?? Re Radio Power Wiring

Anything electric, AC or DC

?? Re Radio Power Wiring

Postby Nobody » Sun May 13, 2007 10:07 am

I'm getting ready to install a small Voyager Stereo Radio/CD in the TD. It is mfg'd for the RV/Van industry & uses 12v power. Comes with complete wiring color codes but no actual installation instructions. Most everything is pretty self evident however, there are three wires for power, one of course is the ground, another says 'battery', & another says 'ignition'. I'm assuming (yeah, I know what that makes me :roll: ) that the battery wire is to keep the clock/memory circuits active at all times, & the ignition is to disable the actual radio/CD portion when the unit is installed in a van/RV. My question - since I don't have any 'switched' ignition circuit in the TD, do I connect both power wires to a fused battery terminal, or will the 'ignition' wire be sufficient since it will be 'hot' all the time?

Image[url][/url]
Harvey -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Doing the right thing ain't always easy but, . . . it's always right!
Nobody
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bledsoe3 » Sun May 13, 2007 10:34 am

I think it would work as you described. You would have to remember to turn it off after each use to avoid a drain on your battery. Or you could wire to the battery and put a switch in line with the ignition wire.
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Greg M » Sun May 13, 2007 10:50 am

I agree with Bledsoe on putting a switch inline on the ignition wire. A lot of car stereos will turn on lights and other circuits whenever the ignition is on, regardless of whether the unit is on or not. It would be easy enough to determine if yours works like this. Just connect the batt line through an ammeter (multimeter) and then hook up the ignition and see if the current draw increases. No increase, no worries. Increase, add a switch.

-Greg
Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach a person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.
Greg M
*Geek Extraordinaire

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sun May 13, 2007 10:57 am

I put an LED rocker switch on the headboard cabinet for that ignition switch. When we are ready to turn off the radio it's just a simple flick of a switch. I had to put a round sticker over the light since one small LED in a dark tear is quite bright. I like the light idea so you don't forget to turn off the ignition switch to save battery power and to find it in the dark. :D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Sonetpro » Sun May 13, 2007 12:08 pm

I did the same as Danny did.
The push-pull boat switch in the upper right is the "ignition switch". It switch's the stereo and the voltmeter.

}><)))'> ~--------------·´¯) SteveT
You don't know what the limit's are until you take it there.ImageImageImage
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Return to Electrical Secrets