Heat lamp?

Anything electric, AC or DC

Postby kayakrguy » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:52 am

Tripper,

I put in two lights inside each door--for general lighting and something to easily turn on when 'coming home' i.e. these are NOT our reading lights, which are LED's.

The two lights came from an auto supply store--there retro dome lights with incandescent bulbs. They came with an insulation to mount underneath them--a 'felt like' material, which I think you can get at any electrical supply store.

Also, I did a test...I put the light on a piece of luan....turned it on and ran it for over an hour. Then I felt the wood behind it and it was barely warm (I did the test WITHOUT the insulation) Now, the reason the wood did not get hot was that the baseplate of the light has 4 'nubs' which raised it off the surface of the wood...but, screwed down, I think the insulation would be a must. If you can't get LED'[s for your fixture, get the insulating material...

Jim
A disposition to preserve, and an ability to improve, taken together, would be my standard of a statesman...

But what is liberty without wisdom, and without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible evils; for it is folly, vice, and madness, without tuition or restraint.

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Postby Tripmaker » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:01 am

I was told yesterday that Auto Zone has LED replacement bulbs. As soon as I check them out I'll let everyone know what I find. I think LED is the solution with virtually no heat generated. Thanks everyone.

Jim
Jim

I started with nothing and still have most of it left.
Tripmaker
500 Club

Postby Tripmaker » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:11 am

I didn't find them at Auto Zone but I ordered two here http://superbrightleds.com/. I ordered a 19LED cluster, equivelant to an 1156 bulb base. It has a blueish look to the light and it's not as bright as the incandecent bulb but it is bright enough to read by. The good news is virtually no heat generated. They were about $25 with shipping but should last forever.
Jim

Tripmaker
500 Club

Postby jplock » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:54 pm

Here is the way i did the light install.
jplock

:)
Keep smiling!
jplock
500 Club

Postby Tripmaker » Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:04 am

Looks good jplock! It looks like vent holes could be put in the sides of that housing to let the heat out if necessary.
Jim

Tripmaker
500 Club

Previous

Return to Electrical Secrets