Can this kill me? (or do significant damage)

Anything electric, AC or DC

Can this kill me? (or do significant damage)

Postby TimC » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:52 pm

I have this shower set up that I'm wondering if it could possibly hurt me or someone. It's a simple set up. A bucket with a small 12v pump, hose and shower head. The power is wired through a supposedly waterproof foot switch. I have my doubts about the waterproof part. I have used this several times with no problem, however, I'm thinking maybe my luck may run out. Anyone use a switch like that below? Do you use it as a foot switch or hanging on the wall? As I use it the switch sits on a shower pallet out of the stream of water and well above any puddle. It does get wet, obviously.

Image
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Teardrop Build Thread - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop Build Thread - Started August '16 - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
User avatar
TimC
Gold Donating Member
 
Posts: 405
Images: 228
Joined: Sat May 23, 2015 4:15 am

Re: Can this kill me? (or do significant damage)

Postby tony.latham » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:56 pm

User avatar
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member
 
Posts: 3844
Images: 17
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:03 pm
Location: Middle of Idaho on the edge of nowhere

Re: Can this kill me? (or do significant damage)

Postby TimC » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:40 pm

Haha. I've seen a similar video. But, does that count when I'm naked as a jaybird, soaking wet standing on wet ground and 12v at whatever amps goes through me to ground?
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Teardrop Build Thread - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop Build Thread - Started August '16 - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
User avatar
TimC
Gold Donating Member
 
Posts: 405
Images: 228
Joined: Sat May 23, 2015 4:15 am
Top

Re: Can this kill me? (or do significant damage)

Postby tony.latham » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:32 pm

TimC wrote:Haha. I've seen a similar video. But, does that count when I'm naked as a jaybird, soaking wet standing on wet ground and 12v at whatever amps goes through me to ground?


Sounds horrible.

I'd order your last meal just in case. Just in case the governor doesn't give you the last-minute reprieve. Me? If I was scheduled to ride the wire at midnight, I'd go for a double order of biscuits and gravy. No reason to eat healthy at that point, eh?

It'll send a shiver up your spine. Enjoy the ride. :shock:

Tony
User avatar
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member
 
Posts: 3844
Images: 17
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:03 pm
Location: Middle of Idaho on the edge of nowhere
Top

Re: Can this kill me? (or do significant damage)

Postby KTM_Guy » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:07 pm

There are better ways to do it. Best would be a pressure switch and then turn the water off, in turn the pump turns off.

Did you wirer the switch? My guess is the one leg of the zip cord (the positive) is cut and wired to a single pole single throw switch and the other leg just passes through the switch body with no cuts. So even if water got into the switch it can't complete the circuit.

I wouldn't worry about it. Any ways there isn't enough amps even if you became part of the circuit. What is the worst that could happen? You give your fellow campers a great story to tell about the naked guy running around the camp ground because he got a shock. I don't see the down side.

Todd
User avatar
KTM_Guy
500 Club
 
Posts: 544
Images: 193
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:50 am
Location: Mesa, AZ near Usery
Top

Re: Can this kill me? (or do significant damage)

Postby TimC » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:36 am

:lol:

Maybe I'll find n electrical engineer to test this out. There's some reason they sell these switches for use in a wet environment...
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Teardrop Build Thread - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop Build Thread - Started August '16 - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
User avatar
TimC
Gold Donating Member
 
Posts: 405
Images: 228
Joined: Sat May 23, 2015 4:15 am
Top

Re: Can this kill me? (or do significant damage)

Postby fishboat » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:01 pm

Google is your friend..there's minimal danger, however wet skin and dry skin are very different in terms of resistance. Take a 9v battery and touch both poles with your finger. Now take a 9v battery and touch both poles with your tongue. Notice any difference?
fishboat
Teardrop Advisor
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:47 pm
Top

Re: Can this kill me? (or do significant damage)

Postby H.A. » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:03 pm

Firstly, Twelve volts is too low to overcome resistance of skin.
Wet soapy skin. You might feel a tiny tingle if electrical conditions of touching are absolutely perfect.
Your biggest concern will be corrosion within if that switch is not waterproof.
If you are freaked out over it, consider using a pneumatic hot tub switch.
Those are quite handy switch. Its on-off button is simply a air bellows what connects via tiny hose to the switch. Switch itself is located in a dry protected area.
TimC wrote:I have this shower set up that I'm wondering if it could possibly hurt me or someone. It's a simple set up. A bucket with a small 12v pump, hose and shower head. The power is wired through a supposedly waterproof foot switch. I have my doubts about the waterproof part. I have used this several times with no problem, however, I'm thinking maybe my luck may run out. Anyone use a switch like that below? Do you use it as a foot switch or hanging on the wall? As I use it the switch sits on a shower pallet out of the stream of water and well above any puddle. It does get wet, obviously.

Image
H.A.
The 300 Club
 
Posts: 445
Images: 0
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:16 pm
Top

Re: Can this kill me? (or do significant damage)

Postby GTS225 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:28 pm

Or use a float switch for a submersible sump pump. Let it dangle down for on, and hang it upside down for off.

Roger
GTS225
Teardrop Master
 
Posts: 143
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:11 am
Location: Waterloo, Iowa
Top

Re: Can this kill me? (or do significant damage)

Postby TimC » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:05 pm

GTS225 wrote:Or use a float switch for a submersible sump pump. Let it dangle down for on, and hang it upside down for off.

Roger


Brilliant!
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Teardrop Build Thread - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop Build Thread - Started August '16 - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
User avatar
TimC
Gold Donating Member
 
Posts: 405
Images: 228
Joined: Sat May 23, 2015 4:15 am
Top

Re: Can this kill me? (or do significant damage)

Postby Staryder61 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:48 am

Maybe check out the below link if concerned about 12 v, water and electrocution ::

https://www.recorbatteries.gr/en/can-a-car-battery-electrocute-you/

It's one write up about it.. :thinking: There are several..
David

"A Great Mind is like a Parachute, it works best when it is open.."

"Our build Journal.." http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=69528

staryder61@gmail.com
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member
 
Posts: 427
Images: 320
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:11 pm
Location: Big Ole Texas
Top

Re: Can this kill me? (or do significant damage)

Postby GTS225 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:35 am

TimC wrote:Brilliant!

****************************************************

Thanks.....Every once in a while, I can still surprise folks. :D

Roger
GTS225
Teardrop Master
 
Posts: 143
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:11 am
Location: Waterloo, Iowa
Top

Re: Can this kill me? (or do significant damage)

Postby TimC » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:10 am

Staryder61 wrote:Maybe check out the below link if concerned about 12 v, water and electrocution ::

https://www.recorbatteries.gr/en/can-a-car-battery-electrocute-you/

It's one write up about it.. :thinking: There are several..


I'm still curious. None of these articles address the standing barefoot on the ground and having 12v travel through your body situation. Maybe cause it's so completely crazy no one would try it. Um, well, yup, no-one...! :shock:

Tim
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Teardrop Build Thread - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop Build Thread - Started August '16 - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
User avatar
TimC
Gold Donating Member
 
Posts: 405
Images: 228
Joined: Sat May 23, 2015 4:15 am
Top

Re: Can this kill me? (or do significant damage)

Postby GuitarPhotog » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:07 pm

TimC wrote:
Staryder61 wrote:Maybe check out the below link if concerned about 12 v, water and electrocution ::

https://www.recorbatteries.gr/en/can-a-car-battery-electrocute-you/

It's one write up about it.. :thinking: There are several..


I'm still curious. None of these articles address the standing barefoot on the ground and having 12v travel through your body situation. Maybe cause it's so completely crazy no one would try it. Um, well, yup, no-one...! :shock:

Tim


Your body resistance is still too high to allow enough current to flow to hurt you. Since the negative pole of the battery is not grounded, there isn't any current path back to the battery so even less current will flow. Standing barefoot on the wet ground and touching the + pole of the 12V battery will cause even less current to flow than by touching both battery terminals.

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member
 
Posts: 1746
Images: 55
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:52 pm
Location: Grants Pass Oregon
Top


Return to Electrical Secrets

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests