Fantastic Fan Question

Anything electric, AC or DC

Fantastic Fan Question

Postby Mary K » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:32 pm

Okay, Question No. 1 Do I have to have the fan installed before I skin the exterior?

No. 2 If not, where does the wiring hook up? Front , back, left (driver side) or right (passenger side)???
I need to know where to route the wires. :R :oops:

Thanks!!

Mk
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Re: Fantastic Fan Question

Postby Geron » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:45 pm

Mary K wrote:Okay, Question No. 1 Do I have to have the fan installed before I skin the exterior?

No. 2 If not, where does the wiring hook up? Front , back, left (driver side) or right (passenger side)???
I need to know where to route the wires. :R :oops:

Thanks!!

Mk

Well, the way I did it, Wire it in before skinning and let the wires dangle. Then put the exterior skin on. The fan goes on top of the skin in order to seal water tight. Wire the dude in and poke the wires in the space between the framing and the fan (see below)

The wires on mine (I have the 4000r) are on the front of the fan on the drivers side. That is with the opening of the lid facing the rear of the TD. the fan is 14x14" and the opening should be 14 1/2x 14 1/2 to have room for the wiring (1/4 inch on each side). Framing for the fan should be at least 2" stock (1 1/2 x 1 1/2 inch) actual for plenty of room to screw the fan down.

I'm sure I missed something but stand ready to be corrected.

Yeah, I missed something. You need to cut out the inside skin so the wires can dangle inside the tear. Mount it and wire it from the inside.

g
If it's not broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Fantastic Fan Question

Postby Mary K » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:51 pm

Geron wrote:
Mary K wrote:Well, the way I did it, Wire it in before skinning and let the wires dangle. Then put the exterior skin on. The fan goes on top of the skin in order to seal water tight. Wire the dude in and poke the wires in the space between the framing and the fan (see below)

The wires on mine (I have the 4000r) are on the front of the fan on the drivers side. That is with the opening of the lid facing the rear of the TD. the fan is 14x14" and the opening should be 14 1/2x 14 1/2 to have room for the wiring (1/4 inch on each side). Framing for the fan should be at least 2" stock (1 1/2 x 1 1/2 inch) actual for plenty of room to screw the fan down.

I'm sure I missed something but stand ready to be corrected.

g

Perfect, That is exactly what I wanted to know. I don't have the funds yet to buy the fan, but I will be ready to skin very soon!!!

Thanks Geron, You Rock!!! :thumbsup:

Mk
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby madjack » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:55 pm

Mk, we framed the hole 14.25x14.25, this made for a nice cozy fit...if you frame 14.25 or 14.50 it will give plenty of room for the wiring to run anwhere you need to hook up the fan...skin the top out first...I would also go ahead and cut your headliner(ceiling) first as well so you are not trying to figure exactly where the framing is later...I wuz thinkin" that the wire wuz on the passenger side but that wuz over a year ago and CRS rules in this case...
madjack
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Mary K » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:53 pm

madjack wrote:Mk, we framed the hole 14.25x14.25, this made for a nice cozy fit...if you frame 14.25 or 14.50 it will give plenty of room for the wiring to run anwhere you need to hook up the fan...skin the top out first...I would also go ahead and cut your headliner(ceiling) first as well so you are not trying to figure exactly where the framing is later...I wuz thinkin" that the wire wuz on the passenger side but that wuz over a year ago and CRS rules in this case...
madjack
madjack 8)

Ya know, I LOVE this place!!!

Thanks MJ, I'll just leave plenty -o- wire hanging. !!! :thumbsup:

Mk
Mary K

Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby tonyj » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:03 pm

I agree with Geron--wiring on the driver side front, and I think I framed mine at 14-1/14 square like MJ. Why didn't you ask this question a year ago when I could have told you fur sure?

Can't wait to see your trailer in Ocotber at the LCGII.
Still graced with two eyes and ten fingers (due in no small part to luck!).

Just when you think a problem is solved, an uglier result replaces it.

tony
tonyj
Super Lifetime Member

Postby asianflava » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:23 pm

I cutout the opening with a router and a pattern bit. Be careful not to cut your wire when cutting out the opening. Ask me how I know. :oops:
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Mary K » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:24 pm

tonyj wrote:I agree with Geron--wiring on the driver side front, and I think I framed mine at 14-1/14 square like MJ. .

Saaaaweet!!! Thanks :thumbsup:

tonyj wrote:Why didn't you ask this question a year ago when I could have told you fur sure?.

Because the only Teardrops I knew about was the ones that fell in your beer.

tonyj wrote:Can't wait to see your trailer in Ocotber at the LCGII.

:o What? I have to bring my trailer???? :disappointed: OH NO!!!

HAHA Just Kidding :lol:

Thanks again,

Mk
Mary K

Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby tonyj » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:44 pm

Mary K wrote:
:o What? I have to bring my trailer???? :disappointed: OH NO!!!

Mk

You don't have to bring your trailer, but if it rains, you're gonna get wet. And with the alligators swimmin' just a few feet off shore, you don't want to be sleeping on the ground! Can we say "snack time!"
Still graced with two eyes and ten fingers (due in no small part to luck!).

Just when you think a problem is solved, an uglier result replaces it.

tony
tonyj
Super Lifetime Member

Postby bledsoe3 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:37 am

asianflava wrote:I cutout the opening with a router and a pattern bit. Be careful not to cut your wire when cutting out the opening. Ask me how I know. :oops:

O.K. How do you know? :lol:
BTW, I did mine like Geron.
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Geron » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:32 am

Mary K,

To be sure about the wiring why don't you call and talk to 'dis guy
http://members.aol.com/fantasticvent/

He's extremely helpful and the wiring may vary from model to model. On my first TD the wiring was at the back on the Driver's side.
You know, Just to be sure.

g
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby toypusher » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:55 am

MK,

Like most everyone else, I framed the opening 14 1/4 x 14 1/4 and ran the wiring into the street side of the opening. I then covered the whole thing and used a router to cut it out later. If you leave enough extra wire then the orientation will not matter as you will be able to run the wiring around the fan to any side. I do wish that I had made the opening 14 1/2 though.
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Geron » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:25 am

toypusher wrote:MK,

Like most everyone else, I framed the opening 14 1/4 x 14 1/4 and ran the wiring into the street side of the opening. I then covered the whole thing and used a router to cut it out later. If you leave enough extra wire then the orientation will not matter as you will be able to run the wiring around the fan to any side. I do wish that I had made the opening 14 1/2 though.

I framed my first on 14 1/4 square. That's why I framed my second one 14 1/2 square ;)

g
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby asianflava » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:26 am

bledsoe3 wrote:
asianflava wrote:I cutout the opening with a router and a pattern bit. Be careful not to cut your wire when cutting out the opening. Ask me how I know. :oops:

O.K. How do you know? :lol:
BTW, I did mine like Geron.

I just cut a notch in the adjoining framework for the wire to poke thru between the skin and the frame. The hole was totally enclosed (both sides) when I cutout the hole. I made a miscalculation as to where the wire was. I only cut one of the 2 conductors (not all the way). I don't remember how big I made the hole but it was really tight.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby madjack » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:54 am

Geron wrote:
toypusher wrote:MK,

I framed my first on 14 1/4 square. That's why I framed my second one 14 1/2 square ;)

g

yep, that is why I said "cozy"...whatever you do, don't make it 14"s even or you will need a sledge hammer to make it fit and that would probably scar up the dome :D ;)
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Next

Return to Electrical Secrets