Christmas Drones?

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Christmas Drones?

Postby MtnDon » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:59 pm

Anybody get a drone for Christmas? How big? FPV (camera) or not?
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Re: Christmas Drones?

Postby halfdome, Danny » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:55 pm

I'm happy that we live within 5 miles of an airport so we won't have drones flying/hovering over our property and invading our privacy.
Also happy they are banned in the National Parks.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby lrrowe » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:42 pm

:thumbsup:
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby coyote » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:09 am

I didn't, but four guys at work did! It's a Cat. dealership; very large, air conditioned, clean shop . Lunch, breaks, acrobats, races, flybys! Like a private air show :applause:
coyote
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Roly Nelson » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:00 pm

I'm with you Danny, as a private pilot who once almost ran into a kite while on final approach to landing, I predict it will only be a matter of time before many lives will be lost, when a jet airliner injests a drone. Not many drone flyers will abide by all of the new rules established, such as flight training, written tests, insurance, etc. Down with drones, let the cops and firemen fly them. Now, if they could deliver a pizza to my front yard, well that is a different story.
:frightened: Roly~~
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Postby bdosborn » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:53 pm

I got a couple of quadracopters; none of them have cameras.

I got a Latrax Alias and a Brookstone nano quad. I haven't taken the big one outside yet, I've been training with the nano. Its great fun but the learning curve sure is steep!

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby MtnDon » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:07 pm

:thumbsup: Cool, Bruce! I have not bit that bullet yet... still looking. I do wonder how they perform at our rocky mountain higher elevations. So far I have not searched hard enough for local flyers with any experience around 8000 + feet. I had some poor experiences with some small fixed wing R/C aircraft a ways back in time.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby bdosborn » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:37 pm

Get a Holy Stone HS170 Predator and start flying it around your living room to see if you like flying a quad. I got one and I'm having a great time learning how to fly.

You can get spare batteries for it and extend your flying time. It only costs $40 so you won't feel bad when you crash, and you'll crash *a lot*. If you like it, you can move up to a bigger model and hopefully by then you can fly it.

Bruce
P.S. A an external cell phone battery works great for recharging the quad.
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Return to Off Topic