Battery Question

Anything electric, AC or DC

Battery Question

Postby Classic Finn » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:54 pm

The Marine folks here have been trying to talk me into trying out the
Optima Batteries. Have anyone tried this or used it?

It has very high ratings here and has been a topline brand...How many amp do you suggest?

Is it totally maintenance free? I do want a good battery ...

This is the Charger that we have..

Classic Finn
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby Sierrajack » Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:08 pm

Heikki,

The Optima is an excellent battery!! I would recommend the Blue Top.
Here's how to charge an Optima:
1. Charge @ 100 amps for 15 minutes.
2. Let battery and chaarger cool for 15 minutes.
3. Repeat Step #1 at least 4 more times allowing the 15 minute cooling in between chargings.
4. Charge 2-10 amps for at least 24 hours.

Hope this helps, good luck.
Sierrajack
The 300 Club

Postby sdtripper2 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:09 pm

Hello, Buddy:

Optima Batterie$:

Here is the one post on these batteries from the past for some information for you:
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=7756
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country
is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards." -------Theodore Roosevelt

Steve
sdtripper2
Search Garoux

Postby Sierrajack » Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:29 pm

Heikki,
I just wanted to add some more info to your battery question. The Optima will generally outlast a regular lead-acid batteries 3 times. However, this all comes at a cost. Obviously the Optima will cost you much more than a standard battery. Do not use your vehicle to charge this battery unless it has an alternator that puts out 100 amps or you will ruin your alternator. While the Optima is top-of-the-line, you may want to consider alternative deep cycle batteries for cost savings. Obviously, as you know, the battery must always be kept charged or it will freeze - not that it ever get cold in Finnland. I take my RV battery out and store it where it's warm and charge it once a month and never have a problem.
Sierrajack
The 300 Club

Postby asianflava » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:53 pm

I have a blue top Optima. I chose it because they don't outgas as much as regular batteries.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:34 am

Hmmm...
For the longest time, all Costco had here, were the blue tops.
I think it was Kai who told me to go with a yellow top...
Last summer they had both, so I bought a yellow.
Now you guys are saying blue. :?
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby doug hodder » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:49 am

Send it to me Dean...go get a blue top!!! I'm dragging around an old Interstate that jumps between tears and boats....Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby madjack » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:43 am

..red top Optimas are considered starter batteries, the yellow are considered deep cycle and the blues are deep cycle/starter combo batteries...the Optimas, can be placed in almost any position, are basically spill proof and will only outgass under extreme charging conditions...they also store better/longer than conventional lead acid batteries. However, there is a premium to be paid for that performance...you can buy 2r3 regular batteries for the price of an Optima...just depends on the ol' budget...
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby toypusher » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:24 am

madjack wrote:..red top Optimas are considered starter batteries, the yellow are considered deep cycle and the blues are deep cycle/starter combo batteries...the Optimas, can be placed in almost any position, are basically spill proof and will only outgass under extreme charging conditions...they also store better/longer than conventional lead acid batteries. However, there is a premium to be paid for that performance...you can buy 2r3 regular batteries for the price of an Optima...just depends on the ol' budget...
madjack 8)

That's mostly why I got the yellow top Optima. 51R I think.
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby madjack » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:33 am

Kerry, the 51R is the "small" battery...how dooya like it...here's a link to lottsa info about Optimas(pretty good prices as well)
http://www.1st-optima-batteries.com/
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby PaulC » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:34 am

Just to throw the cat amongst the i'm using a AGM Battery this time. The main reason being that they are sealed, have minimum gassing and they last longer than standard deep cycle batteries.
Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby Classic Finn » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:03 am

I came across this battery and I can get it on sale...this one in the photo is 75Ah though.. The one I was thinking of is 115 Ah ..Which would you recommend?

Maybe I should tell you what I have so I can get a good reply:

Ok

Fan tastic fan at 12v.
Led interior lights - 2 at 12v
Under the Hatch - 12 volt light.
Small 8 inch. Tv.
Stereo (Auto)

Then in the Galley is the Isotherm TB 32 Cooler - Power
Consumption (Amp)
Average/Max (12 V) 0.7/4.0

So that will be the things that I have.. And most likely nothing more that will really need electricity. This summer anyway.. :D

Also what inverter brand do you folks use or recommend? and how big? Same with converter.. Our electrical here is 220-230 at 50 cycles when you iun the States have 110 -120 at 60cycles..for normal current.

The local Marine Shop handles Pure Watts Inverters here...

Is this big enough for our purpose? Since I know nothing about these things ...have to admit..

Classic Finn
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby bledsoe3 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:36 am

If you have the room, go with the big one.
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby toypusher » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:42 pm

madjack wrote:Kerry, the 51R is the "small" battery...how dooya like it...here's a link to lottsa info about Optimas(pretty good prices as well)
http://www.1st-optima-batteries.com/
madjack 8)

I love it. I have never run it down, even after 4 days of camping. It also sat all winter (3 months) in the cold (down to around 8 a couple of times) and still had juice. I thing it was down about 50% or so after sitting in the cold for 3 Months and the lights being turned on about 5 or 6 times to show someone the tear.

Our first trip out was about 98 degrees and 95% humidity. We ran the Fantastic fan for about 12 Hrs the first night and 9 or 10 the second night, plus used the lights for a total of about 8 hrs to do some reading and such. When I got home and went to charge it, it was only down about 30% (still had 70% charge). I also like the fact that it has practically no off gassing because it is in the lower cabinet of my galley. Also don't have to worry about it leaking if it comes loose from it's moorings.
toypusher
Site Admin

Return to Electrical Secrets