Lifetime Warranty on Husky (or Craftsman, etc.) Tools

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Lifetime Warranty on Husky (or Craftsman, etc.) Tools

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:11 pm

So I have a set of Husky screwdrivers with a #1 Phillips (#2 is the most common--this one is smaller) that sort of wore out. I was looking for a replacement, and noticed they have a "lifetime" warranty that appears to be similar to Craftsman's. (Prices are similar too. In this case the screwdriver in question is a penny apart.)

Does anyone have any experience with what these warranties cover? Is Husky's as good as Craftsman's? Can I replace the one screwdriver, or is it the whole set?

Of course, it would be wonderful to get a whole new set simply because the head of the weakest Phillips is stripped, but it sounds a bit too good to be true, so I suspect it is! (Or isn't--whichever conveys that I can't get a new set for free.)

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Re: Lifetime Warranty on Husky (or Craftsman, etc.) Tools

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:20 pm

Years ago I returned a Craftsman 6" adjustable wrench to a Sears store because it loosened up and wouldn't hold tight anymore.
I was given a new replacement.
To find a Sears store today might not be possible.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Sparksalot » Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:28 am

If it's like the old Craftsman, they would only replace the one damaged tool. New Craftsman, quien sabe?

I defaulted to Husky tools after it became ludicrous to shop at Sears. They always have been great for me, like Craftsman has. Over decades I'd only had 3 Craftsman tools fail, mainly because they were misused. Until the last few years, now I'm more selective what I'll buy.
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:33 am

When I was a youngster, one of my favorite things to look at on a rainy day was the Sears catalog. Everything was there. Tool section and guns, sure, but the bra section? You betcha.

Sears could have turned into the Amazon of this world, but no, they went more or less belly-up. :thumbdown:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby twisted lines » Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:05 pm

I have a few sets from Craftsman think I returned three pieces, the ladies at the local place knew I was a buyer :lol:
I returned a tiny broken electrical plyer, New guy started to go off about how people abuse them;
While I looked for the easiest path to get to him so we could finnish the discussion :twisted:
he was interrupted by one of the nice ladies, told him give me the new one,
Never did see him again :thumbdown:
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Tom&Shelly » Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:09 pm

tony.latham wrote:

When I was a youngster, one of my favorite things to look at on a rainy day was the Sears catalog. Everything was there. Tool section and guns, sure, but the bra section? You betcha.

Sears could have turned into the Amazon of this world, but no, they went more or less belly-up. :thumbdown:

Tony

Sears could've turned into the Playboy of this world, but they were intent on selling the clothing! :lol:

Come to think of it, maybe Playboy is now belly up... Different world!

I think I'll buy the Craftsman #1 x 3 inch Phillips screw driver from Amazon for $6.98. Won't quite match the handles on the Husky screw drivers, but so what? I may still take the Husky Phillips into a Home Depot just to see what they say. If I get an extra new tool (or set) out of it, so much the better.

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly

Postby Tom&Shelly » Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:15 pm

I was in a Home Depot yesterday looking for the replacement Husky Phillips head. (Before I remembered the "Lifetime Warranty") The web page said they had 4 of them in stock, but turns out there wasn't even a hook for that one. So when I go in to see about a trade, I evidently have to make sure I pick the right Home Depot!

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly

Postby dmb90260 » Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:41 am

As it was declining and in need of cash, Sears sold Craftsman to OSH, Orchard Supply, a great working man's hardware store in California. Then Lowe's bought OSH and tried to make it into a boutique hardware for the upscale customer. That failed and goodbye OSH. :cry: :shock: :? Some store must carry Craftsman but I have not found it yet. You can find them on-line but I bet the the nice lady is not there to help you. I still frown and mutter when I drive by the empty OSH store.
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Ottsville » Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:48 am

dmb90260 wrote:As it was declining and in need of cash, Sears sold Craftsman to OSH, Orchard Supply, a great working man's hardware store in California. Then Lowe's bought OSH and tried to make it into a boutique hardware for the upscale customer. That failed and goodbye OSH. :cry: :shock: :? Some store must carry Craftsman but I have not found it yet. You can find them on-line but I bet the the nice lady is not there to help you. I still frown and mutter when I drive by the empty OSH store.

Lowes carries Craftsman
https://www.lowes.com/pl/Craftsman--Mechanics-tool-sets-Tool-sets-Hand-tools-Tools/4294607611?refinement=3252463372&cm_mmc=src-_-c-_-prd-_-tol-_-ggl-_-B_TOL_218_Mechanics-Tools-_-lowes%20craftsman%20mechanics%20tool-_-0-_-0-_-0&ds_rl=1286981&gclid=CjwKCAiA9NGfBhBvEiwAq5vSy0Qj1EdO61_uu-igTNEmWhdsiOzQok11JbfG0ifKrMHNdSFFhF6n8BoCm3cQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Last edited by Ottsville on Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ottsville
The 300 Club

Postby Squigie » Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:37 am

Husky warranty is generally honored as a tool-for-tool replacement. If you take in a "set" with one broken tool, they'll pull the one tool from a new set and RMA the rest of it (or mark it down and put it on a clearance rack).

Kobalt (Lowe's) warranty depends on the store. Much of the time, the people at the service desk are not even aware of the warranty and have to call a manager to get approval. (I have never had a problem getting the warranty honored* - it just takes a manager to tell the service desk, "Yes, he's right. Exchange the tool.") After that, you might get the entire "set" replaced, or just a single piece.

I made the mistake of taking a broken (~2002) Craftsman ratchet in for warranty replacement at Lowe's about 4 years ago. I could have bought a repair kit online for about $10-15. Instead, I got a replacement off the shelf of my local Lowe's. It broke the first time I put torque on it. I have since replaced that ratchet, by exchanging in-store under warranty, four more times. The latest replacement sits on top of one of my rolling toolboxes, hang-tag still in attached, because I can't be bothered to break that one instantly, like the rest of them. Next to it, are two Kobalt ratchets of the same design; also broken and useless.
They are far from what they used to be. I want my old, broken ratchet back. It could be repaired. The new versions cannot - their cover plates are crimped in place - and they don't last longer than a trip out the door.

*I haven't had a problem getting the warranty honored if the tool is in stock.
With those ratchets are three Kobalt and Craftsman 10mm sockets. All broken in the same way (cracked) and never to be replaced, because my local Lowe's has not had any of them in stock since 2018. They have a space for each of them. They have price tags. They appear to be a stocked item, based on the indicators.
I end up in Lowe's about once a week; much more often if I have an active large project. I check for those sockets *every* time I am in the store. I also occasionally check inventory online. They have not had one of those sockets in stock, except in sets, since 2018. I have not, as yet, been able to convince them to RMA a set to replace a single socket. The closest I got was a manager telling me to bring in a complete set, and he would exchange the whole set. But I bought the sockets singly. I don't have a set to bring in.
Squigie
The 300 Club

Postby Tom&Shelly » Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:01 am

<snip>

Tom
Last edited by Tom&Shelly on Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly

Postby Squigie » Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:04 pm

Why do you waste your time responding to them?
They don't come back.
It is a one-and-done visit.
They know they will be banned and don't bother trying to come back.
Squigie
The 300 Club

Postby Tom&Shelly » Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:12 pm

Squigie wrote:Why do you waste your time responding to them?
They don't come back.
It is a one-and-done visit.
They know they will be banned and don't bother trying to come back.

It's childish, I know. But it relieves some frustration, and sometimes it's an attempt at humor. :shrug:

Edit: As a matter of fact, that guy did post four spams before he was flagged and removed.

Tom
Last edited by Tom&Shelly on Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly

Postby bdosborn » Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:25 pm

2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby philpom » Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:30 pm

They are all about the same now - Craftsman are now sold by Lowes, they will honor the warranty on any Craftsman hand tool you own regardless of where/when /how you got it. Single tool for single tool. They are no longer made in the U.S.A. - Chinese made with a label on it. That's what Husky is. Just buy the brand that is sold in the store closest to you. I have good luck with Harbor Freight wrenches etc too. Also made in China, wouldn't shock me to know they are all made by the same few manufacturers in China. If you want real quality flag down a Snap-On truck.
philpom
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Off Topic