Enclosed Trailer Grounding options

Anything electric, AC or DC

Enclosed Trailer Grounding options

Postby Tas » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:01 pm

I hope a quick and easy question....I purchased an aluminum trailer with factory installed shore power for 110v and obvious 12v power supply from TV. I'm tying into the 12v system with a 12v battery.

The one on/off switch for the LED's seems to be grounded to the trailer via back into the main wiring harness.

My question is they grounded the 2 ceiling LED lights (only powered via TV) to the aluminum frame. Would it be better to ground to a fused bus bar or to the frame?

I'm thinking about getting a 6 way fuse box and if it necessary or advised.https://www.amazon.com/Terminal-Negativ ... 83&sr=8-15
Tas
Teardrop Builder

Re: Enclosed Trailer Grounding options

Postby saltydawg » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:50 pm

Yes I would go back to a ground bar for all wiring, but you should run a wire to the frame as well.

Most of the fuse panels can be had with a built in ground bar. You need to make sure you disconnect the old tv power feed to the trailer so you dont have your new battery tied to the tv power.
Scott
Lost in Maryland
2021 just said to 2020, hold my beer and watch this.
saltydawg
500 Club

Postby Tas » Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:02 pm

Thanks Salty!

And that answers and raises another question....electrical back feed.

I also wired in a 110v to 12v converter into those same 12v LED's. I have a switch that separates the converter into the same TV and 12v battery wiring loom. I've tested this all out and everything seems to work fine. I just need to make sure the TV is unplugged and the 110v converter is either off or unplugged, correct?
Tas
Teardrop Builder

Postby lfhoward » Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:16 pm

saltydawg wrote:Most of the fuse panels can be had with a built in ground bar. You need to make sure you disconnect the old tv power feed to the trailer so you dont have your new battery tied to the tv power.

@Saltydawg, can you elaborate on that idea for a second? What happens if:
The trailer’s lighting (brakes, turn signals, etc.) use the frame as a ground AND the trailer’s house battery and all the electronics (led lighting, power outlets, fan, inverter) are grounded to the frame at the same time?

Should the trailer’s house battery be disconnected while towing, or does it not matter?
My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby saltydawg » Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:58 pm

lfhoward wrote:
The trailer’s lighting (brakes, turn signals, etc.) use the frame as a ground AND the trailer’s house battery and all the electronics (led lighting, power outlets, fan, inverter) are grounded to the frame at the same time?

Should the trailer’s house battery be disconnected while towing, or does it not matter?

No need to do that they can share a ground, you just dont want them sharing a hot.

In his trailer the inside lights are feed from the tv ( I think thats what he meant ) and he needs to relocate the feeds for those to his battery in the trailer. He can do it as simple as disconnecting the power wire coming from his trailer to tv cable and running that to his fuse box
Scott
Lost in Maryland
saltydawg
500 Club

lfhoward wrote:

No need to do that they can share a ground, you just dont want them sharing a hot.

In his trailer the inside lights are feed from the tv ( I think thats what he meant ) and he needs to relocate the feeds for those to his battery in the trailer. He can do it as simple as disconnecting the power wire coming from his trailer to tv cable and running that to his fuse box
Scott
Lost in Maryland
saltydawg
500 Club

rapid fire posts, dont call the atf
Scott
Lost in Maryland
saltydawg
500 Club

Postby saltydawg » Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:03 pm

Tas wrote:Thanks Salty!

I also wired in a 110v to 12v converter into those same 12v LED's. I have a switch that separates the converter into the same TV and 12v battery wiring loom. I've tested this all out and everything seems to work fine. I just need to make sure the TV is unplugged and the 110v converter is either off or unplugged, correct?

Simple answer is yes. The real answer is to just disconnect the power wire from the tv. It will only take one time of forgetting to kill your batteries. I would not be surprised if there is a parasitic drain back thru the converter when plugged in to the tv but not 110 volts. Put a battery in the trailer ( I think you did already ) and just hook stuff up to it. Let the tv run the driving lights on the trailer only, the trailer battery for power and lights in the trailer.
Scott
Lost in Maryland
saltydawg
500 Club

Postby Tas » Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:23 pm

saltydawg wrote:
Tas wrote:Thanks Salty!

Simple answer is yes. The real answer is to just disconnect the power wire from the tv. It will only take one time of forgetting to kill your batteries. I would not be surprised if there is a parasitic drain back thru the converter when plugged in to the tv but not 110 volts. Put a battery in the trailer ( I think you did already ) and just hook stuff up to it. Let the tv run the driving lights on the trailer only, the trailer battery for power and lights in the trailer.

Yes, TV, is my tow vehicle....trying to get the lingo down.

Yes I would disconnect the trailer plug from the tv whenever I use either 110v or 12v power sources. I would also never use both 110v or 12v at the same time.

Thanks for the feedback and added questions that I would not necessarily know to ask.
Tas
Teardrop Builder

Return to Electrical Secrets