Computer UPS for an inverter/charger/12V supply

Anything electric, AC or DC

Postby GeorgeTelford » Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:43 am

Hi BG

Some good points.

12v Things hmmm things that are designed to be mobile 12v are very expensive (that is opposed to items that have a 12v Power supply, which are a different ketle of fish entirely)

I wanted a Large compressor fridge in my motorhome, 12v Battery version cost £1275 a standard mains one only costs £150, big difference.

12v 17" flatscreen TV designed to work on Battery £575, Mains version £189

Its the same with all items designed to work from 12v Battery.
GeorgeTelford
500 Club

Postby bg » Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:35 pm

Good point George.

I was writing for the perspective of someone that plans to use a 24AH 12V Gel-Cell, and no shore power other than charging.
Bobby(, Kim & Wayne)
bg
500 Club

Postby Chuck Craven » Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:53 pm

Yes most appliances that are designed for 12v eater have the power inverters built in or like refrigerators are designed for 120vac, 12vdc and LP gas. Over seas it would be 220vac, 12 or some times 24vdc and LP gas. The first over charge is, it’s for a camper or a boat. Then the engineering charges as it is low volume idem. Then because it is a low volume idem there is a stocking cost. Which is why the item is so expensive. You can run household appliances on 12v but you need an inverter to do this but most are expensive and the efficiency is lower. Makes the battery supplying it has to be large and needs to be charged more often and at a higher rate. There is no trade off that gives low power consumption and low cost. Maybe some day efficiency of appliances will be design in but not until the cost of energy is so high we are willing to pay for the engineering it will take to do it. It’s like cars over seas their cars are small and fuel efficient, the roads are narrow and the commercial trucks are small also. Cost of fuel is high. Here the commercial trucks are large because goods are moved over longer distances. Most people are afraid to drive small cars near these big trucks. The price of fuel is lower so we bye bigger cars that feel safer next to a 50’ 130000+ lb truck. It is not any safer in a major crash as a small car but size feels safer.

Chuck
Chuck a new td builder
Chuck Craven
500 Club

Postby madjack » Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:02 pm

Chuck I am in total agreement with you post but must make a correction...a big rig is 70'(app)long X 102" wide and weighs in at 80,000#max. Anything over that is considered oversized and must have signange to that effect...not that it would make much difference in a wreck with one
madjack(a 2million mile driver) 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Chuck Craven » Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:18 pm

Yes! Wisconsin builds big earth moving equipment and we see a lot of over size loads. Plus we see military flat beds with tanks on them they are over 130000 lbs with full armor. The military stuff does have convoy head and tale warning trucks but it is still unconformable passing them. They are usually slower than the rest of the traffic. When I go up to the northern part of Wisconsin. It is just one tractor-trailer after the other even on weekends. I have seen signs that declare 150000 lbs. I wonder how long it takes a truck with a 150k load to stop? Well that may be 150k with the truck but it still is big and heavy.
In the past few years we have been having a lot of accidents involving tractor-trailer rigs and people have been killed in most of them. Lots of tip-over on top of cars, we get high winds that come from no ware and around the hills. It’s even hard to control small SUV’s in that type of weather conditions. If a unfamiliar truck driver encounter them hear it’s tuff to control a big rig or even anticipate what is happing. :o

Chuck
Chuck a new td builder
Chuck Craven
500 Club

Previous

Return to Electrical Secrets