FAQ:12v Wire sizes and Fuses Made Easy

Anything electric, AC or DC

Re: FAQ:12v Wire sizes and Fuses Made Easy

Postby GerryS » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:31 pm

Not intending to be troll....I'll keep my mouth shut...
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Bogo » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:54 pm

It explains why all my GM vehicles end up needing their ground wires replaced with heavier ones.

Yes, I'm saying I think they are skimping on wire size.
Bogo
500 Club

Postby Bogo » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:04 pm

eamarquardt wrote:
MtnDon wrote:If the wires are large enough and not fused you can weld with DC.
If the wires are small enough and not fused they act like resistance heating element wires.

Depending on what yer trying to accomplish the above can come in handy.

You can even do some playing around like I did for one project and push 200 Amps through a 22 AWG wire. Just don't try to do it for extended periods like for more than a tenth of a second. :roll: :lol: It takes some time for the heat to build up enough that it acts like a fuse. Actually, that's all fuses are. A small piece of wire meant to burn up if to many amps try to pass through it. Usually they contain the wire in something, like a glass sleeve, that will keep the molten metal from damaging other things.
Bogo
500 Club

Postby eamarquardt » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:53 pm

Bogo wrote:
eamarquardt wrote:
MtnDon wrote:If the wires are large enough and not fused you can weld with DC.
If the wires are small enough and not fused they act like resistance heating element wires.

Depending on what yer trying to accomplish the above can come in handy.

You can even do some playing around like I did for one project and push 200 Amps through a 22 AWG wire. Just don't try to do it for extended periods like for more than a tenth of a second. :roll: :lol: It takes some time for the heat to build up enough that it acts like a fuse. Actually, that's all fuses are. A small piece of wire meant to burn up if to many amps try to pass through it. Usually they contain the wire in something, like a glass sleeve, that will keep the molten metal from damaging other things.

I have about a 12 gauge cable that is designed to carry about 250 amps. I've pushed it to about 300 amps on a couple of occasions. It only works well when I've turned on the water cooling system though. Ask me how I know it doesn't work well with the cooling system not turned on. I have, though, fabricated a couple of SST (Special Service Tools) and can repair a damaged cable for about $15 versus buying a new one for $60.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby teddy » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:14 am

I was a bit bored at work today, so i made this chart. Based on metric, so the feet are not well rounded numbers, and AWG may not be the most used ones. But it may provide a handy comparison between the 2 systems.

PDF version here
teddy
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Electrical Secrets