Need help with foam

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Need help with foam

Postby RogerG » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:34 am

I am not sure if this in the right area or not, please move if it isn't.
My teardrop build got pushed off because i am trying to make a bit of cash fixing a car to help fund the teardrop. The floor is being mostly replaced, also and this is where the problem is I am redoing the headliner.
I got some foam and material and stripped the old headliner down to the old backer which seems to be made from a dense styrofoam. I got a couple cans of a spray adhesive from the store i got the fabric and the foam from. Used a whole can on the backer, followed the instructions and the foam didn't stick. I used contact cement the last time i repaired a headliner (many years ago) so off to town i go to get some contact cement. The original adhesive dried real nice so i just put the contact cement right over top of it. Then start putting the contact cement on the foam padding, it started shrinking and swelling :x not very happy. So off I go back to town looking for some different foam padding. The fella at the store isn't very helpful. So now i am wondering if i could use titebond or some type of glue to foam pad to the backer and the fabric to the foam pad that wont make the foam pad or fabric hard. The contact cement is still on the backer and isn't removeable

Please help.

Roger
RogerG
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Need help with foam

Postby Gage » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:01 pm

Why don't you go to a TOP SHOP and ask them what they use. :o
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Re: Need help with foam

Postby wagondude » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:24 pm

You need a contact adhesive that does not contain strong solvents to work with foam. 3M makes one (30NF, I think, but check on that) that is foam safe. It costs more than the regular contact cement.
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Off Topic