Sandhill Crane Baby!

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Sandhill Crane Baby!

Postby daveesl77 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:17 pm

We will often have as many as a dozen sandhill cranes at the lake, but this couple never migrates and has lived here for years. This is the first year we've been able to see the actual nest. They have 2 eggs and the first one hatched today. The other egg should hatch soon. The nest is about 1,000 feet away, so not easy to see. Using a 400mm lens on the Canon, then doing 10x digital zoom we can watch pretty well. The baby is a big ball of yellow and orange fluff. It obviously has really long legs as it keeps falling down. Mom and Dad are not leaving.

to the funny side. A large flock of whistler ducks (actually they are geese), but they've been here for several months. About 3 weeks ago they all decided it would be great fun to start hanging out where the crane's have their nest. These whistlers have NEVER stayed on that side of the lake in the past. For the first week it drove the cranes crazy. Finally they just gave up. Then the ibis decided it must be the place to hang out, then the herons, and every other water bird in the area. The two ospreys are not welcome by the cranes, but the ospreys like to stand in the water and beat the crap out of sticks they find. Not sure what that is all about.

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Re: Sandhill Crane Baby!

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:49 pm

Thanks for sharing!
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:10 pm

...Awww! That picture is so cute! Thanks for that and the story, too! :applause:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Mary C » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:13 am

Watching animals and studiying their habits and trials is allways interesting to me it is one thing i have really enjoyed since retirement. your story was great. i really enjoyed yourr sharing.

Maey C.
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Nobes » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:31 am

I thought this would be about west texas high school football.
Nobes
Teardrop Master

Re: Sandhill Crane Babies.

Postby daveesl77 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:37 pm

It has been about 3.5 weeks since the two crane babies hatched and it has been pretty eventful. Laying two eggs isn't unususal, but for two to hatch is. For two to survive is even less often, but these guys are doing well. We did almost lose one about a week ago, when some moron decided it would be fun to let their dog run after the family. The small one (on the right) did get away, but the parents and the older chick took off running. I found the baby hiding in some bushes, and the parents were on the other side of the lake by then. We took it over to where they were and all is well. They like to walk around the lake every day, this shot was them walking in front of our house.

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Return to Off Topic