Europe: The light bulb is dead; long live the LED

Anything electric, AC or DC

Postby Elumia » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:52 pm

Compact fluorescents use mercury vapor to create a UV light. Phosphor coatings on the inside of the bulb turn the UV into visible light. This is why Fluorescent lights fade fabrics. ( I bet in 10 years time concerned scientists will be telling us to apply suncreen indoors!) Also, the quality of light color is dependent on the types of coatings that give off light in the various Red Green and blue spectrum. Some render colors pretty good, others not so good. CFL's take time to "warm up" before they achive full brightness. I've found that in some applications, I shut the light off before it even gets warmed up.

While CFL's use less energy while burning, they also create more waste than an incandescent in terms of manufacturing and disposal. It would be interesting to see what the true impact is, I have yet to see anywhere that seems to take all this into consideration, From the cost of resources, transportation, manufacturing and proper disposal. Most consumers will not properly dispose of their spent CFL bulbs. The rare earth phosphors needed to coat the insides of the tubes require a very large amount of materials mined to get small amounts. CFL's electronic ballasts contribute to the growing ewaste problems.

A simple idea for a lot of buildings are solar light tubes to bring in natural light, this is the ultimate low cost green solution. We would all be better served in turning off as many lights as possible, using lower wattage bulbs - especially in outdoor night time applications, a 25 watt bulb gives plenty of light to find your way to the door so you can put in your key.

The classic Edison bulb has very simple materials very simply made. I'm all for choice. In the winter, when you are heating the house anyway, who cares if they give off heat? For task lighting, I prefer a Halogen desk lamp or puck light. 20 watts well directed is incredibly bright.

In California it has been legislated that general lighting in kitchens and baths have to be fluorescent for many years. Most people buy a cheap fixture to get the permit closed then buy a replacement incandescent fixture and throw the other one away - what does that solve?

Mark
Elumia
500 Club

Postby fornesto » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:25 am

We use 100% compact flourescents in our house. I don't have to worry about yelling at everyone to turn the lights off in their room as my father did. I do notice a difference in the light quality, but not enough to change anything. I use 1 conventional bulb at my study desk because I once heard that flourescents cycle very quickly and can tire the eye over time. There is already an effort (very small) in California to prohibit conventional bulbs. On a side note, my mother-in-law designs homes for very wealthy clients. She is astonished at the trend of overlighting everything - a single kitchen with 14 recessed can lights! I guess shadows are out of style.
fornesto
Donating Member

Postby Joseph » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:35 am

bobhenry wrote:Won't the winters be colder if we all turn off our incandesent lights ?

No - global warming will take care of this. :lol:

Seriously, in my reading lamps I'm using 100W flourescent bulbs where I used to use 60W. Almost double the lumens for a quarter of the power usage? OH yeah!! :thumbsup: And everywhere else I'm replacing the 60W incandescents as they burn out with the 60W flourescents. I only have a couple left and may just toss 'em.

I don't think it's going to matter one hair on a gnat's butt as far as any kind of environmental impact goes, but I'm all for saving money!

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby Elumia » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:49 am

100W will use MORE power than 60W, ya can't change the rules of physics
Elumia
500 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:17 am

Elumia wrote:100W will use MORE power than 60W, ya can't change the rules of physics

Yeah but they last longer doing it and you don't have to heat up the planet making more light bulbs.ImagePoor lil guy, he's an endangered species now.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Podunkfla » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:38 am

100W will use MORE power than 60W, ya can't change the rules of physics

Well, they are not really "100 watts" ... they use about 25 watts. They are just compairing the light output to a 100 watt bulb.

I like 'em... been using them about 4 years. I got a gaggle of them cheap at walmart a while back 4 for $4.97... I bought 10 packs. ;)

more info I found:
http://members.misty.com/don/cf.html
<B>~ Brick
<I>... I've done so much with so little for so long... Now I can do almost anything with nothing! </I></B>
Image...Lots more pix here!
Podunkfla
ol' noodle haid

Postby IndyTom » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:18 am

If anyone has a Menard's nearby, I buy cf's there in packs of 10 for $9.95. I am saving about $20/month off my electric bill.

I have them in every socket in the house and have gotten my money back several times already.

Tom
Never trust a skinny cook

My build thread:http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36226

IndyTom
500 Club

Postby bobhenry » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:53 am

IndyTom wrote:We went all fluorescent about a year ago. There are only 2 or 3 incandescent bulbs left in places where I can't get a CF to fit the fixture. I believe that our bill has dropped about $20 a month on average. And you hardly ever have to replace one. :thumbsup:

Tom

" First they turn their backs on my light bulb , the next thing you know they'll be replacing my phonograph " : Thomas A. Edison
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Previous

Return to Electrical Secrets