Charging ideas for 12V from multiple sources.

Anything electric, AC or DC

Charging ideas for 12V from multiple sources.

Postby dbhosttexas » Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:30 pm

I am needing to decide on the electrical system for my foamie truck camper build, and I need some help figuring out how to make it all happy.

I have a single Group27 deep cycle battery, and plan on powering interior lights, a CPAP, and maybe at some point in the future a 12V fridge, most likely an Iceco JP50, but not for a while...

I want to be able to charge from solar panels, truck alternator, and / or my Sportsman 1000 generator.

The Sportsman is planned to provide power into the camper via a NOCO pass through with a Y adapter, allowing 1 110v line to the AC, and the other to some sort of charger for the battery....

Until such time as I figure this out, I am simply running my B&D Smart charger off of the generator to recharge the battery...

What do I need to make this all work, and what, for example, will I need air space wise?
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Re: Charging ideas for 12V from multiple sources.

Postby Socal Tom » Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:48 pm

I can charge from the TV, solar or my convertor. The solar panels feed the solar controller. The solar controller won't send solar power to the battery if its above 14 volts, and it blocks any 12v power from feeding the panels. The convertor runs to the battery through its designated connectors. The TV runs to the battery. Its never plugged into power when its hooked to the TV, but if it is, it just tries to charge the TV.
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:57 pm

We use TV directly (no dc-dc converter), shore power converter, or solar--with a PWM controller. The converter has a fan, so I built it with an air passage, but I'm not sure the fan has ever run.

We have a Group 27 AGM battery and I will be interested in seeing how much life we get out of it. When it's back in it's home shed, we maintain it using a solar panel and the PWM controller does have an AGM maintenance routine. Up here in New York, we maintain it on shore power, and the converter also allegedly has an AGM/lead acid maintenance mode. When its on the road, the TV does what it does--basically the two batteries are in parallel. (The TV can charge the AGM battery to 100% according to our Ali coulomb meter, which some have suggested couldn't be done.) We also have a folding solar panel that we also can connect through the PWM controller, though here in the Northeast, finding times with enough sunlight can be a challenge, especially when leaving the camp for the day.

I don't think we are particularly abusing the battery, but time will tell.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby troubleScottie » Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:46 pm

Basically you need a good solar controller with 2 inputs. One input would be the solar panels. The other from your vehicle. Something like the Redarc BCDC1240D Dual Input 40A In-vehicle DC Battery Charger. Obviously there are other brands.

From your tow vehicle: pos terminal - appropriate fuse + isolation switch + long run of appropriate diameter wire + coupler (anderson connector) at bumper + coupler + wire + charge controller in TD (and ground wire). Do not use the power wire on your trailer 7 pin connector as it cannot really stand 40 amp power draw for charging.

Obviously, you do not want to do solar and alternator at the same time.

LEDs and small electronics are generally not a big draw. CPAP machines power draw varies quite a bit. The newer ones are smaller and more efficient. The portable ones are still better. Your typical big draw devices are things like a fan or a frig/freezer with reasonable draws and long duty cycles or anything with a heating element eg heater, electric blanket, coffee pot.

You want/need a AC charger for your generator and charging while at home or using shore power. A permanent connection of the charger to the battery saves a lot of time. You might want to look at how to wire a connector through the TD wall to the charger. Through wall connections are quicker/easier to use. You might want to include a surge protector or similar device to avert issues with camp power which often poor quality. Most home power or generator power is clean, so not required.

You want to add some sort of power monitor. Just hoping is pretty sketchy. Victron Energy is the premium solution. There are cheaper ones that work well. Check this site.
Michael Krolewski
Scottish Terrier Fancier
troubleScottie
Donating Member

Postby saltydawg » Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:51 pm

As trouble scottie said there are dual input chargers, renogy makes one too. It will do mppt solar and dc to dc charger. You can use really any supply to the vehicle side, be it the tow vehicle or a power supply feed from 120 volts.
Scott
Lost in Maryland
2021 just said to 2020, hold my beer and watch this.
saltydawg
500 Club

Postby DWT77 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:23 am

I have the CTEKD250SE but it looks like they have really gone up in price since I got mine

https://smartercharger.com/collections/on-board/?i=1
DWT77
The 300 Club

Return to Electrical Secrets