Aviation Enthusiasts Sound Off

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Postby Dave Gray » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:50 am

I am a member of the EAA and local EAA Chapter 1077, New Philadelphia, OH at KPHD.

EAAers are not unlike Teardroppers and can't wait for the next gathering to meet old and new friends. Airventure is fairly new name for an annual event (53 years) that the regulars most often just call Oshkosh. Airventure is the EAA's National Convention. It is the largest gathering of aviation enthusiasts in the world and people from all over the world attend. There is an airshow every afternoon and an airplane of some type flying all day long. Last year the USAF Thunderbirds were there. On Wednesday and Saturday there is a Night Airshow where the airplanes fly with fireworks coming off them and a fantastic regular fireworks display afterward. You sit on your own chair with no physical fence between you and the runway less than 150 yards away and you can take your own snacks. During the day you can walk through thousands of airplanes of all types from homebuilts to Warbirds. Hundreds of thousands of people attend during the week but it doesn't feel like it because they are spread all over the grounds.

As far as the camping goes, It is on a first come basis but I have never seen a time when you couldn't find a spot. (no electric) You may not be close to the show grounds but a bicycle ride of 5 minutes will get you there. The shower houses are well maintained and have a few flush toilets but there are port-a-johns all over the place that are kept clean all week long. I actually prefer to use them most of the time. Motorized vehicles are permitted in the campgrounds but nothing other than handicap vehicles are permitted inside the gate. There is a three day minimum and they charge you from the date of arrival to the end of the event ($26 per night). If you leave early you are reimbursed later for the remainder of the days after three. Trust me it's not hard to stay at least three days. There are three different waves of people that come. First the early group, then the all week long group comes. Most stay until Thursday morning so as to take in the first Night Airshow. The last wave comes in Thursday and stays until Sunday.

See You In Oshkosh!
Dave Gray
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Aviation Enthusiasts Sound Off

Postby Dave Gray » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:19 am

Is anyone else going in 2016?
Dave Gray
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Pmullen503 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:07 am

I'll be there but I live only 20 miles away so I won't be camping . I usually have a half dozen or so house guests for the event .
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby rowerwet » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:25 am

Never been, always wanted to. Lifelong airplane nut, still love them. I'm an A&P so I get paid to hang out at the airport and watch them take off and land. I also fly for work often, in the copilot seat, most pilots let me fly when I want. I have a few take offs and landings in turbo prop planes I could log.
Being the breadwinner for a family of six, my hobby is small boats that I build myself.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby Jdw2717 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:57 pm

I would like to go but I don't know if I will have the vacation to do it. I have too many trips planned for this year already. but you never know, I may cave and find a way to do it.
"Twenty years form now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines... Explore. Dream. Discover" Mark Twain

John & Tatanya
Jdw2717
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:00 pm

I flew my Avid Flyer back there twice. The first time, while turning to final for Runway Right, there was a Constellation on final coming over the lake for Runway left and a tad bit faster than my approach speed. How was I supposed to focus with THAT distraction? It may have been the only Connie still flying. Dunno.

Oshkosh is an unbelievable experience. :thumbsup: :pictures:

No future plans. I sold the bird several years ago. :thumbdown:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby skinnedknuckles » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:54 pm

I am planning on attending again this year , might even go for a ride in the B-17 this time. I won't be camping out though I only live a couple of hours away and I usually spend one or two days looking and dreaming, I know its not enough time but I still have to take time to work . This year we have "Fifi" B-29 coming to the airport here in Janesville along with Aluminum Overcast from the EAA in July. We also have a vintage traditional hot rod show ( it used to be held up at Symco, Wis and yes ,there have been a few teardrop and canned ham campers there ) on the EAA grounds using the Pioneer Airport at the EAA museum for a back drop for the old cars, that's in August. I was just at the EAA museum a couple of months ago and I never tire of it.
Paul
skinnedknuckles
Teardrop Master

Postby elcam84 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:47 pm

Well that's on the list now. Have always wanted to go to Oshkosh but there is no way to get a hotel room. Good to know that camping there is affordable and nice. One of these days if like to go to the Paris airshow as well.
elcam84
Teardrop Master

Postby Jdw2717 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:11 pm

Hmm...... Maybe next year we should have a teardrop rally at camp Scholler at Airventure. :D
"Twenty years form now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines... Explore. Dream. Discover" Mark Twain

John & Tatanya
Jdw2717
Teardrop Master

Postby Dave Gray » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:37 pm

I am driving up on Saturday July 23rd and planning on staying until the next weekend. I am pulling my small fifth wheel camper (26 ft). This year there are only about a dozen of my local EAA Chapter members planning to be in camp.

If you are interested in meeting and talking teardrops, my cell is three three zero two six zero eight five seven four.
Dave Gray
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Dave Gray » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:27 pm

Well Slow, my airplane is a 1957 Champ with no electric. You gotta pull the prop to start it. I am headed up to Oshkosh for the week on Saturday, July 23. You should go there once, lots of vintage Warbirds and General Aviation Airplanes. The EAA was started to preserve home building of airplanes by individuals.
Dave Gray
Teardrop Advisor

Postby dmdc411 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:16 pm

I really enjoyed working on planes! Everything from Cubs to 747-400s! 2003 it all ended as a career. Still interested in general aviation, but not as a career. I tried restoring boats, no money in it. Building a teardrop, too fussy to build for customers. So yes it is connected in many ways!
dmdc411
Teardrop Master

Postby KingAirNeal » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:15 am

Late to the party here, digging up a slumbering thread. Been working on, flying, and restoring airplanes for 29 years. I now fly the Yellow Airbus for a low cost major airline. And doing the hotel thing so much while working, helped drive me to build our off road tiny trailer. Latest restoration I did was a '46 Aeronca Champ. I have wrenched on everything from Cubs to King Airs. We have done the sailboat restoration thing too. Loving the trailer build to be quite honest. LMAO. Started flying at 12 years old, got 24 more years until the airlines put me out to pasture permanently.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KingAirNeal
Teardrop Master

Postby rockinrobin » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:36 pm

I have had my A&P for 46 years, IA for 41. Still working, running a small 3 man shop in the Texas Panhandle. Have owned, and restored several planes. Currently flying a Piper Super Cruiser that my Son and I restored. Been to Oshkosh six or seven times. Flew in there and camped out every time. Twice in a J3 cub. Still enjoy flying. But, tinkering with teardrop trailers, and taking my trailer on trips is a very welcome distraction from work now. Ronnie :vroom:
" It's all good"
rockinrobin
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Dave Gray » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:23 am

KingAirNeal wrote:Late to the party here, digging up a slumbering thread. Been working on, flying, and restoring airplanes for 29 years. I now fly the Yellow Airbus for a low cost major airline. And doing the hotel thing so much while working, helped drive me to build our off road tiny trailer. Latest restoration I did was a '46 Aeronca Champ. I have wrenched on everything from Cubs to King Airs. We have done the sailboat restoration thing too. Loving the trailer build to be quite honest. LMAO. Started flying at 12 years old, got 24 more years until the airlines put me out to pasture permanently.

Hi Neal, I like cloud streets.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dave Gray
Teardrop Advisor

Next

Return to Off Topic