EARTHING ?

Anything electric, AC or DC

EARTHING ?

Postby felixx » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:13 am

OK So I am a noob. No point pretending different

I am doing a 12v LED and USB Plug install (solar to come as I get $)

SO my questions are:
I will have 3 LED circuits and one USB plug in the cabin and 2 LED corcuits and 1 USB plug in the galley

Do I run my wires off both terminals of my battery
(I have a fuse block with an individual 7.5A fuse per circuit)
Or do I run the (-) terminal to my chassis and my wires to earth on the chassis too?

This may cause issues as I intend to make my tear removable

there will never ever be 240VAC (what we use here) connected to the teardrop

thank you
felixx
Donating Member

Re: EARTHING ?

Postby bobhenry » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:10 am

Do yourself a favor and do NOT rely on the frame to return the ground (earth). Run dedicated lines to all loads. A simple plug in of some type is in order if you wish to remove the body from the frame.

Just my opinion !
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:12 am

There is really no reason to ground to the frame and a number of reasons not to. In most cases there will be a dissimilar metals i.e. copper to steel connection that is asking for galvanic action, and yes there are ways to prevent that. Our trailer has nothing grounded to the frame.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby H.A. » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:02 am

Fwiw.
In general I utilise earthing as a negative conductor. (I always have a chassis connected to negative regardless.)
But maybe not, Depends on the appliance & how its best connected to its negative. Obviously earthing wont work where mountings are non-conductive or not continuous.
Just follow good mechanical practice making electrical connections.
H.A.
The 300 Club

Postby Dale M. » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:45 am

The is nothing wrong with using chassis/frame for earthing (grounding)... However for simplicity it may be easier to run both negative (earth) and positive (power) lead directly from fuse panel to LED lamp or USB "port" or any other 12 volt sd device.... Its really personal preference.... Although in some cases it may be more difficult to have decent "earth" (ground ) on chassis if its a bolt together frame that is painted before assembly and other reasons as loose bolts and old age and corrosion...

My chassis on all my trailers are always grounded (earthed) to on board battery and also when connected to tow vehicle ( I also use charge while towing) ....

The key to all this is making good "fault free" connections and using a corrosion preventive grease at ever crimp or bolt/screw connection....

I support using a fuse pane that also provides a "connection" or grounding or return path (not necessarily this brand below but this type concept)

Note it has 12 fuse positions (ACT Type) and 12 "ground" positions..

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Return to Electrical Secrets