Buying off-grid land -vs- full-time nomad?

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Postby Tortoise » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:22 am

What are the pros/cons of each? I've been researching BLM land, where people can boondock for (free?) 2 week installments before moving locations. Instead of property taxes, the costs consist of using more fuel. If I'm going to have a vehicle anyway, I can't really avoid vehicle registration, insurance, vehicle maintenance, etc.

Buying a piece of land would allow one to improve the land, build permanent fixtures, and possibly have a mailbox.

Would travelling north during the summer and south during the summer (snowbirding) cost less than trying to heat/cool a fixed location? I guess that depends, huh?

I'm trying to figure out which path to take right now. Buy an acre somewhere and try to "homestead" it, or just drift around and find new places to park all the time.

I guess the whole point of building a trailer is its mobility, so buying land would cancel that out. Although there'd be less wear and tear on the trailer if it just sat in one spot.

What are your opinions about which is better for a single guy just trying to survive? What would cost less, provide more comforts, etc? Just curious what the internet thinks about it all, thanks.
Tortoise
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Buying off-grid land -vs- full-time nomad?

Postby rowerwet » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:04 pm

An acre gives you a home base. You can still wander as you like.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby VijayGupta » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:19 pm

You need to read the saga of "Bob's Caboose" before you plunk down money on land.
VijayGupta
Teardrop Master

Postby Tortoise » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:33 pm

After doing some more research, I've realized that there is no freedom owning "your own land". The powers that be dictate what you can do, how large your abode must be, and all kinds of other red tape. I've heard stories of people losing "their" land because they're weren't part of the grid. How eminent domain can build highways through "your" land and you lose. I've since given up on the dream, since it was a farce. Taxes increase as you improve the land with electric or water as well. Infinite yearly taxes.

The deed is a piece of paper that allows one to use the government's land, forever paying for that privilege. Permits for this and that, so the county can profit. Inspections are an invasion of your privacy, etc. It's quite sad, really. They ceased issuing permits, even though they say you can camp on your land for more than 14 days with a permit. Places just stopped issuing these permits, and the "landowners" are helpless and homeless. Here's just one example of people threatened to be arrested for TRESSPASSSING ON THEIR OWN LAND:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xL5i3iJpKk

TONS of more examples of this atrocity on youtube and google. I wonder if maybe there'd be more freedom in Mexico, but I think I'll just roam around and do the nomad thing at this point.
Tortoise
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Tortoise » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:51 pm

VijayGupta wrote:You need to read the saga of "Bob's Caboose" before you plunk down money on land.

I found a 69-page thread I'm assuming is what you're referring to, but I'm not sure what part of it I should focus on: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=47804&start=1020

Maybe you could offer a hint, or summary of what you're wanting me to read? Thanks.
Tortoise
Teardrop Inspector

Postby MtnDon » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:11 pm

Why does it have to be one or the other?

A combination is best for myself and my wife.

1. A place in the suburbs, close enough to a medium large city to have the enjoyable city "things" available to us, but far enough away that the downsides do not bother us (much).
2. A place in the nearby mountains, off grid, where we can enjoy the outdoors on a piece of land somewhat remote of immediate neighbors.
3. A 4x4 and small trailer (CTC) so we can go see new places and revisit old favorites when we desire.

I have hobbies I enjoy that would be difficult to impossible to pursue without having a home base to call home. YMMV.

No lifestyle is free of some sort of rules. IMO. Constant moving means the potential for running afoul of constantly changing rules. Being a 30+ year owner in the same place has allowed us to partake in the rule making and governmental process.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby lrrowe » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:24 pm

MtnDon wrote:

Why does it have to be one or the other?

A combination is best for myself and my wife.

1. A place in the suburbs, close enough to a medium large city to have the enjoyable city "things" available to us, but far enough away that the downsides do not bother us (much).
2. A place in the mountains, off grid, where we can enjoy the outdoors on a piece of land somewhat remote of immediate neighbors.
3. A 4x4 and small trailer (CTC) so we can go see new places and revisit old favorites when we desire.

I have hobbies I enjoy that would be difficult to impossible to pursue without having a home base to call home. YMMV.

No lifestyle is free of some sort of rules. IMO. Constant moving means the potential for running afoul of constantly changing rules.

I like this combination and can see the balance you are achieving. I only wish I had considered that approach years ago. It is too late in my life to do it, so my CT project will give me some feeling for it.

BTW, what is YMMV?
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby MtnDon » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:34 pm

YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary :)
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby lrrowe » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:35 pm

Thanks
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby MtnDon » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:38 pm

lrrowe wrote:I like this combination and can see the balance you are achieving. I only wish I had considered that approach years ago. It is too late in my life to do it, so my CT project will give me some feeling for it.

You make it sound like we were wise.... it was more a matter of dumb luck repeated a few times. We first moved here (suburbs) from 1550 miles away to be near to my wife's family. We fell into a line of work that allowed us to live in the 'burbs and supply services to the folks that also chose to live here. The mountains happened to be close enough to be very accessible. We got lucky finding the land; land most others would turn their noses up at for assorted factors... no power grid being one. And we like to travel here and there, but like our homes.

MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby lrrowe » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:40 pm

MtnDon wrote:
lrrowe wrote:I like this combination and can see the balance you are achieving. I only wish I had considered that approach years ago. It is too late in my life to do it, so my CT project will give me some feeling for it.

You make it sound like we were wise.... it was more a matter of dumb luck repeated a few times. We first moved here (suburbs) from 1550 miles away to be near to my wife's family. We fell into a line of work that allowed us to live in the 'burbs and supply services to the folks that also chose to live here. The mountains happened to be close enough to be very accessible. We got lucky finding the land; land most others would turn their noses up at for assorted factors... no power grid being one. And we like to travel here and there, but like our homes.

I had a boss once who said he would much rather be luckly then good.
Bob

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:11 pm

Tortoise wrote:What are the pros/cons of each? I've been researching BLM land, where people can boondock for (free?) 2 week installments before moving locations. Instead of property taxes, the costs consist of using more fuel. If I'm going to have a vehicle anyway, I can't really avoid vehicle registration, insurance, vehicle maintenance, etc.

Buying a piece of land would allow one to improve the land, build permanent fixtures, and possibly have a mailbox.

Would travelling north during the summer and south during the summer (snowbirding) cost less than trying to heat/cool a fixed location? I guess that depends, huh?

I'm trying to figure out which path to take right now. Buy an acre somewhere and try to "homestead" it, or just drift around and find new places to park all the time.

I guess the whole point of building a trailer is its mobility, so buying land would cancel that out. Although there'd be less wear and tear on the trailer if it just sat in one spot.

What are your opinions about which is better for a single guy just trying to survive? What would cost less, provide more comforts, etc? Just curious what the internet thinks about it all, thanks.

The problem with what you are asking is that there are too many variables that depend upon you, your income and savings, what you can do, where you want to live, if you can live there, etc. The only way that anyone can answer you question is based on their own personal experience, which may be very different than your circumstances.

What would I do? Assuming I had the money necessary, I would first secure a permanent place to live. Why? Because, then, you always have somewhere to come home to where you can grow your food and have shelter; and, hopefully, water. If you own a pickup truck, you can build a camper shell out of foam for roaming and camping in without spending a lot of money. Even if something happens to your cabin, house, or whatever is on your property, you will have shelter in your foamie truck camper. If you have land, even if something happens to your camper, you have or can make shelter on your land. That way, you have both bases covered. Also, property values tend to go up and down; but, overall, prices tend to go up. If you don't buy land now, you may not be able to afford it later. Add to that, money tends to flow through ones hands when not invested somewhere, somehow. If you don't buy now, are you certain that you'll still have the money and enough money later? If you buy land, you will have something to sell later, should you change your mind; and, chances are, you will make money on it, even if you just hold on to it without making any improvements to it.

Now, think about paying property taxes; building your off-grid home; meeting the building codes for the land that you plan to purchase; dealing with and disposing of your personal refuse; setting up cooking facilities, lights, water supply, making repairs, etc. Do you have enough money, time, cash, brain and brawn? Only you know those answers.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Return to Off Topic