How many different ways can we ask the same question?

Anything electric, AC or DC

How many different ways can we ask the same question?

Postby Mook » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:07 am

Just as my title says.

But here goes:

I'm not new to camping and /or modifying trailers. Albeit not a TD builder. We always take enclosed trailers and convert them. Our are always multiuse. We race, so we camp in the trailer at the track and then haul our toys to and from the track.

I'm in the process of working on my current trailer. I've down sized and am in a 6x12 Pace; down from a 8.5 x 20 Pace.

In my other trailers, we ALWAYS used shore power and nothing else. So wiring one up that way isn't a problem.

In this trailer, I'm going 12 volt. It's' taken me almost 2 months to FINALLY decide on a course of action. Now, I've read and reread and re-reread almost everything pertaining to the 12 volt side of life and feel confident in my choices for lighting and inverter and inverter size.

I know I want a solar panel. But I can't seem to decide if I want to go solar only or also have the provision for shore power.

Looking for some pros and cons of a multimodal system as opposed to a single mode system.

Thansk in advance for any opinions / advice.

Mike
The main thing to remember; is to keep the main thing, the main thing.
Mook
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Mook » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:39 am

Forgot to add one more question.

Power inverters:

Is there a way to run receptacles from the invert to other places in the trailer without excessive losses through the wiring?

Looking at putting 2 additional receptacles elswhere in the trailer to plug in a CPAP and cordless tool battery chargers etc.

Thanks!
Mook
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Dale M. » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:17 pm

IF you are going all DC (low voltage) just stay with concept.... BUT get decent charger to keep battery hot IF there is shore power available...

IF you do wire in AC you will tend to move everything in that direction because of availability of appliances and because they operate more efficiently than DC appliances.... And next time you are in situation where there is no shore power and battery is low, your AC blender is DEAD (no margaritas) .... You can always charge trailer battery off tow rig if there is no alternate charge source (shore power)...

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby bdosborn » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:56 pm

I have an 80W solar panel on my tear and shore power as well. I wouldn't go without either one. The shore power works great at night and on cloudy days, unlike the solar panel. ;)
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Mook » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:50 am

Thanks for the replies.

So, looks like I'll need a good charger to include in my scheme along with the inverter.

I just picked up a Coleman 1200 watt inverter off of FEEBAY for just a smidge over $70.00.

Got to looking, there are quite a few deals on converters from a guy called Keith's RV Salvage, prices don't seem too bad for a slightly used unit.

Now, to my next question. I had asked if someone could enlighten me as to the best way to run additional receptacles off of the inverter.

Thanks again for all of your replies.

Soon as I have something to look at. I PROMISE to post some pictures. I know how you LOVE those PICTURES!!!
Mook
Teardrop Inspector

The electrical saga continues.

Postby Mook » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:13 pm

Been doing some shopping on everyone's favorite...... FEEBAY.

As I mentioned, I got what I think is a decent deal on an inverter. Now, I'm shopping for my wire and the assorted bits you need to get the system up and running.

I've been pricing solar and have decided that I just can't afford it right now. But it is on the table for later when the funds allow.

I've been looking and it appears that I can pick up a new Inteeli Power converter and smart charger for about $120.00 plus shipping.

I know I see alot on here about WFCO converters, does anyone have an opinion about the IOTA or the INTELLIPOWER?

Also, there are quite a few listings for fuse blocks, wire, terminal blocks and the like there. Looks like I'll be buying up what I need there.

I have seen some combination Converter, Charger and fuse blocks for AC and DC on the 'Bay for less than $50.00.

Good Deal or not?

Thanks in advance.

Mook
Mook
Teardrop Inspector

Postby halfdome, Danny » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:35 pm

Here's something to keep in mind. My Battery tender and my solar panel have identical pigtail plugs. It's very easy to switch from a battery tender that runs off 110 volt to a solar panel, to charge your battery's. The wire in the top right corner goes to a pigtail for the solar panel. The wire top left goes to the batteries and is where I can switch charging mode.
:D Danny

ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Re: The electrical saga continues.

Postby Endo » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:00 pm

Mook wrote:
does anyone have an opinion about the IOTA or the INTELLIPOWER?

I have an IOTA. I think they are a good quality item. No problems with mine.
Brad (aka Endo)
ImageImage Image
In God We Trust
Endo
500 Club

Postby brian_bp » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:54 pm

Two separate issues:
Inverter sizing
An inverter always uses some power if it is turned on, even when nothing is plugged into it. A bigger inverter uses more power. A 1200 watt inverter probably uses 5 watts of power to do absolutely nothing. It makes sense to have a smaller inverter, and use that one for the less-demanding AC stuff, to waste less battery power.

Extending power
Always extend the 120VAC, not the 12VDC. So it you want outlets at each end of the trailer, don't put an inverter at each end and make the power flow as a high current of low voltage (12V) to each one; instead, put the inverter right beside the battery with really short DC supply cables, and extend the smaller current of 120VAC power to wherever you need it.

The current on the AC side of the inverter will be about 10 times lower than the DC side (because the voltage is about 10 times higher), and power lost to resistance depends heavily on current, so you lose less power if the long runs are in the high voltage.
brian_bp
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Electrical Secrets