Alexa

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Re: Alexa

Postby lrrowe » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:44 pm

tony.latham wrote:
lrrowe wrote:I will not have one. The features and "gadget possibilities" intrigue me. But I guess I am just to cynical/distrustful of others (meaning big brother types).
I guess that ages me.

I'm betting your smartphone has more potential for privacy issues than an Alexa. All those apps...

Tony

You might be right Tony. I use GPS tracking ones while in the woods . Guess that might mean someone knows my hunting and hiking spots. I had better turn it off when going to a still. :lol: :o
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:45 pm

lrrowe wrote:
tony.latham wrote:
lrrowe wrote:I will not have one. The features and "gadget possibilities" intrigue me. But I guess I am just to cynical/distrustful of others (meaning big brother types).
I guess that ages me.

I'm betting your smartphone has more potential for privacy issues than an Alexa. All those apps...

Tony

You might be right Tony. I use GPS tracking ones while in the woods . Guess that might mean someone knows my hunting and hiking spots. I had better turn it off when going to a still. :lol: :o

:beer: Gaia and HuntX are great apps. :thumbsup:
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Bigwoods » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:06 pm

We ended up with the Google Home. We quite enjoy it. Were out in the woods in Northern Minn so it keep us up on the weather and answer questions like the age of someone on TV. Programmed to say many funny things. It you say good night is says Happy Sleep Mode.

My wife had a stroke about 6 years ago and is forgetful. She sets the timer a lot to remind her to do something and she like to talk to it. Im sure all that will wear off and I realize how simple we are. :D
Greg in Northern Minnesota

Bigwoods
500 Club

Postby CAJUN LADY » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:50 pm

jstrubberg wrote:One other thi;g to think about....there was recently a burglary where the burglar stood on the front porch yelling commands to Alexa until he found one they opened the smart lock on the front door. Be careful what you set up voice commands for.

Sounds kinda fishy. How did he know they had Alexa? Someone familiar with the house? I really don't think a burglar would be shouting commands at the front porch unless these people lived in the middle of nowhere with no neighbors.
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby Bigwoods » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:52 pm

After playing with Google for a couple months we really enjoy it. I say all kinds of silly things and it has silly answers like Google is cute or Google I like your house. Linda uses it a lot. Since her stroke she is curious and does not remember things. She saw Morgan Fairchild on TV and immediately she will ask Google how old she is and what she was in. I told her to ask What does the fox say and it did that song from a few years back.

The best is at bed time we ask of relaxation sound. Just like camping. We get crickets or snap and crackle of a fire. Linda says is just like sleeping in the tear but better cuz it is -20°outside. It is very relaxing. One time it was rain sound and then a crack of thunder. The dog head out and hid somewhere for a few hours. Its been fun. Always get the temp too. :thumbsup:
Greg in Northern Minnesota

Bigwoods
500 Club

Previous

Return to Off Topic