Spade termianls

Anything electric, AC or DC

Postby jplock » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:19 pm

Rick,
I used Spade lugs on stranded wire also. A trick I learned working at Seismograph on wiring that went to the oil patch was that after crimping the spade lugs we heated up the lugs and flowed solder into the crimp connection to prevent future corosion and high resistance joints due to corrosion. I did all my TD wiring that way.
jplock
:) :) :)
Keep smiling!
jplock
500 Club

Postby madjack » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:38 pm

jplock wrote: we heated up the lugs and flowed solder into the crimp connection

...we do the same JP...it's cheap insurance........................... 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Geron » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:34 am

Do ya'll use an iron or torch to heat the lug/wire. I pulled out my little gun and it wouldn't get the lug/wire hot enough to flow the solder - must be busted.

g
If it's not broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby angib » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:52 am

jplock wrote:we heated up the lugs and flowed solder into the crimp connection

You have to make sure that you only flow enough solder to fill the wire strands inside the crimp - if you supply any more solder, it will wick up the strands of the wire a long way and turn it into a solid wire - which then risks failing because of any vibration, though I'm not sure a teardrop will ever see enough vibration to do this.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Geron » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:57 am

angib wrote:
jplock wrote:we heated up the lugs and flowed solder into the crimp connection

You have to make sure that you only flow enough solder to fill the wire strands inside the crimp - if you supply any more solder, it will wick up the strands of the wire a long way and turn it into a solid wire - which then risks failing because of any vibration, though I'm not sure a teardrop will ever see enough vibration to do this.

Andrew

Like clip a heat sink (vice grips :lol: ) right behind the lug then flow from the open end of the lug?

g
If it's not broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby jplock » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:20 pm

Just use a small pencil iron tin the soler on the iron tip with fresh solder, then touch the lug once the lug heats up flow just enough solder in to secure the crimp. If it starts wicking into the wire you will notice it softening and deforming. At that point cut off the lug and start over. You might want to do some practice before doing it on the real work.
jplock
:) :) :)
Keep smiling!
jplock
500 Club

Previous

Return to Electrical Secrets