How to drill for a self-tapping metal screw for ground wire?

Anything electric, AC or DC

How to drill for a self-tapping metal screw for ground wire?

Postby kayakrguy » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:15 am

Folks,

I need to attach my electrical ground to my trailer frame. I know the hitch has a self-tapping screw for the car wire ground for the running and brake lights. I am mounting electrical in the rear and would rather not have to rub ground wire all the way to the front. But, I have never drilled for self tapping screws...does it require a special drill bit?

Help appreciated!

Thanks,

Jim
A disposition to preserve, and an ability to improve, taken together, would be my standard of a statesman...

But what is liberty without wisdom, and without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible evils; for it is folly, vice, and madness, without tuition or restraint.

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:30 am

Generally a self tapping screw doesn't need a predrilled hole. For example when putting together aluminum gutters and down spouts. Since you are screwing into steel you'll need to use a high speed drill bit (common drill bit) and size the drill bit to the size of the shank of the screw not counting the screw threads, I would size it a smidgen larger too. I would scrape or better yet grind off any paint and use a large head screw for best contact for your ground. :) Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby kayakrguy » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:45 am

Thanks, Dan

Jim
A disposition to preserve, and an ability to improve, taken together, would be my standard of a statesman...

But what is liberty without wisdom, and without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible evils; for it is folly, vice, and madness, without tuition or restraint.

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Return to Electrical Secrets