Tire Pressure Sensors gone bad...

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Re: Tire Pressure Sensors gone bad...

Postby Loren » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:57 pm

I put steel wheels and snows on my subaru and a piece of black electrical tape over the sensor light. I use a tire gauge and a calibrated eyeball (50+ years of checking tires). Seems to work just fine.
Loren
Loren
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Redneck Teepee » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:20 am

Woodbutcher wrote:My light has been on in my van for 2 years. I'm not fixing it. I have driven for 40 years before getting a vehicle with a low pressure warning light. I plan on making is till my kid takes my keys away before worrying about it. But that's just me....

I'm with you Woodbutcher, yes my truck and the wife's car has those sensor's....but I've been checking my air pressure for almost 50 years now and will continue to check it before each trip....just me. :D
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction, the world will have a generation of idiot's.
Redneck Teepee
Silver Donating Member

Postby jstrubberg » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:59 pm

A tire pressure gage runs about ten bucks.
The more stuff I take along, the more time I spend taking care of my stuff!
jstrubberg
500 Club

Postby Rolly » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:08 am

Something I just learned about Tire Pressure Monitoring Sensors. When they are installed there is a torque spec. Over torquing them can lead to early failure. Different manufactures have different torque specs.

Gary
Rolly
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Catherine+twins » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:51 pm

When ever I get new tires I get hit $40 each for new sensors. My dear step-dad, too. Are we getting scammed by these guys telling us they have to be replaced every time we buy new tires? Never occurred to me to argue.

At the same time, I had one not sealing from day one (bought some fix-a-flat, gunked it up good, it's fine--hey, the local garage guy told me to), and another go bad within two months of buying new tires. Every cold morning (hey, winter???) it shows low pressure (not). Just as well we only had winter for two weeks this year. 8)

Catherine
Build Thread Penguino II: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=54919
Build Thread Penguino I: viewtopic.php?t=44431
"Oh, let's just stay here and sing camp songs for a while." 1966, My mom in Isle Royale, MN, in a women's bath house with a momma bear and two cubs outside the door, and three tired kids trapped inside
"Dad! Dad! There's a bear outside!" 1967, Lolo Hot Springs, MT, in a tent-top trailer
"Oh, no, there it goes!!" Nov 10, 2012 as Penguino I blew over in high winds
Catherine+twins
The 300 Club

Postby tony.latham » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:07 pm

Are we getting scammed by these guys telling us they have to be replaced every time we buy new tires?

Yes, you are. I think I've put three sets of tires on my Tacoma since purchasing it in 2007. Les Schwaab has never put new sensors in.

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:15 pm

Catherine+twins wrote:When ever I get new tires I get hit $40 each for new sensors. My dear step-dad, too. Are we getting scammed by these guys telling us they have to be replaced every time we buy new tires? Never occurred to me to argue.

At the same time, I had one not sealing from day one (bought some fix-a-flat, gunked it up good, it's fine--hey, the local garage guy told me to), and another go bad within two months of buying new tires. Every cold morning (hey, winter???) it shows low pressure (not). Just as well we only had winter for two weeks this year. 8)

Catherine

Maybe they don't know how to change a tire without breaking them. But most vehicles you do not have to change them when changing tires.
I live in Michigan we had -30 temps non of my friends had issues. I don't have TPMS in my winter tires, so I didn't either!
I'm sure the cold does cause temp changes , but I never had one go bad.
Also some are "rebuild able" they use an o ring/rubber seal and can be removed from a rim and installed with a new ring on a different rim. But the hole area in a lot of aftermarket rims will not seat the o-ring. This might just be for 4x4 off road style rims.
I might have mentioned- Not Im not a fan! Needless expense.
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby MtnDon » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:05 pm

Tony, we have an '06 Tacoma. Last winter the sensor system began to give false low pressure warnings when the temperature fell to below freezing. That was an early signal that at least one battery was failing.

Padilen, I believe all the TPMS sensors are rebuildable, but that is only as far as the air seal between the unit and the rim. None of them have user changeable batteries as far as I know.

TPMS is a nice feature when great numbers of the population check their tire pressures as often as they check their motor oil; which is just about never. Low pressure can be hazardous not only to the driver of that vehicle but can be hazard to everyone else as well. In that respect I'm all for them.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:08 pm

Tony, we have an '06 Tacoma. Last winter the sensor system began to give false low pressure warnings when the temperature fell to below freezing. That was an early signal that at least one battery was failing.

Don:

Yep, next winter I expect to see them go under.

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:28 am

MtnDon,
Yes that's what I meant- they can be placed in different rims. But many are being told they have to buy new as the previous poster. A friend just had some installed that are "2" piece. Claim is valve stem can be changed without breaking bead. That will save some money.
And I agree about the never's but they just ignore the light or have a back yard mechanic replace with a plan valve stem. The ones that can afford vehicle maintenance use as a reminder, when their vehicle needs to get serviced
I'm against legislation when it should be common sense. Seriously people need a law to tell them not to text and drive?
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby MtnDon » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:28 am

Padilen wrote:MtnDon,

I'm against legislation when it should be common sense. Seriously people need a law to tell them not to text and drive?

I agree wholeheartedly with a BUT. The BUT being that we seem to have an overly large proportion of people who act stupid. However, I won't carry on with that rant. :)

I also like the TPMS for the early warning I might get if I get a slow leak on a long drive or between the times I manually check pressures. That has happened; usually I can tell by feel, but the TPMS kicked in earlier than my seat of pants on one occasion. I can afford to spend the money to replace them. If people can not afford to replace them they can use regular stems. Unless they live in a handful of states (WV, VT, HI, some others I think) where the TPMS light being on will provoke a fail on the vehicle inspection. I don't even like handsfree phones; while driving I let it roll to voicemail.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby wagondude » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:07 pm

Catherine+twins wrote:When ever I get new tires I get hit $40 each for new sensors. My dear step-dad, too. Are we getting scammed by these guys telling us they have to be replaced every time we buy new tires? Never occurred to me to argue.
Catherine

Maybe. How often are you changing tires? My 2010 has less than 60k miles on the factory tires. I will get new tires this coming fall. Due to the age of the sensors, I will plan on replacing the sensors. My next set of tires will not last as long as I have taken over as primary driver and put a lot more miles on. I will probably get two sets of tires out of the new sensors, if I keep the car that long.
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Lesbest » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:18 pm

Since the TPMS system is federally mandated, any removal or modification is against the law. The early Corvette system had location specific sensors. A used wheel with a LF sensor on the RF would make the module go crazy---2 LF sensors and no RF sensor, you had to look for the problem. The new cars have smarter sensors that are programmable, after they are installed , the tech goes from wheel to wheel in a prescribed order to teach the sensor where they are. Since cars only have 4 wheels, and a spare the module will only read 5 inputs and a trailer wheel would be too far away for the module to read it. A tech walking thru the lot with the reader/programmer in his hand can by turning it on and going thru the wake-up sequence change the sensor on a car he is walking passed by accident. Don't know it happened till owner comes back with a stupid sensor (light on) and it reprograms ok.

The sensors are not universal, they can be car specific, wheel specific, and year specific. PA. has an inspection yearly to get your plate sticker and the light has to be off to start the inspection, thus you have to maintain the system.

Fix-a-flat will kill a TPMS sensor, if you have a slow leak get the tire fixed. If you used fix-a-flat the chemical in the slop gets in the hole in the tire and stops the leak, but the chemicals are not compatible with the glue for patching, so that means you ruined the tire too, because you can't patch it.

Look at the box or bag the sensor comes in, it's dated, New Old Stock, or NOS is not good for TPMS sensors, 6 years old when installed won't give you 5 years use. So watch buying online auctions.

You can thank the legislators for these added items, the manufacturers HAD to add them, helped along by the Ford Explorer debacle, from a few years ago.

Hope this helps,
Les
Music is like chocolate.......you can't really enjoy it unless the rappers are gone.
Lesbest
The 300 Club

Postby Redneck Teepee » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:06 am

Lesbest wrote:Since the TPMS system is federally mandated, any removal or modification is against the law. The early Corvette system had location specific sensors. A used wheel with a LF sensor on the RF would make the module go crazy---2 LF sensors and no RF sensor, you had to look for the problem. The new cars have smarter sensors that are programmable, after they are installed , the tech goes from wheel to wheel in a prescribed order to teach the sensor where they are. Since cars only have 4 wheels, and a spare the module will only read 5 inputs and a trailer wheel would be too far away for the module to read it. A tech walking thru the lot with the reader/programmer in his hand can by turning it on and going thru the wake-up sequence change the sensor on a car he is walking passed by accident. Don't know it happened till owner comes back with a stupid sensor (light on) and it reprograms ok.

The sensors are not universal, they can be car specific, wheel specific, and year specific. PA. has an inspection yearly to get your plate sticker and the light has to be off to start the inspection, thus you have to maintain the system.

Fix-a-flat will kill a TPMS sensor, if you have a slow leak get the tire fixed. If you used fix-a-flat the chemical in the slop gets in the hole in the tire and stops the leak, but the chemicals are not compatible with the glue for patching, so that means you ruined the tire too, because you can't patch it.

Look at the box or bag the sensor comes in, it's dated, New Old Stock, or NOS is not good for TPMS sensors, 6 years old when installed won't give you 5 years use. So watch buying online auctions.

You can thank the legislators for these added items, the manufacturers HAD to add them, helped along by the Ford Explorer debacle, from a few years ago.

Hope this helps,
Les

100% correct information :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Even though I have 2 vehicles with the sensors I still before a long trip check tire pressure for peace of mind. Just me :D :D
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction, the world will have a generation of idiot's.
Redneck Teepee
Silver Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:22 pm

Lesbest wrote:Since the TPMS system is federally mandated, any removal or modification is against the law. The early Corvette system had location specific sensors. A used wheel with a LF sensor on the RF would make the module go crazy---2 LF sensors and no RF sensor, you had to look for the problem. The new cars have smarter sensors that are programmable, after they are installed , the tech goes from wheel to wheel in a prescribed order to teach the sensor where they are. Since cars only have 4 wheels, and a spare the module will only read 5 inputs and a trailer wheel would be too far away for the module to read it. A tech walking thru the lot with the reader/programmer in his hand can by turning it on and going thru the wake-up sequence change the sensor on a car he is walking passed by accident. Don't know it happened till owner comes back with a stupid sensor (light on) and it reprograms ok.

Hope this helps,
Les

I believe it was more owners not Ford or Firestone, Aluminum rims.
Padilen
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic