April 8th total eclipse of the sun

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Re: April 8th total eclipse of the sun

Postby working on it » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:41 pm

My house was in the path of totality, but there was about 90% cloud cover, giving me problems while watching the eclipse. Since my wife was attending a band concert/eclipse party about 45 miles to the SE (she has personal friends in the band, but I stayed home with the pets), when noon approached, I reached for the box that the shade #14 solar glasses were in (we ordered two pairs), and found that she took the box without leaving me my pair. Fortunately, a couple of weeks prior, I cleaned and tested my auto-darkening welding helmet (shades #8-13), that I'd used in an earlier partial eclipse years before. So, I used my helmet on April 8.

Problem: the 90% cloud cover (and the expansive Oak tree-leafed canopy covering my whole property) sometimes made the auto-darkened helmet switch off, allowing full sun. I played around with it, and found a way to have my eyes focused just below the eyeplate, so I'd be able to see when the helmet was fully darkened. And, for the height of the event, the cloud cover got a bit thinner, and I was able to observe without going blind.

The super dark shade #14 glasses are the ones recommended by most authorities, though they are too dark for much else. My helmet would darken to shade #13, which will protect eyes from the sun, but not as well for long periods. Any shade lower isn't recommended, per what I've read. But, I'll not advise using an auto-darkening helmet if there are clouds making the helmet have inconsistent protection! Maybe, before the next one over the continental US, excluding Alaska, in 2045 (I think), I'll get a better full-time darkened helmet, first. But, as I'll be 95 then. knock on wood, it's not of great concern to me.

Here's the photos I took (in between tripping over things in the darkened yard):
start of totality & just after.jpg
really gets dark: solar-powered yard lights & headlights of neighbors car acroos the street, plus my best view
start of totality & just after.jpg (153.77 KiB) Viewed 122 times
crescent shadows & frozen chickens.jpg
weird crescent-shaped shadows, and 3 of 4 chickens frozen for minutes (#4 went to roost in the henhouse)
crescent shadows & frozen chickens.jpg (292.1 KiB) Viewed 122 times
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Re: April 8th total eclipse of the sun

Postby rjgimp » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:39 pm

Tom&Shelly wrote:Next ones in North America are in 2044 and 2045, and living that long with full faculties is a worthy goal for me: I'll be 82/83.

Tom

I'll be a youngster of 75 for the Alberta 2044 eclipse. I'd be happy to road trip up there with you. :thumbsup:
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Previous

Return to Off Topic