Son, You Need Protection

Anything electric, AC or DC

Son, You Need Protection

Postby Sierrajack » Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:56 am

I know this has probably been asked before and I have searched but can't quite come up with a good answer.
My 110 volt circuit will have one GFCI in the galley and a power strip with circuit breaker in the cabin. Is it necessary to also have a seperate circuit breaker panel?
Our local "big box" store has circuit breaker panels about the size of a shoe box, can anyone suggest something more compact to fit within the confines of a TD?
I would like to have circuit protection with the GFCI and power strip just to be on the safe side.
Sierrajack
The 300 Club

Re: Son, You Need Protection

Postby Steve_Cox » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:54 am

Sierrajack wrote:I know this has probably been asked before and I have searched but can't quite come up with a good answer.
My 110 volt circuit will have one GFCI in the galley and a power strip with circuit breaker in the cabin. Is it necessary to also have a seperate circuit breaker panel?
Our local "big box" store has circuit breaker panels about the size of a shoe box, can anyone suggest something more compact to fit within the confines of a TD?
I would like to have circuit protection with the GFCI and power strip just to be on the safe side.

$88 (Ain't cheap)Click Here Surface mount and reverse polarity safety light/trip
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby madjack » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:01 am

SJ...goto www.waytekwire.com and look for "circuit breakers>>>panel mount"...they have some VERY nifty pushbutton circuit breakers from 10 to 40 amps...about the size of a paper matchbook for under 3 bucks apiece...we used 'em and were very satisfied...we made a panel to mount them out of some scrap formica that we painted black...
madjack 8)

...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Endo » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:54 am

I used this:

Description:

GFCI Protected Quad (4) Outlet Box

UL, CUL Listed
125V / 15 A
Right Angle GFCI Plug
Power On LED
(4) NEMA 5-15 R Outlets
Separate Covers for Each Outlet
6 Ft.,12/3 Awg SJTW Cord15 Amp Circuit Breaker

It is a GFCI, circuit breaker and quad outlet in one nice little package. I know Mike and others have used something similar. Available at Lowes.
Brad (aka Endo)
ImageImage Image
In God We Trust
Endo
500 Club

Re: Son, You Need Protection

Postby Miriam C. » Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:28 am

Sierrajack wrote:I know this has probably been asked before and I have searched but can't quite come up with a good answer.

Your circuit breaker needs to be in front of your GFCI for it to be protected. Your incoming line can be the breaker/GFCI power strip and everything plugged into it will be protected.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Sierrajack » Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:22 pm

Thanks everyone, I appreciate you!!

Madjack - Those panel mount CBs are exactly what I've been looking for.
I'll order a couple tomorrow when Wayteks website is up, apparently they have some problems today.

Endo - No Lowes here, Menards has a monopoly.

Miriam - yep, the first thing the incoming power touches is the circuit breaker.
Sierrajack
The 300 Club

Postby madjack » Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:51 pm

Waytek has been physically moving locations and there site has been temporarily down while the move is completed.....
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Return to Electrical Secrets