 T@G Max
2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4 Door Short Bed
Bill n Robi
The 300 Club

Postby dales133 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:34 pm

The beers called "big head"...brewed in aussie.i guess if anything comes of this I'll clean up my life a bit.
And Yea i hear you even at 38 I was fit and health...46 and I'm falling apart at the seems
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic